Blackberry Storm-Like App: Good idea? Bad idea?

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone owned a blackberry storm previously, but there was a feature that i kind of took for granted until i was without it. There was a standard feature that allowed you to edit settings for taking your phone in and out of a case. For instance you could set whether or not you wanted your phone to unlock everytime u took it out, or if you wanted to still manually press the unlock key. Or you could set whether you wanted to automatically answer a call when you took it out of the case, or if you wanted to manually press the answer key.

I was wondering if there is an app for this? It's actually a very useful feature that, like i said, didn't realize how useful it was until i didnt have it anymore! If not, maybe someone would be kind enough to tackle this project? :)

mjs31

Reaction score
The issue with this revolves around the use of magnets. This is how Blackberries know whether it is in the case or not. Magnets on the Droid tell the phone that it is in the dock, so they are two different things. There have been some that had issues using the bb cases on the droid because of the magnets. This being said, there was an app in the market that did something like you are asking. I never tried it, but I believe it was able to disable the magnet in the Droid and from there could do different things. As mentioned, I never did try it out.

Like you, I miss that feature but that is just something that blackberries had built in via the magnets.

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
There has to be some other way to implement this than via magnets... Maybe using the accelerometer or proximity sensor? Or different magnet placement even?

PS Could you try to find out the name of that app? I'd atleast like to give it a try :)

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone owned a blackberry storm previously, but there was a feature that i kind of took for granted until i was without it.
That's a standard feature on all BB's -- not just the Storm.:p