Bionic will not power on...then will...odd, help please

jdouble777

Reaction score
Some of this may be my fault in that I have a charger for the wall that only require the battery, two of them actually, and four batteries...so I constantly carry extra fully charged batteries and swap them out as needed. I basically never actually charge my phone. I have done this for a LONG time with this being my 3rd Bionic, never had an issue. Then, over the weekend my phone suddenly would not power on. I reviewed some articles and have been implementing a method suggested by others of taking out SIM, SD, battery and allowing it sit....then I put them back in and it does not come on, then I hold volume down and hit power for a minute, then it does not work, then after pushing at it and using different batteries (all undoubtedly fully charged) it randomly comes on. This has happened for days now. The first time it happened it died while I was sleeping so I thought that an app was running while it died that caused it to "boot cycle," but that is not the case because every since I have powered it down myself each time. Argh

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Also check contacts and make sure they're still pressing firmly against the contact surfaces on the batteries. You may want to take a pencil eraser and gently rub the contact points on the batteries, but DON'T do so on the contact points in the phone. I believe they're Gold-plated, so they won't corrode. They may be either spring-loaded or simply spring steel with Gold plating. Either way, with all the removing and replacing of batteries that you do, you've likely stressed the "spring" in the contacts and they may now be intermittent, which would explain the "random" powering up and then not powering up the next time.

OP
J

jdouble777

Reaction score
Not rooted...ICS all natural

I will send a pic later, but the contact points on the batteries are not like that...two thin gold plates along each side of their crevasses with a nipple on each side also...you can find pic by Google search for extended battery for Bionic...

Thank you SO MUCH for your time and consideration!

OP
J

jdouble777

Reaction score
Exactly, not sure that rubbing onto the nipples would change anything....no?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, so from the pic [FONT=Titillium Web, sans-serif]bweN diorD [/FONT]posted, it appears the battery contains the spring-loaded contacts and the phone itself has simply 4 shunts or raised contact rails onto which the battery rests down over. This means that the batteries may have begun to lose their contact "springiness'. The contacts are apparently all Gold plated, but the plating is VERY thin and with excessive repeated removal and replacement the Gold can wear off exposing the less stable metal beneath. This can allow that unprotected metal to begin to corrode preventing good electrical contact.

I would try a brand new battery in there, and see if the intermittent functionality continues. Anytime I have an intermittent problem that relates to power, I always look at the path from the power source to the device, as in the most frequent cases it's a bad contact or loose wire - an easy fix.