Bionic shut off for the first time today.. Help!

Mondingo

Reaction score
Ok so today my BIONIC turned off by itself today for the first time. Would not turn back on without pulling the battery out. The battery though did not not drain much but it was hot to the touch. I know a bunch of other guys are having the same problem.what is the fix? Thanks guys.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

TomSr

Reaction score
Ok so today my BIONIC turned off by itself today for the first time. Would not turn back on without pulling the battery out. The battery though did not not drain much but it was hot to the touch. I know a bunch of other guys are having the same problem.what is the fix? Thanks guys.

My BIONIC has done that once, only once. I figure it is a fluke and am not upset about it. After all, computers sometime freeze or crash and the Bionic is, in reality, a miniature computer. If it happens frequently then I would complain to Verizon/Motorola.

Tom

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
My BIONIC has done that once, only once. I figure it is a fluke and am not upset about it. After all, computers sometime freeze or crash and the Bionic is, in reality, a miniature computer. If it happens frequently then I would complain to Verizon/Motorola.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. I actually called Verizon and spoke to a really nice lady. She said that since I am within 14 days she will replace the phone with a brand new one. Even though it is probably a fix with an update, I will see how the new one does before I return out. And I will make sure it is a new one.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if the new one does it. Its a fairly common problem with the Bionics with no known fix right now besides a battery pull. The phone doesn't actually shut down it just becomes unresponsive. Nobody to my knowledge has found a correlation between the black screen of death and a certain app or setting as of yet. One thing you can try that has worked for some people is to use the "performance " battery mode under the battery status menu. I've had it happen to me twice the first two days I had it (I got it on the 7th) and it hasn't happened since. I've tried to replicate it to narrow down the source but I haven't been successful.

Oh yes on more thing, another option you can try is to not use the "in pocket detection ".

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC

jwtech

Reaction score
I've had the same problem. Usually it's just a dark screen that requires a battery pull. Once it was just unresponsive to any buttons. It's happened 6 or 7 times now. It usually happens while it is in screen lock mode (in my pocket or in the case). I've had mine since the day it came out.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've had the same problem. Usually it's just a dark screen that requires a battery pull. Once it was just unresponsive to any buttons. It's happened 6 or 7 times now. It usually happens while it is in screen lock mode (in my pocket or in the case). I've had mine since the day it came out.
yeah that exact thing has happened to me a couple times as well....but overall the Bionic has been performing superbly.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The phone doesn't actually shut down it just becomes unresponsive. Nobody to my knowledge has found a correlation between the black screen of death and a certain app or setting as of yet.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC

One thing I've heard was that the GO Widgets or WeatherBug were causing a problem. I've had it happen to me twice so far and while I don't have GO Launcher, I do have Weatherbug. I do have to agree that nobody has found exactly what's causing it.

jayrod718

Reaction score
The fix is to change the battery mode to performance mode. This is the same issue and fix that the moto atrix had.

OP
M

Mondingo

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help...

skeezicks

Reaction score
The fix is to change the battery mode to performance mode. This is the same issue and fix that the moto atrix had.

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I've experienced this issue, too; I try to turn on my Bionic and it's totally unresponsive, necessitating that I pull that battery. It's happened three times over the past three weeks, which is infrequent enought that I cant' discern a pattern. I do know, however, that I've had my battery mode set to "performance mode" the whole time I've owned it.

I was going to post a query as to whether I might have a defective model, but it seems like this problem is not uncommon, albeit infrequent. Yes, I'm running Go Widgets, although there's nothing in my experience pointing the finger at that as the culprit.

wseyller

Reaction score
It is just amazing to me when I hear so many issues people have with the bionic. I have none of these issues I hear over and over again. I got mine release day when the doors opened at the verizon store. I am a super heavy user as well. Am I really that lucky? I really suspect that some people do something to the phone with out realizing it that causes these problems and the user possibly suspects a defect in the phone itself. I believe some problems are valid but I am willing to bet most are user created.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jwtech

Reaction score
I agree that the Bionic is great in all other aspects. I just switched to performance mode but after the last posting I don't have a lot of confidence in that solving the problem.

ragland223

Reaction score
phone shut down

My Bionic shut down 3 times and the only fix was a battery pull. Went to Verizon and they told me it was most likely the task killer I had installed. There is a task killer already in the Bionic and the two task killers were probably causing the problem. Has been fine since. Other than that the only other problem was with the notification light. I downloaded the free version of Light Flow and that was all it needed. Works great.

Infiniti87

Reaction score
It happens with performance mode and it happens without performance mode. It happens with Go Widgets and it happens without Go Widgets. It happens with "in pocket detection" and it happens without "in pocket detection" .It seems to happen to some people but not others and out of those people it happens more frequently than with the others. I have been trying all sorts of combinations of apps and settings that people "claim" cause the problem but I have not been able to replicate the problem. I have not had a black screen of death issue since the 9th. It has to be a software glitch in some way shape or form somewhere in the system.

Sent from the rocket in my pocket, my all powerful DROID BIONIC.

dannyro

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me today. I did not know anyone was having issues with this as I've had my phone since launch day and have not experienced this until today. I actually didn't even know what to do; I did a battery pull as a guess and it came back on just fine. Like another poster said once in awhile is no big deal; it's a computer and stuff happens. I dont use Go Widgets and my battery is in Nighttime saver mode for the record. I have not installed a task killer and I did not remove the one that came with the phone.