Bionic not working with docks after flashing .246 FXZ

matthimrod

Reaction score
This is what I get from dmesg when I connect my phone to a monitor using a microHDMI-to-HDMI cable connected to a HDMI-to-DVI adapter:

Code:
<4>[154779.350585,0] HDCP: invalid AKSV
<3>[154779.350708,0] omapdss HDMI error: *** INVALID AKSV: 0 Do not perform HDCP AUTHENTICATION
<4>[154779.475616,1] HDCP: invalid AKSV
<3>[154779.475738,1] hdcp_3des_cb: hdcp_keys not loaded = 0
<3>[154779.475982,1] omapdss HDMI error: *** INVALID AKSV: 0 Do not perform HDCP AUTHENTICATION
<3>[154779.577270,1] omapdss DISPC error: timeout waiting for EVSYNC
<4>[154779.578247,1] hdtv: Already Active

These errors are likely because my monitor does not support HDCP.

I can't help you any further with this problem. (I suspect if I could, I would have resolved my own issue weeks ago.)

if you don't mind, can you please provide the hdmi section of yours (which has a working hdmi), so I can make a compare?

taller238

Reaction score
I just found moto-fastboot and tried to partially flash the "vendor.img", which was extracted from the 6.7.246 stock rom zip.
But to my surprise, I got the following error:

c:\falsh\fastboot flash webtop vendor.img

load_file: could not allocate 1397489664 bytes
error: cannot load 'vendor.img'

So what's wrong with that?

Thanks.

Yes. 98.72.22 is the latest OTA update. If it's failing to install, you must have modified one of your partitions in some way that is causing the update checks to fail.

The "partial flash" that I referred to was taking the 98.72.22 system images and flashing the partitions manually. This allowed me to skip the commands that would have reformatted the userdata (/data) and emstorage (/mnt/sdcard) partitions. It's the whole version, just without clearing all data from the phone. If you're still on .246, you'll need to do this with the .246 files before completing your upgrade. You shouldn't try to flash 98.72.22 with moto-fastboot (or RSD Lite for that matter) without clearing your userdata and emstorage partitions because the scripts that upgrade your system databases will not run.

I was not having any issues with the HDMI port, so I can't speak to whether or not reflashing using the 98.72.22 files will resolve your issue. My issue is specifically with docks that use the USB port.

matthimrod

Reaction score
I just found moto-fastboot and tried to partially flash the "vendor.img", which was extracted from the 6.7.246 stock rom zip.
But to my surprise, I got the following error:

c:\falsh\fastboot flash webtop vendor.img

load_file: could not allocate 1397489664 bytes
error: cannot load 'vendor.img'

So what's wrong with that?

Thanks.

You need to use Motorola's Fastboot "moto-fastboot". It can flash the larger partition images that are too large for the standard Fastboot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

taller238

Reaction score
I found one moto-fastboot.exe with size 90,523 and date 6/24/2011. but the same error.
Can you help to get a link?

Thanks.

You need to use Motorola's Fastboot "moto-fastboot". It can flash the larger partition images that are too large for the standard Fastboot.

Ratamacue2

Reaction score
Since the JB update breathed new life into our phones, I decided to blow $19(!) on a new desk dock and car dock. Like the OP, my Bionic won't recognize either one. It will charge, but will not enter the appropriate mode. This of course is on bone stock (rooted) JB 4.1.2.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Uninstall updates to Google Play Music (The most recent update broke dock modes)
2. Disable/enable Googleth Play Music
3. Clear app data: Desk Dock, DockComm, Vehicle Mode. (Motorola Dock Helper Service and Motorola Dock Service "clear data" buttons are greyed out.)
4. Reboot/extended battery pull on phone and recycle power on docks
5. Attempt to dock in Safe Mode
6. FDR (shortly after the JB soak test OTA went out) and again very recently.
7. Went to the local VZW store where they had a working desk dock and webtop dock. When placed in the webtop (which uses HDMI, I realize), everything worked as it should. In the desk dock, nothing (except of course that the phone started charging).

The OP and a poster on a different forum had this issue crop up immediately after doing a fastboot back to stock 246. I didn't purchase my docks until after the JB update, so I have no way of knowing for sure when this issue began. I did FXZ to stock 246 ICS with RSDLITE before the update, and given the experience of the other poster it sure looks as if something during that process breaks the ability of the phone to recognize the docks.

I just can't believe that a full blown rebuild won't fix this.

matthimrod

Reaction score
I haven't tried flashing 98.72.22 without modifying it to retain data. I want to try that next but I need a free weekend to do so. (By the way, I'm here too.)

Ratamacue2

Reaction score
I haven't tried flashing 98.72.22 without modifying it to retain data. I want to try that next but I need a free weekend to do so. (By the way, I'm here too.)

It doesn't make intuitive sense (to me) that FXZ to 246 caused this or that flashing 98.72.22 (even keeping data) didn't fix it. Unfortunately, the only thing that folks seem to be able to consistently reproduce is breaking the docks.

matthimrod

Reaction score
It doesn't make intuitive sense (to me) that FXZ to 246 caused this or that flashing 98.72.22 (even keeping data) didn't fix it. Unfortunately, the only thing that folks seem to be able to consistently reproduce is breaking the docks.

I agree. I don't think it'll work, but I want to make one last try. If only there was some way to go back to .905. I know it worked there, but is the issue even with the system image?

Ratamacue2

Reaction score
...but is the issue even with the system image?
It's certainly tempting to suspect the system image, but I agree with you; this issue could have been created by any number of other things in this process.

matthimrod

Reaction score
It's certainly tempting to suspect the system image, but I agree with you; this issue could have been created by any number of other things in this process.

Right. That's what I was getting at. There's a "device tree" partition in the image too. I have wondered if that has anything to do with it.

I know that the .905 images were fine... if only there was a way to go back to .905 and apply the OTAs... (Did I say that here already? I've been thinking it for a few days.)

OP
B

bionicDock

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm glad there are people still trying to fix this issue, I regularly check back here to see if there have been any new posts. If someone does manage to find a fix for the issue I would greatly appreciate it. While my jerry-rigged fix does do the job, it has quite a few issues which get pretty irritating. (car dock app slow to launch, audio cut outs, etc.) From what I've seen so far flashing the FXZ is the root of the problem. It makes me wonder if there is just something missing in the FXZ files that was present in the original GB ROM. Maybe someone could compare the files that come with the two somehow. I tried contacting Motorola to see if ANYONE could help me with it, but all I got was support reps telling me that flashing FXZ files is a no no, and it's my fault for breaking it. (in less direct words of course). Anyway, just wanted to keep this thread alive. Hopefully someone will discover a true fix.

Cheers,

NCB

matthimrod

Reaction score
... all I got was support reps telling me that flashing FXZ files is a no no, and it's my fault for breaking it.

You would think there'd be some sort of legitimate way to factory restore a phone that had been tampered with. Has anyone posted on the Motorola support forums?

Ratamacue2

Reaction score
A poster over at XDA just had this issue rear its ugly head after flashing 98.72.22. They also did an FXZ to ICS, but the docks worked fine after that.

It looks as if there is more than one way to break it.

Kep2078

Reaction score
I have 2 bionics. both on 246 ics
one works fine with dock
second can't see dock and have warm battery and huge battery drain (about 10% per hour). Donno how to fix it.