Bionic battery life

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I said have a charger for your car(s), house, work desk, etc and maybe a spare somewhere, YOU are the one that interpreted it as a billion chargers. A charger for where you are at most of the time isn't much to ask for, for these smart phones. I can play Star Legends at work in-between things and kill the battery in an hour. What's wrong with docking it or charging it when it's not in use. They're smart enough to send a trickle charge when full, feel you phone in the morning after it has been charging all night, not hot right? it's been trickle charging.

That is having a billion chargers if you should charge it at all of those places. Seems like a lot of chargers to me, but you go ahead and keep your phone fully juiced every second you can and I'll charge my phone my way.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe having to resort in charging your phone multiple times per day because it's not "Just a phone" is entirely the wrong idea. Mobile devices are important and useful because they're mobile, removing that aspect is removing the core ability they serve in our lives.

Buying 10 chargers is not the answer.

Manufacturers making sure hardware and battery life are parallel in advancement is paramount.

Reaction score
I believe having to resort in charging your phone multiple times per day because it's not "Just a phone" is entirely the wrong idea. Mobile devices are important and useful because they're mobile, removing that aspect is removing the core ability they serve in our lives.

Buying 10 chargers is not the answer.

Manufacturers making sure hardware and battery life are parallel in advancement is paramount.

Which is why if portability with long battery life is essential to you then buy a dumb phone. You'd be on it less and you'd be using it for phone only. You cant piss and moan about a battery life when you're getting push email, sync'd accounts, web browsing, and time spent wasted on different apps. You cannot be accustomed to basic phone battery life with smartphone capabilities. The argument we make is that you should charge your phone when conveniently available. If im going from place to place I plug in my car charger, if im at work I have a wall charger if I have some down time.

And of course overall battery life depends on its usage. you check it a lot, youre battery will drain faster. What the smartphone manufacturers are doing is try to strike an even balance between our need for faster technology, and improving battery life to keep up with the power demands of said technology. Plain and simple, expect no more then 8 hr battery life with moderate use.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which is why if portability with long battery life is essential to you then buy a dumb phone. You'd be on it less and you'd be using it for phone only. You cant piss and moan about a battery life when you're getting push email, sync'd accounts, web browsing, and time spent wasted on different apps. You cannot be accustomed to basic phone battery life with smartphone capabilities. The argument we make is that you should charge your phone when conveniently available. If im going from place to place I plug in my car charger, if im at work I have a wall charger if I have some down time.

And of course overall battery life depends on its usage. you check it a lot, youre battery will drain faster. What the smartphone manufacturers are doing is try to strike an even balance between our need for faster technology, and improving battery life to keep up with the power demands of said technology. Plain and simple, expect no more then 8 hr battery life with moderate use.

I believe you're inadvertently agreeing with me, but are failing to see the point I'm making. If I want a portable device that needs to be charged constantly, I'll buy a laptop, it's screen is larger, has a full keyboard and CPU/GPU will smoke a smart phone's.

As long as they're attempting to create a small/mobile device, they also need to keep in mind what the average user is going to be doing with said device, aka being away from an electrical outlet.

I have no problem charging my phone when I have down time, I'm often close to a charger, but that doesn't mean this should be their end all solution, as this reduces the importance of the advancement of future battery technology.

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
I don't know why we're even discussing it about this phone. Everything I've read says the bionic has great battery life.

On another note, the battery life depends on taste I suppose, but for those of you who don't care about battery life, why haven't you just gotten a TB?

NOT trying to start a flame war here so please keep it civil!

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know why we're even discussing it about this phone. Everything I've read says the bionic has great battery life.

On another note, the battery life depends on taste I suppose, but for those of you who don't care about battery life, why haven't you just gotten a TB?

NOT trying to start a flame war here so please keep it civil!

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

Probably because they have been wanting dual core. It was soon after we all found out about the TB last year that we had heard about Olympus and Etna being the new dual core "must have" phones.

Honestly, the whole reason I came to these forums to begin with was because I was interested in the TB. Did I end up getting one....no way. Too many problems.

jasonrobb

Reaction score
I have a charger in my bathrooms, two in my kitchen, in my living room, in my hallway, in my basement, in my closets, the exact same setup at all my friends houses, at the kroger I shop at, I try to keep two taped to my body at all times (depending on what I'm wearing) and one inside and that means I just need one battery. Now who's the fool.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

diesburg

Reaction score
Testers are saying the battery life is great but relative to what? I'm sure it will be alot better than other phones, but it doesn't matter if a Smartphone has a 3000 mAh battery, you should ALWAYS have it charging when its not in use and possible. You should have a Desk dock for work, a car charger for all vehicles you uses daily, a charging dock for your nightstand/bedroom, a charger in your home office and a couple charges in other places you use alot like a spare in the glove compartment when visiting friend's house for a while. This isn't a moto RAZR, you must have it charging all the time and you will never have a problem with battery life.

This info couldnt be more incorrect. what you just said, charging all the time will highly decrease the lifespan of a battery.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This info couldnt be more incorrect. what you just said, charging all the time will highly decrease the lifespan of a battery.

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

I disagree... that was the case for NiCad and NiMH, but not so much for Li Ion/LiPo's... high heat will degrade the phone's battery, but there are safeguards in the charging system to prevent excessive heat... one to maintain a healthy battery, and two, to keep it from going boom (and yes, that is the technical term).

tshow84

Reaction score
I disagree... that was the case for NiCad and NiMH, but not so much for Li Ion/LiPo's... high heat will degrade the phone's battery, but there are safeguards in the charging system to prevent excessive heat... one to maintain a healthy battery, and two, to keep it from going boom (and yes, that is the technical term).

oh man, you guys are on the right track but no one mentions the real difference between Ni-Cad/Ni-MH and lithium ion/polymer. NiCad and NiMH batteries have memory, in other words, when you dont discharge and recharge them to empty and full respectively, they 'remember' (in reality, the non-charged portion changes its physical state and prevents the cells from charging/discharging) and for the most part will never be able to charge more than that (much worse for Cad than for MH) - if you charge one that was at 20% to 80% you now have 60% battery, very often forever. Enter lithium batteries - no memory. the trick with these is that each individual cell has a certain amount of charges before it cant be recharged anymore. the average lithium ion battery has 500 charges before it reaches its half life and 1000 before it dies. if you constantly charge lithium ion/polymer batteries, say you never get below 60%, then you are only killing the top 40%. so, for general longevity of your lithium battery, its recommended to discharge to no less than 15% and always charge to 100% leaving it on the charger for an extra hour or so to get a full 100% charge. i know a lot of you don't have the convience of being near a charger for 3-4 hours when your batteries would get to around 15%. i think that each of us needs to do what is most convenient to us - if you need to charge it constantly because you always need to have access no matter what and never really know when you'll be near a charger again, then do it, just know what you are doing and the consequences associated with charging it that way. and stop complaining that batteries havent kept up with other tech - if you want laptop specs in your 1/15 the size device, than you can expect the same loss in battery life - except that you get better battery life than that with smartphones.

just out of curiousity, when some of you say that you have charging all day at work, does that mean that you are constantly taking it off the charger and putting it back on? or are you leaving it on the charger all day? because when im at work, i have a computer in front of me that i can use the google all i want, plus im at work so using my phone for gaming isnt exactly what im getting paid for....if youre not at a job with a computer most likely youre not allowed to be using your phone or at least not the extent where it needs to be on and off the charger constantly. i go to work with anywhere from 100-90% and when i leave i still have at least 60% usually 70% i still text often and all my email is forwarded to gmail so i get push notifications all day. 60% is enough for the rest of the day because, and lets ALL be honest here, whether its work, home or even out, there are computers everywhere and as large as a 4.3" display is for a phone, wouldnt you rather a bigger screen with better resolution and a larger keyboard to use? im not saying that i dont enjoy using my x or that having a droid isnt really convenient, im just saying if im standing ten feet from a computer i can use, unless its just to use the internet for less than a couple minutes, if im going to spend any real amount of time online, or gaming for that matter, i want to use the computer over a cell phone any day, 4g or not

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
tshow, are you an electrical engineer or what because you seem to know your batteries? :p

So basically, you're saying that if we want the battery to last longer, charge it less, but when we do charge it, charge it all the way to 100% (this is of course just the bare bones of what you said)?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I never said charging when you need to isn't bad. I'm saying charging it all day every day will kill the battery. You're the one saying to carry a billion chargers and to always keep it charged.

Actually it wont, but draining the battery all the way will. That's not really the point, having a car charger, multi-media dock, and a charger at work is not even close to a "billion". As other people have said an extra battery and charger are fairly cheap and I guarantee with one you've 20 hours of very hard use covered (I get over 24 hours with my setup.) I keep mine (the extra battery and charger) at work so when I'm down to 20-30% at end of the day, I pop in a fully charged on and off I go. Isn't that the point of having replaceable battery?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually it wont, but draining the battery all the way will. That's not really the point, having a car charger, multi-media dock, and a charger at work is not even close to a "billion". As other people have said an extra battery and charger are fairly cheap and I guarantee with one you've 20 hours of very hard use covered (I get over 24 hours with my setup.) I keep mine (the extra battery and charger) at work so when I'm down to 20-30% at end of the day, I pop in a fully charged on and off I go. Isn't that the point of having replaceable battery?

Well I never said anything about draining the battery. I'm just not into bring a charger everywhere. Sure, at work, in your car, and at work is understandable. I just don't think you need one for every room, closet, bathroom, attic, garage etc. I have no problem with an extra battery or extended battery either. I know if I get the Bionic, I'll probably get the extended battery.

tshow84

Reaction score
tshow, are you an electrical engineer or what because you seem to know your batteries? :p

So basically, you're saying that if we want the battery to last longer, charge it less, but when we do charge it, charge it all the way to 100% (this is of course just the bare bones of what you said)?

i am an electrical engineer :p

essentially, yes.

malicious_a

Reaction score
Apparently you read my post and heard it read as something else in your head. Who's carrying 46 chargers? I think i would have about 6 total to be covered and i work in IT.

And no you're wrong, it's not a MOBILE phone, it's a smart phone, much closer to a computer, so you need to charge it more. Maybe i'm just tired of these idiots (not the OP) that want to stream netflix, then turn of the navigation and play games THEN complain their new Droid only got 2 hours of battery life, thereby spreading false rumors that X device has poor battery life. You're going from a feature phone to a smart phone computer, you need you change your lifestyle and buy a couple more chargers.

True: You should always have a charger in the places that you frequent the most, eg home, office, car.
False: You should always charge it when not in use.

The owners manuals even advise against this. Verizon reps advise against this. You seem to be the only person I've ever heard say that it should only be on a charger when not in use. This truly defeats the purpose of spending so much money on a mobile device, or a smart phone, as you call it. case in point, an iPad (no flaming please) is even closer to a "computer" than a smart phone. I believe many people will disagree with having to charge it when it's not in use.