best rom?

blackhawkn7

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the axiom crossbread, but any opinions and descriptions will help me tremendously. Im rooted and all and understand all the jargon to put the rom on the device so no need for any explanations there. Also any kernels would be of help too, I have franco's kernel and I'm pretty happy with it but looking for something energy efficient. Cheers!:icon_ banana:

Durandgir

Reaction score
Really the best rom is opinion, I tend to perfer CM based things and a few AOKP ones. I have not had luck with AOKP or Sourcery, I know many swear by Sourcery, though Steel Droid and Liquid are very good in my opinion, flash some roms and kernals and see what you like and more importantly what your phone likes. What works really great on my phone, could run like crap on your phone.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Without hijacking the thread... in an effort to make it better, what wasn't working for you on ICSourcery ?

And for the OP - You can tell which is my favorite Rom and in the ROM we have over a dozen Kernel Options to choose from...

Last edited:

rjcapp

Reaction score
+1 on ICSourcery ! Combo'd with Lean kernel. Loaded with options. No problems.

Liquid is also a top choice. Zero problems. clean ROM

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I know this isn't what you want to hear but as mentioned above, the best ROM is totally opinionated. Which one suits your needs/wants the best. Some folks like CM9, some like AOKP, some like Sourcery, some like Gummy, some like Liquid, some like Steel Droid, some like SlimICS, some like Kangorade, some like ParanoidAndroid (tablet/phone hybrid), some like MIUI, some like stock or as close to stock as possible (like something like Rascream)....etc (no offense to the many I left out). This is the beauty of Android, choices. As long as you have the time, flash as many as you are interested in and figure out which ones suit your needs the best. If you aren't thrilled with the one you flashed, or find it lacking something you want that another may have....switch it up. When I had more free time, I was flashing a new ROM every couple days, I am down to one every week or sometimes longer.

About kernels, this is a little less opinionated. First some kernels don't work as well as others on certain devices. Meaning my phone may absolutely love one kernel and not so much another, while you may have the opposite luck. Second some ROMs don't play as nice with certain kernels for various reasons. This usually isn't a problem, but there have been some ROMs where features are gimped in the kernel or the ROM due to the kernel and ROM not playing nice. Faux, Fraco, Glados, Trinity, Lean Kernel, and PBJ are probably the most popular kernels out there. Some have features others may lack, so pay attention to that if you want something special. But generally, it is an experimentation game to see which ones work the best for you. Each kernel dev is quite active in making updates and responding to questions/concerns about said kernel. Speaking of kernel updates, sometimes an old version of a kernel may not work well for you, but a newer version may work wonderfully for you. So it is a constant cycle of experimentation on the kernel end.

GoBears

Reaction score
I've been recently using protostome with lean kernel and I'm thrilled with the performance and battery life. Make sure you try it!

Durandgir

Reaction score
Chizzele said:
Without hijacking the thread... in an effort to make it better, what wasn't working for you on ICSourcery ?

And for the OP - You can tell which is my favorite Rom and in the ROM we have over a dozen Kernel Options to choose from...

My main issues were on 2.4 or was it 2.0 forgive me I can't remember what was before 3.0 but they were solved instead I had a lot of lag with the stock kernal and lean and Franco kernals. It probably boila down to I haven't found the right kernal combo because I haven't had that time.

OP
B

blackhawkn7

Reaction score
that is a very good poimt. ill be sure to try some especially the suggestions here in my free time. Hopefully soon we will get some jellybean roms from the devs!!!! :biggrin:
I know this isn't what you want to hear but as mentioned above, the best ROM is totally opinionated. Which one suits your needs/wants the best. Some folks like CM9, some like AOKP, some like Sourcery, some like Gummy, some like Liquid, some like Steel Droid, some like SlimICS, some like Kangorade, some like ParanoidAndroid (tablet/phone hybrid), some like MIUI, some like stock or as close to stock as possible (like something like Rascream)....etc (no offense to the many I left out). This is the beauty of Android, choices. As long as you have the time, flash as many as you are interested in and figure out which ones suit your needs the best. If you aren't thrilled with the one you flashed, or find it lacking something you want that another may have....switch it up. When I had more free time, I was flashing a new ROM every couple days, I am down to one every week or sometimes longer.

About kernels, this is a little less opinionated. First some kernels don't work as well as others on certain devices. Meaning my phone may absolutely love one kernel and not so much another, while you may have the opposite luck. Second some ROMs don't play as nice with certain kernels for various reasons. This usually isn't a problem, but there have been some ROMs where features are gimped in the kernel or the ROM due to the kernel and ROM not playing nice. Faux, Fraco, Glados, Trinity, Lean Kernel, and PBJ are probably the most popular kernels out there. Some have features others may lack, so pay attention to that if you want something special. But generally, it is an experimentation game to see which ones work the best for you. Each kernel dev is quite active in making updates and responding to questions/concerns about said kernel. Speaking of kernel updates, sometimes an old version of a kernel may not work well for you, but a newer version may work wonderfully for you. So it is a constant cycle of experimentation on the kernel end.

OP
B

blackhawkn7

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone else who posted on this thread!dancedroid

nleksan

Reaction score
Personally I like Gummy a ton. I am running Gummy 1.2.5 (which comes with LeanKernel 3.8 and is Android 4.0.4) and use the purchased versions of ROM Toolbox Pro, Titanium Backup Pro, and Apex Launcher Pro; it is the perfect combination for me!

Nealius

Reaction score
ICSOrcery is badass. it takes a little while to get used to all the settings. After you figure them out, the rom is flawless with a gazillion options for change!
I just uninstalled it to check out Viscous JB 4.1. I already miss Sorcery. I will stay on Jelly Bean as long as possible then go back.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well since there seems to be one of these every week, I'll just update you with the newest one. JD has released a JellyBean ROM and it is stable. However if you use a custom launcher it may not work, I found that Apex launcher doesn't work on JB

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well since there seems to be one of these every week, I'll just update you with the newest one. JD has released a JellyBean ROM and it is stable. However if you use a custom launcher it may not work, I found that Apex launcher doesn't work on JB

nova works, also droid vicious and liquid have a version out together too