BatteryDoctor's advice on trickle charging

NavadeHi

Reaction score
Is FoxKat still around on this forum? The app BatteryDoctor says trickle charging over 9 hours is bad for the smartphone's battery. Is this true?

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
It is almost impossible to trickle charge a modern cell phone battery. The battery itself has a micro chip installed that regulates the charging cycles, in some applications the charge cycle is regulated externally by the phone. Keep in mind the internal chip in the battery will still override all other input. Once the battery reaches max voltage charging will cease. Yes it is bad, but it can't happen.

Foxkat was on here earlier, surprised he missed this opportunity to chime in.

Battery university is the go to site for all pertinent battery info, or just ask Foxkat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Is FoxKat still around on this forum? The app BatteryDoctor says trickle charging over 9 hours is bad for the smartphone's battery. Is this true?

trickle charging is bad for the battery, that's why LI chargers do not do it. not sure what the point of Battery Doctor saying that is.
the problem isn't trickle charging to get the battery full (that's probably good for the battery). the problem is, trickle charging while its full and/or almost full, extending the time the battery stays at or near 100%, which is bad for the battery.

OP
N

NavadeHi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reasurrance. I was afraid I had damaged my phone's battery already by leaving it on the charger for too long. (For like a day)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reasurrance. I was afraid I had damaged my phone's battery already by leaving it on the charger for too long. (For like a day)

Most phones have a built in variance for parasitic voltage drops and will not start an active charge until things drop to a certain point. My Inc 1 for example would not trigger a trickle charge until it dropped to 90%. That also explains why sometimes the percentage reads 100% when plugged in and immediately drops once unplugged. The 100% was not accurate anymore due to parasitic discharge but not low enough to start a charge cycle.
Probably the best things you can do for battery health is don't plug in your phone to charge when your battery percentage is above 80-85% and don't let it get below 10% anymore than you have to. Other than that you're good to go.

Support Our Troops!!!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, leaving it plugged in will not hurt it, it stops charging when the battery is full.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Most phones have a built in variance for parasitic voltage drops and will not start an active charge until things drop to a certain point. My Inc 1 for example would not trigger a trickle charge until it dropped to 90%.
Probably the best things you can do for battery health is don't plug in your phone to charge when your battery percentage is above 80-85% and don't let it get below 10% anymore than you have to. Other than that you're good to go.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

The Motorola droid MAXX pops up a hint, that to prolong battery health "top off the tank" frequently. Ugh, cringe.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Motorola droid MAXX pops up a hint, that to prolong battery health "top off the tank" frequently. Ugh, cringe.

Probably something Verizonized onto the phone with their bloatware. :)

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah,it's part of the tips and trick package, don't ask why I don't disable these things.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

if you only do this occasionally (when you forget) its ok and no noticeable damage has been done, however leaving the charger plugged in for extended periods, repeatedly, when charged is not good for the battery (especially if you are using the phone).
quote from battery university "In fact, it is better not to fully charge, because high voltages stresses the battery." therefore, leaving it on the charger will result in a "topping charge" (not a trickle charge) as needed bringing the battery back to 100% over and over, thus repeating the high stress situation unnecessarily.