Battery will NOT calibrate...don't know what to do :(

crashvector

Reaction score
I have followed the battery calibration process 5 or 6 times now, and my battery will NOT calibrate.

I get the low battery warning, turn off and plug in my phone...it boots to charge only mode, and the battery meter THERE will show 70-80%.

I've done everything I could find on this site...letting it charge overnight...etc.

Now, I've resorted to simply continuing to use the phone anyway...until it shuts off on its own. Then, I plug it in, and it will show 60% battery charge, so I simply restart the phone...and it will show 40% on the meter for a while..then give the low battery warning again...rinse and repeat.

I am currently experimenting with running the battery down until the charge-only meter says it's 10%, THEN charging it to full (which I've already done 3X btw).

I did a FDR, cache format, updated to .215 kernel, everything. Nothing works. The phone STILL thinks the battery has less juice than it actually does apparently.

I just don't get why that when it boots to charge-only mode, the battery meter is accurate, but the ICS battery meter is giving me so much trouble.

Anyone have any suggestions at this point?

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
Just got the warning, turned off, plugged in phone, said 60% remaining...rebooted phone, meter said 60%. I updated two apps, and it is giving me the warning again already...in less than 5 minutes from when it said I had 60% remaining....so confused...

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
Follow-up 2: Phone shut off due to "low battery" plugged in the phone, and the "charge only" battery meter said 40%. Powered on the phone still plugged into charger.

Once ICS booted up, it displayed "charging 40%". As soon as I unplugged the charger, it gave a low battery warning and shut down the phone, stating the batter had 0% charge. Plugged in phone, charge only meter showed 40%.

This is really baffling me. If anyone has any advice, I'd be eternally grateful.

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

/oh wait. Nevermind.

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
Droid RAZR.

I let it charge overnight to 100% while turned off. I restart the phone, and within 30 minutes, it says that I have less than 50% battery life remaining. If I turn it off and plug it back in, it will say 100% charged.

Basically, I cannot use my phone for more than 30 minutes unless its plugged into a charger...which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having it.

Ive also followed Kat's battery calibration method at LEAST a dozen times so far...charge to 100%, let it run down until it tells me to plug in the charger, then turning off the phone and letting it sit on the charger for 3 hours.

the problem is...that when I get the "battery charge: 15%, please connect your charger" warning, and when I plug it in, the charge-only battery meter tells me I have 80-90% battery remaining...so I'm not sure.

I suspect the "flag" for low battery on my phone is seriously out of calibration, but so far, nothing has worked to correct it.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
At this point, and after reading your post. I would call Verizon and go from there. If they try to tell you to do a fdr tell them you did. Sounds like a hardware issue and they'll send you a replacement.

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
Thank you. FINALLY someone responded lol. I will call them and see what they say.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. Im sorry for the lack of help on your question. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sorry that nobody has helped you here..:eek:

I don't know why your posts haven't been showing up... I know I haven't seen them, I know FoxKat hasn't seen them either, or one of us would've jumped in here.

I'd have to agree with DevilDog here.. if you've tried all this and you're still having issues... i'd say you probably have a hardware issue. Call vzw and get another razr on the way.

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
Thanks. I called them, and yep..they tried to talk me through all kinds of resets and settings, etc. I told them I wasn't doing another FDR, as it takes me 2 hours to resetup my phone, and that I had already done it twice.

Eventually, had to hang up because I have classes to attend, but I will call them back when I'm done with class for the day and see what happens.

Why do they always assume that you have no idea what you're talking about? If I say I've done the factory reset, I mean I've already done a factory reset. Doing it again wont fix anything, especially after I've already done it TWO times.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
They really just read off a paper of things to do. And they hardly ever work. Trust me dont give up till you get a replacement. You have done everything you can do to that phone except get it replaced lol

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
I'll let you know how it goes. Here is a SS. Notice the meter says 10%...but the charge only meter said 80%.

Screenshot_2012-09-24-12-10-10.png

The only reason it lasted 2 hours is because I did the whole turn off phone, connect charger, let the charge-only meter say 80%, then restart phone while connected to ccharger, then use phone. This method allows me to get a bit more use out of the phone because it tells the phone there's more juice there somehow, but it NEVER lasts long.

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand! Sorry to hear this man. But this is not your fault so as long as you have a warranty you will get a replacement no doubt. Dont take anything less!

OP
C

crashvector

Reaction score
2nd tech support guy seemed to know what was going on. I explained everything, told him what I had done, and told him I think the software for the battery itself was shot.

He agreed, saying that there have been a number of issues with the "battery software" mis-reporting the actual state of charge of the battery.

They are sending me another phone by overnight shipping. Hopefully, the new phone won't have this issue...but I am dubious.

P.S. I told him about the "battery recallibration" that I had tried, and he said "More than a few people have told me about this, but it won't fix the issue if the battery's software is the problem. It only works if the problem is with the phone's operating system."