Battery life after root

mjoshea148

Reaction score
Hi,

I finally got the courage to root my trusty Droid 1. Followed the RSDLite/flash SBF recovery - all fine.

Backed up stock, rooted image, installed Rom Manager, Flashed Clockwork and then began trying new ROMs.

First BBV0.5 - followed the whole double boot process - ok. Battery life died off quicker than prior to root. Reflashed clean image - same result. Did notice the Cell Standby 50% no signal.

Today tried Charity ROM - clean wipe (cache/data) and noticed battery dropping off as quickly.

In both instances the battery charged remarkably fast to 100%.

So finally decided to restore stock, rooted image and battery immediately showed much lower than where I started the process and is charging much more slowly. We'll see tomorrow what happens.

Really like both rooted ROMs but obviously need a Droid that can last a while. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Right after you flash a rom you could try using cm recovery to reset battery stats and see if that helps.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
mjoshea148

mjoshea148

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for reply.

I forgot to note that after I ran into the problems I went to Clockwork and reset Dalvik and battery caches too (prior to installing both new ROMS).

OP
mjoshea148

mjoshea148

Reaction score
No. However, unless I'm mistaken the BBV0.5 uses a different kernel than stock and the Charity ROM just switched to low voltage Chevy 1.1 kernel. So in that sense, I guess you could say yes.

From what little I've been able to observe since flashing back to stock, rooted, it's almost like the battery indicator was reading full but actually more like half-empty. In stock, rooted it's been a while on USB charging but the charge rate is at least consistent with what I've seen over time.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Flash whatever ROM you want, let the battery run completely out, then let it charge back up on the wall charger for an hour or two (or overnight) without touching it. That will recalibrate the battery charge states.

OP
mjoshea148

mjoshea148

Reaction score
So - I reflashed Charity ROM and have brought image up to date/backed up/tested etc.

Now letting the battery run out w/light usage here/there. Last plugged about 5:30 last night and as of 9:45 today I'm at 40% ~16hrs?!?!

Not sure what I did/didn't do but will follow prior recommendations and hopefully put this to rest.

Thanks for the assistance!
Mike