battery issue possibly with 247

jjgoose

Reaction score
OK, so Ive gone about a year with a cheap ebay 4000 mAh battery that pretty much got me through 2 days no matter what I did on the phone. about a month ago, I got a moto extended battery since the cheap one was beginning to show its age. I could go about a day with the extended moto battery (This is all on 905). Upgraded to 247 last week (Wed. I think) and now battery is horrible. Im dredding a FDR as Im not sure I know all my user names and passwords for some of my apps (skype, voxxer, etc....). Has anyone see such horrible battery life. This is what I got today and I wasnt even using the phone. Does this seem normal and how can I figure out what exactly what "Android OS" is doing? The phohe actually shut down at about 7 hours and I really hardly used it this morning. couple txts and a couple calls for just a few minutes.

Screenshot_2012-10-07-15-46-57.png

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Try battery monitor widget on google play. I use it, and you can kindof see what apps are causing you problems if it is an app. My phone, runs about 20-50mA idle. Thats about what it should run if nothings hogging your battery. You can set a widget on your homsecreen that will tell your mA battery usage. Also get watchdog lite, it will watch your apps running and give you warnings if any are hogging ram or cpu. It might not be an app, in which case you will probably have to FDR, but these will pick up if its an app problem.

Maddog241

Reaction score
OK, so Ive gone about a year with a cheap ebay 4000 mAh battery that pretty much got me through 2 days no matter what I did on the phone. about a month ago, I got a moto extended battery since the cheap one was beginning to show its age. I could go about a day with the extended moto battery (This is all on 905). Upgraded to 247 last week (Wed. I think) and now battery is horrible. Im dredding a FDR as Im not sure I know all my user names and passwords for some of my apps (skype, voxxer, etc....). Has anyone see such horrible battery life. This is what I got today and I wasnt even using the phone. Does this seem normal and how can I figure out what exactly what "Android OS" is doing? The phohe actually shut down at about 7 hours and I really hardly used it this morning. couple txts and a couple calls for just a few minutes.

View attachment 56930

Something I found when I first went to ICS was I had uninstall and reinstall some of my apps. Some of them just didn't work properly until I did that, so it is possible and I would say likely that your battery issue is app related. An FDR is the only way to get a true clean install. You could troubleshoot one app at a time depending on how many you have.

OP
J

jjgoose

Reaction score
Try battery monitor widget on google play. I use it, and you can kindof see what apps are causing you problems if it is an app. My phone, runs about 20-50mA idle. Thats about what it should run if nothings hogging your battery. You can set a widget on your homsecreen that will tell your mA battery usage. Also get watchdog lite, it will watch your apps running and give you warnings if any are hogging ram or cpu. It might not be an app, in which case you will probably have to FDR, but these will pick up if its an app problem.

I installed both of those and put the widget on my home screen. Every time I look at it, It seems Im drawing between 300 and 550 mA if I unlock the phone and take a look. Thats not very good.....

OP
J

jjgoose

Reaction score
Something I found when I first went to ICS was I had uninstall and reinstall some of my apps. Some of them just didn't work properly until I did that, so it is possible and I would say likely that your battery issue is app related. An FDR is the only way to get a true clean install. You could troubleshoot one app at a time depending on how many you have.

I havent run across any of my apps yet that dont seem to be working in ICS? I havent installed any new ones in quite some time (except the 2 mentioned above). I did replace my sd card the day after I updated with a 32 GB class 4 card from Walmart. I was on the road and that was the best I could find in the area. wonder if that might have something to do with it.

Maddog241

Reaction score
I installed both of those and put the widget on my home screen. Every time I look at it, It seems Im drawing between 300 and 550 mA if I unlock the phone and take a look. Thats not very good.....

Did you do the cache partition wipe?

Maddog241

Reaction score
I think so. I followed the instructions in the Hob and remember something like that.

Then my money is on an app not playing nice. GB to ICS was a big change and I had some app issues even after following everything.

OP
J

jjgoose

Reaction score
Then my money is on an app not playing nice. GB to ICS was a big change and I had some app issues even after following everything.

I guess that means Ill keep an eye on watchdog lite for a while and see if it picks up on any apps that are chewing up cpu or ram. Im just wondering how that is much different that the battery stats of the phone. Seems to me that it has to be something with "android os" and not an app?

Maddog241

Reaction score
I guess that means Ill keep an eye on watchdog lite for a while and see if it picks up on any apps that are chewing up cpu or ram. Im just wondering how that is much different that the battery stats of the phone. Seems to me that it has to be something with "android os" and not an app?

Try turning off your GPS... all 3 of them and see if that makes a difference. It is possible that an app is calling on the GPS and not releasing it.

OP
J

jjgoose

Reaction score
Try turning off your GPS... all 3 of them and see if that makes a difference. It is possible that an app is calling on the GPS and not releasing it.

When you say all three of them?..... I have been using gps a lot as I was on the road traveling last week. One thing I noticed that never used to happen was that my battery was actually draining when using the gps navigator on my way back home. that never used to happen to me before, but I remember reading that others were experiencing it. I have the power widget on my home screen and always turn off the gps when Im not using the navigator. Im not sure what you mean by all three?

Maddog241

Reaction score
When you say all three of them?..... I have been using gps a lot as I was on the road traveling last week. One thing I noticed that never used to happen was that my battery was actually draining when using the gps navigator on my way back home. that never used to happen to me before, but I remember reading that others were experiencing it. I have the power widget on my home screen and always turn off the gps when Im not using the navigator. Im not sure what you mean by all three?

There is standalone GPS, Verizon location services (a-gps) and google location services. Just as a way to troubleshoot, you could turn all of them off to see if something is causing a gps problem.

OP
J

jjgoose

Reaction score
There is standalone GPS, Verizon location services (a-gps) and google location services. Just as a way to troubleshoot, you could turn all of them off to see if something is causing a gps problem.

OK, I see. I just checked and I had "google location services" and "location & google search" checked. I turned them off and Ill see what happens for a while. thank you for all the suggestions. I appreciate it. I will eventually get to the bottom of this even if Im forced to do a FDR. I just really dont want to have to do that...

Maddog241

Reaction score
OK, I see. I just checked and I had "google location services" and "location & google search" checked. I turned them off and Ill see what happens for a while. thank you for all the suggestions. I appreciate it. I will eventually get to the bottom of this even if Im forced to do a FDR. I just really dont want to have to do that...

Eliminating the GPS as being part of the problem is only one step in the troubleshooting process. If you see a difference with the GPS disabled, there is probably an app that is using it and not allowing it to rest.

The Android OS is usually a large part of what is using battery and I believe that is all the background processes that are running. Keep in mind that all of the percentages shown under Battery are percentages of the total amount of battery that has been used not direct percentages of the battery itself.

As much of a pain as the FDR is, it might ultimately be the road you need to go down in order to truly fix this. Nothing beats the performance of a clean install. Also, battery life seems to improve after a couple of days as if the ICS OS needs to settle in. A couple of reboots and you could try wiping the cache partition in recovery again. That doesn't hurt anything.

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Sometimes the battery monitor widget can take a little bit to give you an accurate reading. If you are running an app and then shut it off, it takes 10-15 minutes to idle down to its idle mA usage. I find I get most accurate readings if I set my phone down for a couple hours and then check history in battery monitor widget app, it usually evens out at like -23mA. That is it's idle draw with the screen off. I have all my GPS enabled, email sync set to 15 minutes, and still manage to run really light battery usage.