Battery display going crazy

sfam198

Reaction score
Hi, first post here. Just got my Droid over the weekend and so far I'm loving it. If it weren't for this one annoying issue, it would be a perfect device.

I'm having the erratic battery remaining bug that several people have talked about on here. The phone will show 100% battery life, then suddenly will drop to 5% and display the flashing red light and the "connect charger" message. What is strange is that most people report this happening once every month or two. It has happened to me 10-12 times each day for each of the three days I've had the phone.

It is ALWAYS right after I do something (anything, browse the web, write a text message, anything) and then put it down about 2 minutes later, the flashing red light comes on. If I don't do anything, it will flash all day long. If I pick it up and turn the screen on, it will slowly climb back up to 100% after about 5 minutes.

Actual battery life does not seem to be affected. I've been using the phone all day (8am-10pm) and it's still going strong. It just seems to be the display, along with that annoying warning.

This morning, after being on the charger all night (8+ hours) the battery life only read 60%. I pulled the battery and restarted and it was 100% instantly after a reboot.

I'm thinking that I either have a defective phone or battery, although it's more than likely a software issue, since so many people are reporting the exact same bug. I would take the phone back to Verizon, but I'm worried about it happening on a replacement phone as well.

Has there been ANY fix for this? All the posts I've read are several people complaining of the issue, but as of yet I can't find a single fix.

OP
S

sfam198

Reaction score
Went to Verizon this morning. They replaced the battery under warranty and said to come back if I still have an issue. He said it was a 50/50 chance of either the chip in the battery or the phone not communicating properly with the battery. Obviously the battery is the easiest and cheapest thing to replace.

I'll update in the next couple days after some usage.

OP
S

sfam198

Reaction score
Went to work today with a fully charged phone and the brand new battery and I still had this issue 5 or 6 times. It actually did it twice while it was plugged into the charger. Went back to Verizon after work and they replaced the phone with a brand new one (not Refurb.)

so far so good. i will report back with updates.