Battery and Naivagation, Is this Normal?

rjax

Reaction score
Assuming that are some long stretches where you don't need the visual Navigation guide, and if you haven't already tried this, see what happens if you keep the screen off until the voice announces that you've got a turn up ahead you want the screen on for (I'd recommend one of the many apps that disables the lock screen so a quick tap on the power button brings the screen right up).

In my experience, keeping the screen off allows the car charger to keep up with the GPS battery drain, or even slowly charge the battery.

Haven't tested your approach but I'm betting you're right. ScreenModeWidget or myLock can be used to skip the lock screen, by the way.

It works for me, when I need it to, but sometimes I don't even need to. It really does seem to be a case-by-case basis thing, owing to all the factors you noted above.

Another possibility might be to buy an inverter to convert the car's DC current to AC current, and plug in your normal wall charger into the inverter. I don't know enough about the technicalities of this stuff -- I just know the wall charger delivers a much faster charge and maybe you'd also be able to deliver a bunch more charge with an inverter?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nav draws juice, but I thought it came directly from the outside power source if you're plugged into an alt power source (other than batt).

Someone will probably come along soon that will have an answer, but I would be considering a VZW store swap. I don't think it should drain at all if you're plugged inot the car cradle.

Your assumption is reasonable but I don't think it's the case. From a design standpoint I'm guessing it's easier to have an app always draw from the same source (i.e. the battery) rather than draw from the outside power source when it's available.

If it's going to draw from the battery even when it's plugged into a charging device, then what's the point of having GPS Navigation, if the phone can't keep up with the charging while GPS is being used?

Also, regarding the synch issue you mention previously, how would that explain having a fully charged Droid left in my armrest only use 10% of batter power while being left in the car for at least 8.5 hrs. I can't take my phone into work and leave it in my car. Its fully charged when I place it in the armrest. When I return to the at the end of the day, usually 8.5 hrs later, the phone has 90% battery left. I do not turn off any synching, its still synching my Gmail and my location for my widget. If the synching was part of the equation, shouldn't I expect to see more than a 10% loss when the only thing running is the synching?

Well, we're way off a "data driven" track here and into speculation. But I'll play along. :)

What's the point of navigation if recharging can't keep up? See my original comments about the variables involved in recharging. I've noted, for example, that the same charge cable works much better (i.e. faster) in my Mazda RX-8 than in my Saab. I haven't run a test using a meter but I conclude from that experience that my Mazda is putting out more juice than my Saab.

As far as the impact of synching is concerned, I simply suggested turning it off to see if the behavior changes. As noted above, I've found that synching is a potentially huge battery drain depending on how long it takes to synch various apps. The 2.1 Weather/News widget, for example, can have a major impact on battery life. I'm not suggesting that's the case for you. I'm simply noting that many users are unaware of how much synchronization is taking place on their phones.

iPirate

Reaction score
I have an inverter I got for around $30, this allows me to have a "wallsocket" in my car and every charger for the next several years will work in my car!

When I use the wall charger with navigation I can easily charge my battery and navigate and stream music.

If you are having problems with the car charger I suggest getting a setup like mine.

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I have an inverter I got for around $30, this allows me to have a "wallsocket" in my car and every charger for the next several years will work in my car!

When I use the wall charger with navigation I can easily charge my battery and navigate and stream music.

If you are having problems with the car charger I suggest getting a setup like mine.

Which inverter do you use? The cigarette lighter in my Jeep is right behind the Gear Selector so I can't use an inverter that sticks too far out.

I've done some searching on the internet and have seen several people here and on other forums mention using an inverter to help the Droid keep up with the charge, especially when using GPS.

Now I just need to find out which one may work best.

snappingfish

Reaction score
Which inverter?

I'm with him! I would like to investigate further. What is the Brand Name of your inverter?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it's going to draw from the battery even when it's plugged into a charging device, then what's the point of having GPS Navigation, if the phone can't keep up with the charging while GPS is being used?
Whether it draws power from the battery or the charger, the amount of power coming in has to at least equal the amount of power being consumed. It's not a matter of "point" but a matter of power "debit" (for lack of a better word).

If the battery is discharging while plugged in then either the Droid is consuming far more than it should (possibly due to some issue or some app with excessive consumption) or, more likely, the charger isn't supplying enough. It's impossible to say what the cause is for anyone in this thread who is experiencing this issue since they really haven't provided enough details to clearly indicate the causes in their particular cases.

If you're not supplying enough power then check the mA rating on the charger. If your particular issue with supplying power is due to some power issues with your car's electrical system then an inverter won't help. An inverter also won't help if you end up using a wall charger that tops out at, say, for example, 500mA.

I'm just saying, think the issue through rather than assuming that one's person's fix applies to all situations when that may not be the case. You need to first pinpoint what your problem and then deal with it directly.

FWIW, I'm using the Motorola P513/89143N. I've had some difficulty finding its specs online and don't have it with me. It seems like it should supply up to 950mA if my Google searches are correct. I'll take a look at the charger itself to see what it might have marked on it. YMMV but I've never had problems with active GPs usage discharging the battery while using this charger in either of my cars.

Last edited:
OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
Whether it draws power from the battery or the charger, the amount of power coming in has to at least equal the amount of power being consumer. It's not a matter of "point" but a matter of power "debit" (for lack of a better word).

What I meant by point, was if the GPS Navigation uses more power than can be supplied by having the phone plugged into the charger, what is the point of having the GPS Navigation in the first place?

By marketing turn by turn navigation and the sale of a Car Dock that brings up the Car Home automatically, they are essentially telling consumers that the Droid is a replacement for stand alone GPS Navigation units. But this is not the case.

I've read several other forums where users were stating their Droid used its entire battery after 4 hours of Navigation use.

I like the Droid a lot. I was holding out for the possibility of a Verizon iPhone, but after several friends bought the Droid, I ended up getting one. The Droid is amazing, but the fact that using GPS uses the battery faster than the battery can be charged while plugged into a car charger is a serious design flaw in my opinion.

I'd like to know if other people have had success with using the Navigation on their Droid with a power inverted as opposed to using the car charger. If so, what brand/model of inverter have you had success with?

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I'm using the charger that came with the Motorola car dock. I've also experienced the problem in my Jeep Liberty and in a Toyota Corola. Based on what I've read on this and other forums, this issue seems pretty wide spread.

Many people have said they think its caused by having the droid docked in direct sunlight, but I don't think this is always the case. This past weekend it was cloudy on my trip. I have read other people have had the same problem at night.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I meant by point, was if the GPS Navigation uses more power than can be supplied by having the phone plugged into the charger, what is the point of having the GPS Navigation in the first place?
I know exactly what you said. I'm saying that the "point" (whatever anyone perceives it to be) is irrelevant.

Power consumption versus supply in your particular case is what is relevant.

I can definitely understand the frustration but given that there are several different possible causes it does no good to fuss over "the point" -- especially if you're relying on marketing materials as if they're some sort of insurance against issues with your device.

Motorola has no control over which chargers the consumer purchases and uses with the Droid. Motorola has no control over any potential electrical issues in your car. Motorola has no control over whether or not a consumer mounts the Droid in a location that causes it to overheat and have charging issues. Motorola has no control over what apps are running on your Droid that may be contributing to your particular power usage issues. Etc etc.

Granted, if you're experiencing discharging with the Motorola-supplied charger that came with the car dock and it's due to the charger then that is clearly Motorola's fault. Does your charger indicate the mA it can supply?

The Droid is amazing, but the fact that using GPS uses the battery faster than the battery can be charged while plugged into a car charger is a serious design flaw in my opinion.
...and that assumption is also flawed. In my experience, supplied with proper power, the Droid's battery will not discharge while the GPS receiver is being used.

It's not unique to the Droid. Spend some time on the iPhone forums. There are people that have had to deal with the same "serious design flaw" with the almighty iPhone as well. You can't use more power than is supplied and expect the battery to retain its charge level regardless of whatever smartphone you're talking about.

Last edited:
OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I also understand what you mean, but they are essentially marketing this phone as a replacement for a stand alone navigation system, when this is not the case.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're picking nits IMO and I'm just going to have to say good day as this discussion isn't going anywhere.

I have no problems with GPS on my Droid so saying "it's a serious design flaw" misrepresents the problems in this thread. I understand you're having problems and I've made suggestions on what to look at as potential causes yet you've provided no feedback on your particular situation.

I have confirmed that the Motorola car charger I'm using supplies 950mA. I thought it was the P513/89143N. It might very well be but it does not have these numbers anywhere on it. I do know that I was looking specifically for the 89143N when shopping.

Last edited:
OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
If I was the only one having this problem I would agree with you. I have tried the Motorola charger that came with the Car Dock in several vehicles with the same result. There are numerous users having the same problem, just conduct a google search.

The only app I have had running is Navigation. I do have gmail synch and a synch to update my location on my home screen. The Droid was fully charged when placed in the charger and into the dock. I can leave my Droid turned on in my arm rest all day while at work, at least 8.5 hours, and when I return I have 90% left. So there are no other apps or services which could have led to a 40% in less than 2 hours. It was not the sun, since it was cloudy. It was not hot outside.

What is the longest you have used GPS while plugged into your car charger? I assume since you said you have had no problems, your Droid maintained a full charge while plugged in and using GPS Navigation?

Last edited:

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
i have read somewhere here that the droid has a fail safe when it comes to charging so when it gets to a certain temp it stops charging till it cools down

in my experience charging heat up the phone a significant amount so that might have been the problem plus is the mount is attached to the window your getting a lot of the heat from window magnifying the sun (clouds magnify the suns rays) i say next time you go for a drive try placing your phone in front of the ac vent and see if that help

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
The Motorola car dock comes with an adhesive disk. Does anyone know if the adhesive on that disk is strong enough to hold the car dock on a vertical surface?

If it is, I should be able to mount the dock close enough to an ac vent to help cool the phone while plugged in. While on the windshield, I am unable to get the dock anywhere near a vent.

snappingfish

Reaction score
Have you looked?

If I was the only one having this problem I would agree with you. I have tried the Motorola charger that came with the Car Dock in several vehicles with the same result. There are numerous users having the same problem, just conduct a google search.

The only app I have had running is Navigation. I do have gmail synch and a synch to update my location on my home screen. The Droid was fully charged when placed in the charger and into the dock. I can leave my Droid turned on in my arm rest all day while at work, at least 8.5 hours, and when I return I have 90% left. So there are no other apps or services which could have led to a 40% in less than 2 hours. It was not the sun, since it was cloudy. It was not hot outside.

What is the longest you have used GPS while plugged into your car charger? I assume since you said you have had no problems, your Droid maintained a full charge while plugged in and using GPS Navigation?

Have you looked at the model # on your charger, or found the mAh rating for that charger? Maybe that charger is defective, or simply isn't rated for the load you're trying to access.