Barnacle Wifi-Tether vs Normal Wifi-Tether?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi is Wifi, meaning wireless NIC. BT is BT. There is no such thing as Wifi over BT.

spawn9859

Reaction score
I use Barnacle Tether, its very easy to use, I've impressed friends by connecting to their iPhones when they have no service at all. I tried WiFi Tether and just couldn't figure it out. Just wouldnt work right for me.

ScoobyDoo27

Reaction score
I've got Wifi Tether and Barnacle Tether and I can't get either of them to work. My computer finds them and it says it's connected but that there is no internet connection... Can anyone help me and tell me why it won't work?

techRob

Reaction score
I've got Wifi Tether and Barnacle Tether and I can't get either of them to work. My computer finds them and it says it's connected but that there is no internet connection... Can anyone help me and tell me why it won't work?
That happened to me at first with Barnacle. I can't recall exactly what I did, but I think i hit the "Associate" button on Barnacle, and maybe that did the trick. Or i simply disconnected from it on my computer, hit associate, brought the wireless list back up, doube clicked it and it worked. It was a bunch of back-n-forth (now and then). But once I got it connected, it was connected. My description sounds worse than it was (FYI).

NetNathan

Reaction score
I realize it is semantics....but...
It seems to make sense to me that "tether" means it has to be cable connected?

techRob

Reaction score
I realize it is semantics....but...
It seems to make sense to me that "tether" means it has to be cable connected?

Yea...I don't quite follow the terminology either. It's like "DROID Jargon" to me :p ...yes, i know it's an actual term...i'm just saing :)

lenval

Reaction score
I usb-tethered my wife's droid to my laptop using pda-net. I was so excited. I will try those wifi ones later, this sounds like more fun dancedroid.

gnmitchell

Reaction score
I have never had any problems using WiFi tether. Have used it many times at work to check computers remote connections, so haven't had any reason to try something else.

NetNathan

Reaction score
For you Verizon people...
How much data do you move Up/Down in a day using your tether??
How excessive do you think you will have to get to wake up Verizon?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Anything over 5gigs will probably alert them though there are people doing close to 100GB. I talked to 3 different Verizon reps on the phone - they all said WiFi is ok as long as you keep it under 5GB. Same for my dad who got a Droid recently (except it was a Verizon Wireless store manager that told him this).

I average about 100-200MB in a 3-4 hour tethering session. All depends on what I'm doing. Talking to GF on Windows Live Messenger takes 20MB in an hour or so, browsing websites takes a lot more. Downloading music = incredible amount.

NetNathan

Reaction score
Anything over 5gigs will probably alert them though there are people doing close to 100GB. I talked to 3 different Verizon reps on the phone - they all said WiFi is ok as long as you keep it under 5GB. Same for my dad who got a Droid recently (except it was a Verizon Wireless store manager that told him this).

I average about 100-200MB in a 3-4 hour tethering session. All depends on what I'm doing. Talking to GF on Windows Live Messenger takes 20MB in an hour or so, browsing websites takes a lot more. Downloading music = incredible amount.

Thanks for the answer. Good idea now, I am running your average also.
Are you refering to 5GB a day or a month?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why 5gb and not 6gb...or 4gb? There are other threads here that cover this topic but nobody has provided any link where someone used Xgb of data and was canceled or charged for excessive use. Doesn't mean they won't be, only means that nobody has yet. which brings me to my question of why is less than 5gb safe if nobody has been talked to yet or sent a warning notice?

And to get back on topic: WiFi Tethering for Root Users here. Used it a few times. One time it wouldn't turn off so I rebooted the phone. Never looked at alternatives because what I tried worked.