Backup?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
What backup program do you recommend?

I want to backup to my SD card or PC. Everything if possible, but at least my apps and data.

Does Android 2.2 include a backup/restore program? If so, I might just wait for 2.2.

Thanks.

necrosays

Reaction score
If you are rooted i would suggest titanium backup. It will backup all your apps+data.

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I am not rooted. Looking for a simple backup program that will work on a non-rooted phone.

Thanks.

necrosays

Reaction score
astro file manager has a built in app backup tool. MyBackup allows you to backup just about everything else (apps, sms/mms, etc)

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
astro file manager has a built in app backup tool. MyBackup allows you to backup just about everything else (apps, sms/mms, etc)

OK thanks. I tested Astro on one of my Memo apps, and it backed up a .apk file to the SD card which is good. However I then opened up my memo app, and added a huge memo, then ran the Astro backup utility again. The backed up .apk file size did not change making me wonder if Astro is maybe only backing up the application, and not the data (which is what I care about).

Have you ever tried to restore an app using Astro to verify that the data is backed up along with the app?

Thanks.

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Just found out that Astro file manager does NOT backup application data. Only the application itself and some system data is backed up which doesnt help much. I can easily reinstall the app if needed, what I am looking for is a program to backup my data in case the phone is lost or goes dead.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

wilyrockstar

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Sprite Backup program? I have used it for a windows mobile device and it was a complete restore of all information and settings.

Also, does FROYO 2.2 have a backup tool? I have a droid x and waiting for the upgrade.

necrosays

Reaction score
android 2.2 doesnt have a built in backup for app data. titanium backup can do that, but you need root. im not too sure of any other backup apps that will save your apps data.

have you considered rooting your phone? there are "1 touch root" apps available that automate the process.

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I just talked with mybackup. It also will only backup data on a rooted phone (for most apps).

I think that a lot of users are assuming that they are backing up their phones, when they may just be backing up their apps (without data).

Will 2.2 allow full system and data backups?

Thanks

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
android 2.2 doesnt have a built in backup for app data. titanium backup can do that, but you need root. im not too sure of any other backup apps that will save your apps data.

have you considered rooting your phone? there are "1 touch root" apps available that automate the process.

Ill either root my phone, or wait for 2.2 to see how well its backup program works. In the mean time, be careful storing any data on the phone that is not somehow synced to google. If you lose your phone you will lose your data. The backup programs that Ive looked at will only backup app data on rooted phones.

Reaction score
NO backup program will backup all data unless you root. There is no way around this. Rooting now days for most phones is a painless process that gives you more control over your phone. IT will void your warranty in most cases but unless you kill your phone completely you can usually unroot before you take it to Verizon for a warranty claim.

For me my data, mileage records and work orders, are more important then the phone.