Looking for a backup program that will backup data

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I still havent found a backup program that will backup my user data (tasks, work stuff, notes) stored in internal memory.

I know there are many backup programs available that will backup all user data on a rooted phone, but does one exist that will backup my phone if it is not rooted?

I cant store my work apps and data on the phone unless it can be backed up.

Thanks!

timrock

Reaction score
I still havent found a backup program that will backup my user data (tasks, work stuff, notes) stored in internal memory.

I know there are many backup programs available that will backup all user data on a rooted phone, but does one exist that will backup my phone if it is not rooted?

I cant store my work apps and data on the phone unless it can be backed up.

Thanks!
certain apps have a backup/restore function built in. i know most notes and task apps do. Not sure what you mean by "work apps".

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out MyBackUp Pro and Titanium premium.

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Lookout will backup SOME data such as contacts and photos but wont backup all user application data on the DX.

There must be a way to backup this phone without rooting, I cant believe that no users are backing up their Droid phones. With my previous BB, Win, and Palm phones it was just routine to backup to my pc on a daily basis.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My backup pro requires root?

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My backup pro requires root?

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away
Not for basic app backups, but for full data yes. MyBackUpPro really excels when you have root access.

Personally I prefer it over Titanium Backup.

OP
W

wmscottmc

Reaction score
So it sounds like I will have to root in order to get a complete backup, including all App data. I understand Android security, and why the phone does not come fully rooted, but this is the first smartphone Ive owned that I cannot backup.

Do most users realize this, or is backup just not a big issue for the Android phones, since a lot of the data is stored online/google?

I have a feeling that many DX owners (even some on this thread) are going to be in for a bad surprise if they ever need to restore all data on their phones.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dunno if it's a privacy issue, but without giving 'root' (superuser) access to an app there's only so much it can access... so you wouldn't be able to back up sensitive data.

MyBackUpPro will still do backups for much of your device, just app settings (not the apps itself) and some other device data needs root access to be backed up.

gsbjackson

Reaction score
I discovered this the first week I had the phone and decided rooting was the only reliable way to create a backup image. The fact that the carrier failed to provide adequate backup capability leaves me with no remorse for having to root the phone for my own protection.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Michlo

Reaction score
Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, CA
I've only just started looking into the backup options as I was initially exploring this for its sync capabilities but it looks like this amazing program will do that too.

FJ Software Development

The 'phone version is available on the market.

Features:
  • Adressbook - with direct sync to Outlook, GMail, Windows contacts, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Lotus Notes and Tobit David
  • Organizer with calendarview and direct sync to Outlook, Google, Sunbird, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Windows calendar(Vista), Rainlendar, Lotus Notes, Tobit David and net shared calendars (WebDAV, FTP, local)
  • SMS - archive, export, import, excessive messages,...
  • Filebrowser with cachesystem to minimize datatransfer, automatic photosync...
  • Set phoneclock based on atomtime
  • and much more. f.e.: calllists, edit profiles, control phone, memorystatus, phonemonitor,...
And from their forums:

Poll :: which function do you use most?
Sync organiser with...
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
22% [ 37 ] Sync contacts with...
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
15% [ 25 ] Use callmanager
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
1% [ 2 ] Reverse search for phonenumbers
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
0% [ 1 ] Send messages
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
37% [ 61 ] Use contactmanager
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
1% [ 3 ] Use filemanager
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
3% [ 6 ] Use monitor
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
2% [ 4 ] Imagewizard
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
0% [ 0 ] Backup your phone
vote_lcap.gif
voting_bar.gif
vote_rcap.gif
13% [ 22 ]

blakscribe

Reaction score
I'm so used to living in the cloud I can hardly think of any data on my phone that isn't already backed up somewhere.

For tasks I use both Gmail Tasks and Remember the Milk which syncs on my Droid X with Astrid.

For notes I use either Evernote or Simplenote synced with mNote on phone.

I use Google for contacts and calendar, Google Voice for calls and sms.

Most anything else I care I about I just put in Dropbox.

I'm trying to imagine what kind of app data would live on your phone only.