backup assistant no longer supported on a 1 year old phone???

Asbury Juke

Reaction score
Does anyone have an answer for this? I, like everyone else, hates the GB update. My latest two issues? The slide lock dissappeared in the middle of the day 2 weeks ago. So I took it to Verizon and the "tech" takes 45 minutes doing Google searches to find an answer. After all that time she tells me the GB update eliminated the slide lock. That would be fine except for the fact that my business partners who have the same phones bought at the exact same time still have theirs. Frustration.

But that's not the big problem. Last week my automatic backup assistant stopped working. It keeps asking me for the pin number. The backup assistant was set up by the salesperson at Verizon and he never gave us the pin numbers. Nothing worked (last 4 digits, 0000, 1234, etc). The in store "tech" was useless as usual. So I called Verizon and their phone tech couldn't figure it out either. Although they are continuing to look into this for me, one thing she said which bothered me immensely was that "It looks like backup assistant is no longer supported on your phone." The phone is almost 1 year old to the day. Are they kidding me?? I know tech items go out of date quickly, but this is ridiculous.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have a fix?

Thanks in advance for letting me rant on.....

badcat

Reaction score
I think the rep is wrong. According to the Verizon site the Pro is supported. You can do this as well which I'm quoting from the website "If you have a My Verizon account, sign in and go to the Backup Assistant Media Store* page to see if Backup Assistant is available for your device". You could also try "If you have an active Backup Assistant account, you can sign in and manage your contacts via the Backup Assistant website. To sign in, enter your My Verizon User ID and password. Note: You must sign in using your own mobile number (or the User ID associated with your mobile number) in order to view and manage your contacts online." Last but not least you could clear the data under Applications>Manage Applications>All>Backup Assistant and Backup Assistant Client. Don"t do this if you need to restore your contacts as it will probably make them go "poof"! I stopped using it myself because it's just a lot easier to sync them via Google. Good luck.

bigkhan

Reaction score
I agree I havent used backup assistant since I got my first smart phone. And using google is great, keeps everything in order.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jcardona1

Reaction score
+1 on Google syncing/backup. I don't even know why Verizon is still putting this on Android phones these days. Completely unneeded.

asdfghjkl_em

Reaction score
I think the default password for backup assistant is 1111, because i've never changed mine and that's what mine is.

idk though. verizon's got some probs.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
I've had Backup Asst for many years & it still continues to update regularly. No issues with mine.

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

OP
A

Asbury Juke

Reaction score
I think the rep is wrong. According to the Verizon site the Pro is supported. You can do this as well which I'm quoting from the website "If you have a My Verizon account, sign in and go to the Backup Assistant Media Store* page to see if Backup Assistant is available for your device". You could also try "If you have an active Backup Assistant account, you can sign in and manage your contacts via the Backup Assistant website. To sign in, enter your My Verizon User ID and password. Note: You must sign in using your own mobile number (or the User ID associated with your mobile number) in order to view and manage your contacts online." Last but not least you could clear the data under Applications>Manage Applications>All>Backup Assistant and Backup Assistant Client. Don"t do this if you need to restore your contacts as it will probably make them go "poof"! I stopped using it myself because it's just a lot easier to sync them via Google. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I had already tried all the things badcat recommended. The Verizon rep got me to clear the backup assistant (after copying contacts to SD card), but there was no way to uninstall it, which confused even her.

So here is the next question. How do I set up Google backup and does it automatically backup new contacts?

Thanks all!!!

badcat

Reaction score
What I did initially was exported my contacts from Outlook to a csv file then imported that into the Gmail account I was accessing from my phone. From there you set the phone to sync the contacts on that account. If you don't have anything in Outlook (or another program) try this link. It's for a different phone but the steps should be the same. Where are your contacts now?

How-to: Load Contacts from Verizon Backup Assistant to Motorola Droid

OP
A

Asbury Juke

Reaction score
So first let me thank you all for your suggestions. The problem has been resolved and let me share how. I called Verizon and got a tech on the phone who passed me to another tech who was higher up the chain somewhere. After spending more than an hour on the phone she apologized that she couldn't fix the problem and told me she would open a service ticket which would be answered in 72 hours. The steps she tried were to force stop then clear the cache for Backup Assistant and Backup Assistant Client. The I was supposed to uninstall them and reinstall, except that there was no way to uninstall as that button wasn't available.

I waited more than 1 week and called back, only to find out that although my session with that tech was in their system, she never opened a ticket. So I got a different tech who wanted to give it a shot before opening the ticket. She had me clear the cache for Sync Service, force stop and clear the cache for Backup Assistant and Backup Assistant Client. Then I ran Backup Assistant and it asked me for a new pin number and voila!! it worked. Problem solved with one extra step and it took all of 2 minutes.

Thanks again all.

Zecpull

Reaction score
I also have Backup assistant Shut off.. and would never use it over Google.. Google is much less intrusive. And has been Amazing switching phones seamlessly.