Back to Froyo, now what's the best process to move on?

kevinkar

Reaction score
Hi,

Got so tired of Gingerbread I bit the bullet and went back to Froyo and immediately installed Z4Root before doing anything else. Now that the phone is sitting there waiting for instructions, what really is the best process to follow to move on?

I assume since the SBF brought it back to out of the box but on Froyo condition, it needs to be activated. That's simple enough I'd think by simply entering in *228. Will it know it's my phone and my number etc. automatically? I'm assuming it's MEID based and will know it's my phone and just get what it needs from Verizon.

But is that really the first thing to do?

Should I install Titanium Backup first and immediately freeze the Blur Updater so I don't get any Gingerbread crumbs all over my phone again?

Should I restore anything before activation? Should I run the Backup Assistant first or wait? Should I restore backups from Titanium Backup or download apps "fresh" from the Market and Amazon?

Right now, it's sitting there in Airport Mode and plugged into the charger waiting for the next best move. I don't intend to use custom ROMS or any changes in themes. I just wanted it to return to stock Froyo the way I had it before Gingerbread and leave it there because it worked just fine the way it was. I just want to know if anyone has a good set of rules of thumb to go from here.

As usual, if these are lame questions, sorry. Just looking for some good direction.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Kevin

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Just root using z4root. Just do what you've done before... I don't think there's any specific order there. I've spf'd several times but I don't think I've had to activate my phone again. Restore your apps from TB, otherwise you won't have your data, only the apps.

Why did you leave GB?

OP
kevinkar

kevinkar

Reaction score
I ultimately did as you said. Once back on Froyo, it activated itself. I applied Z4Root and froze the only updater in the list which appears to work. Restored the apps and data so it's pretty much as it was pre-GB.

Why leave GB? It broke too many things, removed valuable functionality from the camera and keyboard, reboots when simply playing music, and won't stay off when I turn it off. All the things people have complained about it hit me too and I just didn't have the same issues on Froyo. Sure there were some good things (after going back to Froyo, I notice battery life is worse) but, overall, Froyo just seems to work better for me.