Awful battery drain from Google Maps???

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by exp, May 20, 2010.

1. exp

exp New Member

I haven't even opened Maps since unplugging the device and this is the 2nd battery cycle in a row I've noticed that Maps is responsible for over 60% of my battery usage in Settings --> About Phone --> Battery Usage. It could have been going on for longer as I wasn't checking.

Anyone have any insight into this? The program isn't even running...
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

You must have some other app that's using that program as well. Perhaps a weather app or something of that nature?
  3. exp

exp New Member

Do you think it could be Foursquare? I only check in to places a time or two a day. I'm looking in the settings and I notice Geolocation Caching is selected within Foursquare. Think that might be it?

But I run Auto Memory Manager (for rooted users) on an aggressive profile to basically close most every app very often. So I find it hard to believe anything is running in the background.

The only other thing I could think of was maybe somehow the maps live wallpaper was somehow still active beneath my still background. Seems unlikely though.
  4. exp

exp New Member

Just unplugged it again. After 4 seconds I checked the status. Maps was responsible for 5% of the battery drain in those 4 seconds. I then opened Advanced Task Killer to see what's running.

Android Live Wallpaper (set to Nexus right now)
    BatteryLife
    Clock
    Calendar
    Handcent
    Mabilo Wallpapers
    HelixLauncher
    News and Weather
    Advanced Task Manager

That's it. How could Maps have used any battery? And why is it that other program names never show up in this list of battery usage stats? It's always just like Display and Cell standby and stuff.

After 2m 49s since unplugged:

Display 82%
    Maps 16%
  5. exp

exp New Member

With the phone sitting completely idle on my desk since making this post, Maps has now crept up to 49% battery usage.

WTF!!!!
  6. VideoGameMatt

VideoGameMatt New Member

Maybe uninstall the updates then reinstall them?
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Get rid of Advanced Task Killer too. Remove maps and reinstall as suggested. If that doesn't help you'll need to do a factory data reset out of your privacy sections.

Hopefully just an uninstall takes care of it.
  8. Taegost

Taegost New Member

It may be Foursquare, especially with geocaching. My guess is that every time you move your location, it's grabbing the outlying data to cache... It's probably not the Maps itself, but the GPS, which is a WICKED battery hog.
    I would try killing Foursquare and not using either that or Maps all day and see if that helps.
  9. rjax

rjax New Member

There have been a bunch of people reporting this issue. I've also had this issue, and I don't have any sort of task killer running, or Foursquare or anything like it.

Here's the issue on Google's bug tracking site:

https://code.google.com/p/android/i...id&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars

Feel free to star/add your comment to help bring it to Google's attention.

Here are a couple other threads discussing the issue:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/45252-google-maps-4-2-0-battery-life.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/43494-maps-eating-up-battery.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...2213-maps-showing-up-under-battery-usage.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/36629-battery-use-maps.html
  10. erikzen

erikzen New Member

Thought I'd chime in here too. Read all of the linked threads. There doesn't seem to be a fix for this problem and actually some believe it's not a problem with battery being drained but a reporting problem. I do know that after I updated to 2.1, updated Maps and installed Navigator my battery is draining fast. As another poster mentioned, even when plugged in the phone is not fully charging. I think I will try a reinstall and see what happens.
  11. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

In the first place, keep in mind that 16% does not represent 16% of your battery; it represents 16% of the battery USED in the 169 seconds since you unplugged your phone. For example (.16 * .001) or so.

But as to your question, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your News and Weather app is using maps.
Search tags for this page

android google maps battery drain

android google maps battery life
android maps battery drain
android maps drain battery
android maps draining battery

google maps battery drain

google maps draining android battery

google maps draining battery

google maps storing my location? battery
how to stop google maps from draining battery
is the foursquare app a battery hog?