Google Maps Eating Your Battery?

Gattaca

Reaction score
When I check my battery usage, it says Google Maps is eating up most of my battery despite that I haven't opened the app. I even checked running services - it doesn't show that Google Maps is running. Is anyone else having this issue?

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
If your running a Weather Widget like Beautiful or Weather Widgets Donate, if you have the geographical location set, I think it uses Google Maps to find your location to give you a semi-accurate forcast...I could be totally wrong but I have seen it on my phone and thats the only thing I could come up with.

OP
G

Gattaca

Reaction score
If your running a Weather Widget like Beautiful or Weather Widgets Donate, if you have the geographical location set, I think it uses Google Maps to find your location to give you a semi-accurate forcast...I could be totally wrong but I have seen it on my phone and thats the only thing I could come up with.

Interesting. I'll turn off geolocation on my weather widget to see if that changes anything. Thank you.

SGTiger

Reaction score

Those apps poll the GPS to determine location. Other apps don't ask Google Maps for a location.

OP
G

Gattaca

Reaction score

Those apps poll the GPS to determine location. Other apps don't ask Google Maps for a location.

That makes sense. Google Maps only started eating more battery when I turned off GPS, possiblying implying that if the Weather Widget cannot poll the GPS, it will use Google Maps! I just turned on the GPS. I'll let you know if anything changes.

SGTiger

Reaction score

That makes sense. Google Maps only started eating more battery when I turned off GPS, possiblying implying that if the Weather Widget cannot poll the GPS, it will use Google Maps! I just turned on the GPS. I'll let you know if anything changes.

No, those apps do not poll google maps if the GPS is turned off.

OP
G

Gattaca

Reaction score

No, those apps do not poll google maps if the GPS is turned off.

Hmm...then what is the root of this problem then?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could be the timing of when you check your battery screen. Difficult to say without details. Is Google Maps consistently at the top?