Automatically connect to wifi in ur house

Technoman

Reaction score
For the OP, I'd download Wefi, it's an app that looks for open networks and connects to the best one, also connects to any you have saved, much friendlier interface than the standard wifi settings, but I don't get why a speed test on my phone only gets to 5.5 mbps and on my wifi connected laptop it gets to 20.

Several reasons possible:

1) not the same speed test site.
2) buffers in the wireless for Droid not as good at throughput as the PC
3) Droid signal level may not be as strong as PC

kristoff125

Reaction score
The droid is as close as the PC, it's the app from speedtest.net, which I use. Although I saw it go as high at 14kbps.

mrmark27

Reaction score
For the OP, I'd download Wefi, it's an app that looks for open networks and connects to the best one, also connects to any you have saved, much friendlier interface than the standard wifi settings, but I don't get why a speed test on my phone only gets to 5.5 mbps and on my wifi connected laptop it gets to 20.

another possible reason could be if the laptop is wireless N and you have a N-router. If so, N speeds are higher which could account for the difference in speeds

kristoff125

Reaction score

another possible reason could be if the laptop is wireless N and you have a N-router. If so, N speeds are higher which could account for the difference in speeds

G goes up to 54mbps, and I'm running a G router anyways =)

jasonb

Reaction score

it's gotta be option 2. i have stood right next to my router and ran a speedtest and still haven't gotten quite as good of results as i do on my laptop, or PS3. i have seen 18Mbps on my ps3 and laptop, but have only seen a max of just over 11Mbps on my droid. 11mbps is still damn fast though.

when i send files from my laptop to my droid using an ftp server i have seen transfers of up to 3MBps (that's bytes, not bits). 3MBps is roughly 24Mbps. not sure why file transfers are that fast, but not internet, but whatever...

superglen99

Reaction score
Locale works great. You can set it to turn your wi-fi on either based on time or location. I have mine set to turn on when I get home from work at 12:30am and it's great. and Yes wi-fi is much faster. I usually get 1.5Mbps on 3g and over 5Mbps on wi-fi.

checker555

Reaction score
You'll be lucky if you get your Wifi to connect at all. From my experience and several others as well, using wifi on your droid from home is completely useless. I will either get stuck searching for an IP address, or simply error. This is a common problem with the droid, that will hopefully be rectified when 2.1 hits OTA.

This has not been my experience at all. I have 3 wifi networks I use regularly, and my Droid seamlessly connects through them when I am in range, and seamlessly switches to 3G when I am not. I have never had a single problem. They are secure networks, so I did have to do an initial password entry, but after that it's been automatic and perfect.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no probloem here between the three networks I jump around in. Like I leave wife enabled then as soon as I walk in my girlfriends house and I look on my phone it shows I'm connected without having to do a thing...

Unless you're looking for trouble, I suggest you not leave your wife enabled when you head over to your girlfriend's house.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dont forget that ever since N became a true IEEE standard, you can setup your router to run B/G/N mixed. That would easily explain why some people with N routers work and are connecting at 54mbps (G speed).