Automatically connect to wifi in ur house

olletsocmit

Reaction score
I want a good way for my cell to automatically connect to my home network. I want wifi on when I'm home all the time. Is there a way for my cell to detect the network n auto connect? I have seen stuff but it basically runs a gps 24/7 to see if I'm in my house

JCo352

Reaction score
I turn my wifi on through the power widget when i'm home and it connects automatically, I didn't do anything special for this, it just does it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want a good way for my cell to automatically connect to my home network. I want wifi on when I'm home all the time. Is there a way for my cell to detect the network n auto connect? I have seen stuff but it basically runs a gps 24/7 to see if I'm in my house

If you leave your Droid on wifi and don't change the settings it will automatically switch to 3g when it gets out of range of your wifi setting. If you're looking for an app to turn it on and off for you, not to my knowledge.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If you leave your Droid on wifi and don't change the settings it will automatically switch to 3g when it gets out of range of your wifi setting. If you're looking for an app to turn it on and off for you, not to my knowledge.

Try this:

Y5 - Battery Saver v1.5.1 Application for Android | Tools

I think it just always has wifi on in the background but battery really isnt affected

joshua117

Reaction score
you can try locale in the market, i know it does change settings (ie ringers) based on gps. it might do wifi. free app if i remember right so it couldn't hurt to try.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds dumb but, why have Wifi over 3g, Is it that much faster? I do not mean to derail your thread olletsocmit.

Download an app called Speed Test and do a comparison yourself. Wifi uses your internet speed. If you have a super fast internet then yes, it's that much faster.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds dumb but, why have Wifi over 3g, Is it that much faster? I do not mean to derail your thread olletsocmit.

Wifi is easily (3-10x) faster than 3G, given a good network connection. I download on 3G at about 150kbps, and I can get 1Mbps+ on my Wifi connection.

Latency on 3G isnt so great either, especially compared to Wifi.

LT*

Reaction score
For me, wifi is much faster at home. Download Speed test from the market and see how it is in your area.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the OP -- the WiFi running in the background all the time doesnt have much of an impact on your battery life if you're not using it. Unless your settings arent right, it should automatically connect to whatever networks you've given it passwords/permissions to connect to when you come in range, and it will always give Wifi precedence for data over 3g.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I assume your home wireless network is unsecured? Mine is a passwod protected WPA TKIP network, so all I did was let the wireless on the Droid find it and then entered the password and told it to remember it. Everytime I'm I'm home it just locks on. Hope that helps a bit...

x25064

Reaction score
You'll be lucky if you get your Wifi to connect at all. From my experience and several others as well, using wifi on your droid from home is completely useless. I will either get stuck searching for an IP address, or simply error. This is a common problem with the droid, that will hopefully be rectified when 2.1 hits OTA.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'll be lucky if you get your Wifi to connect at all. From my experience and several others as well, using wifi on your droid from home is completely useless. I will either get stuck searching for an IP address, or simply error. This is a common problem with the droid, that will hopefully be rectified when 2.1 hits OTA.

Really? I've never heard of this, nor had a problem connecting to any of the 4 networks my Droid bounces between.

bastosero

Reaction score

Really? I've never heard of this, nor had a problem connecting to any of the 4 networks my Droid bounces between.

I've never heard of this problem either. I can connect to my wi-fi very easily. It might be a problem with your network and not your Droid.

Last edited: