Auto update or manual update more battery efficient?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a long history to draw from but i noticed twice on my phone it charged over night but it didn't reach 100% and right after taking off charger after phone off charge it started to drop dramatically even on standby.
A few hours later I got a notice that some apps have an update available,I updated and battery drain showed down to normal.
Is it more energy efficient or less to enable auto update?
Thank you

sent from my Incredible via SlideIT on Tapatalk

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not think it make a difference which option you use. Lets see what others say.

InfernoX51

Reaction score
I don't have a long history to draw from but i noticed twice on my phone it charged over night but it didn't reach 100% and right after taking off charger after phone off charge it started to drop dramatically even on standby.
A few hours later I got a notice that some apps have an update available,I updated and battery drain showed down to normal.
Is it more energy efficient or less to enable auto update?
Thank you

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that manual update would be more battery efficient, but by a negligible amount. I think all you would be saving is the little bit of background data that the Market uses to check for the update. Thats pretty crazy that you experienced such dramatic drain though.

droidman101

Reaction score
Manual, by slight margin, because auto can make you download apps you don't want to dl. Anyways, they both check for updates equally, its just in auto-update it updates it for you automatically :)

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about auto updating just the ones that prove to to do updates often like Vignette.
Again not a long history of charges on it. Juice defender lite doesn't allow me to keep data on poll settings while plugged in but something was keeping going last night while it was charging, usage said os was biggest user and that's the only thing I could think of.
Thanks

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought the first time it did it that it was the virus scan app I had installed before going to bed but its not on the phone now.
Only other variable I Van think of is both times I had used google sky but I force closed it and made sure gps was off so now I'm totally confused