Audio issues

swanee

Reaction score
My bionic updated yesterday to whatever freeze dried nonfat frozen yogurt stuff that is being put out now- ever since it won't play any mp3 or wav audio files. It will play streaming audio from the web and play all the menu sounds.

Not only will it not play the audio but any time I try to open either the ringtone settings in the system-audio settings menu, or any music playing app (the preloaded music app, as well as my Amazon app, the Endomondo music player, etc...) the app crashes.

Is this a candidate for a hard reset?

JohnFH

Reaction score
swanee said:
My bionic updated yesterday to whatever freeze dried nonfat frozen yogurt stuff that is being put out now- ever since it won't play any mp3 or wav audio files. It will play streaming audio from the web and play all the menu sounds.

Not only will it not play the audio but any time I try to open either the ringtone settings in the system-audio settings menu, or any music playing app (the preloaded music app, as well as my Amazon app, the Endomondo music player, etc...) the app crashes.

Is this a candidate for a hard reset?

This is a common problem. I encountered it after upgrading my Razr to ICS. I was able to fix it by clearing the cache. If you're not sure how to clear the cache, let me know. I'm a former Bionic owner. However, as Samuri and others have noted, it is a good idea to do an FDR after a software update.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
After you updated and first booted into android did you let it do that updating media thing all the way?

tuffguy98

Reaction score
Same Issue

I'm having the exact same issue, and my phone did not complete the media update part.

It was stuck on the media update screen for about half an hour, so I figured I'd let it update overnight. But come morning (about 7 hours later) it was still stuck on that screen, so I figured something was wrong and took out the battery and put it back in.

Is there a way to redo the media update?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
tuffguy98 said:
I'm having the exact same issue, and my phone did not complete the media update part.

It was stuck on the media update screen for about half an hour, so I figured I'd let it update overnight. But come morning (about 7 hours later) it was still stuck on that screen, so I figured something was wrong and took out the battery and put it back in.

Is there a way to redo the media update?

Factory reset. I would also recommend removing media before the update so that it doesn't take so long.

jade_mad

Reaction score
I had this problem and it was solved by simply going into sound settings and readjusting the volumes. My volumes were set fairly loud and still weren't playing but as soon as I turned them all the way down and back up again the sound for was working properly again. hope this might help someone.

settings-->sound-->volumes--> the readjust the sound volumes until they start to play. There are 4 "music,video,games,&othermedia" "ringtone" "notifications" and "alarms"