Attention NHL Penguins Fans! Penguins Droid App Released!

M

Matth3w

What an amazing day for Penguins fans/Droid owners! :icon_ banana:

I checked my Twitter just now and noticed a Tweet from the Penguins telling me that they have recently released an app for the Droid called "Pittsburgh Penguins Mobile". Basically this application gives you news stories, stats, standings, scores, videoslive updates (also has access to Penguins' Tweets within the program)...and best yet (well not for me since I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore due to being active duty Army) it allows you to watch replays when you are in the Arena!!!

Even if you are missing out on that amazing feature, this is still a great app. Talking with your friends and want to let them know some key Penguins stats or NHL standings? No problem. Want to see some video that was played on the Jumbotron recently? No problem.

The only thing I think it's missing is a link to the live radio like they have on their website. But have no fear, you can get that feed from iheartradio for free since 105.9 the X is a Clearchannel station!

4453768160_7370bec832.jpg

FormerHPB

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed this. Then when I was on the phone, this app started up and blindsided me in the head. Now I have a concussion and I can't play hockey again this season.

OP
M

Matth3w

Just making a joke about a long line of cheap shot artists from the Pens.

Boston Bruins GM: Marc Savard unlikely to return this season - ESPN Boston

then you have Ulfie Sammuelson from way back int he day that pretty much cut short the career of one of the greatest Boston Bruins to lace up a pair of skates, Cam Neely.
Just for the record, it's not against the rules (yet) to hit someone in the head. He didn't charge, he didn't elbow, he just hit him. People get injured, especially when they aren't aware of their surroundings.

The Ulf hit on Neely was pretty nasty though.

Long line, as in the two you've mentioned out of their 43 year history?

FormerHPB

Reaction score
It will be illegal shortly. The NHL is speeding this rule change through because of this. Cooke has a long history of cheap shots to the head like this. The local news showed like 4 shots that are pretty much EXACTLY the same kind of hit he got Savard with. Even if it's legal, doesn't change the fact that it was a lame, cheap, blind shot to the head.

OP
M

Matth3w

It will be illegal shortly. The NHL is speeding this rule change through because of this. Cooke has a long history of cheap shots to the head like this. The local news showed like 4 shots that are pretty much EXACTLY the same kind of hit he got Savard with. Even if it's legal, doesn't change the fact that it was a lame, cheap, blind shot to the head.
You could show almost a clip a night of people getting people in the head in the NHL. Until it's illegal, it's a perfectly legit hit. If it was Chara injuring Cooke you wouldn't complain one bit.

OP
M

Matth3w

The difference is that Chara doesn' ahve a history of cheap shots to the head like Cooke does. His own teammates have come out and said this is a cheap shot. Here's Bill Guerin saying he deserved a suspension:

Penguins' Guerin says NHL should ban hits to head like teammate Cooke's on Bruins' Savard | StarTribune.com
So the history should matter? So if I am convicted of speeding in my car, the next time I am not speeding but get pulled over I should get convicted of a DUI based on my history, not the current hit? The only time history should come into play is when factoring the length of a suspension. History should have ZERO bearing on CONVICTION, only PUNISHMENT if convicted.

Cooke didn't do anything illegal. I thought he was going to be suspended, and I would have been ok with that except the NHL needs to be consistent. A) he did nothing illegal, and B) Richards did the same exact thing and got no suspension, so the NHL needs to be consistent.

And Guerin said they should ban hits to the head. Notice they haven't banned it yet. The focus of the article was the Guerin felt that those types of hits should be suspension worthy, which they should be. But they aren't - yet.

And you make it sound like the Bruins' entire season was ruined by this hit and the Penguins are the villains because one person on his own hit one of your players. The Bruins suck, which is why they are battling to keep that 8th spot. Savard would be golfing after the first round anyhow...so he can rest up and come back next year and maybe you guys can give it another go around.

It wasn't like Bylsma told Cooke to go hit the guy in the head. It's not like Cooke purposely tried to injure the guy. Was it an irresponsible hit? Yes, I agree it was...but it was legal, and I'm sure his intent was to flatten Savard, but certainly not injure him. And you still have named two players in 43 years that are "cheap shot artists" and one of them didn't even play most of his career in Pittsburgh. Hell both of them haven't really.

Sodner

Reaction score
BTW got the app installed and can't wait to try out the video's when I'm at the game this weekend. CMU has had their YinsCam setup in the arena but it would not work on a Droid last few times I tried. Hopefully now it will. :)

OP
M

Matth3w

How about this hit where Boychuck leaves his feet? Does that mean that Boychuck makes the Bruins a long line of dirty players?

[video=youtube;xPmmbylmuHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPmmbylmuHg"]YouTube - Johnny Boychuk Hits Matt Stajan - Bruins at Leafs - Dec 19 09[/video]

Here's another shoulder to the head (clean hit, but same thing, shoulder to the head):

[video=youtube;q3EuXTd4Y8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3EuXTd4Y8U"]YouTube - Dennis Wideman levels Matt Stajan 10/23/08[/video]

How about this hit?

[video=youtube;MRl5fxm_vBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRl5fxm_vBg"]YouTube - Michael Ryder Boarding Hit on Blake Comeau (03/06/2010)[/video]

How about this cross check to the head?

[video=youtube;8Gq-FMo9eBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gq-FMo9eBM"]YouTube - Lucic dirty hit over Lapierre __ Lucic is a sucker__Game2: 2009 Playoffs: Habs vs Bruins[/video]

So does that mean the Bruins are a long line of dirty players? Of course not. Don't be a homer, you look silly.

BeepBoopBoo

Reaction score

Gkope

Reaction score
Cool, was wondering when this was coming to android. Thanks for the heads up.

The app has a link to let you sign up for the Matt Cooke Fan Club direct!

Actually, as a lifelong PENS fan, I can't and won't defend that hit. Regardless of whether there was a rule in place or not, there are hits you just don't take. And that was one of them. Hopefully, Savard makes it back quicker than it looks now. And more importanly, hopefully he has no lingering effects and gets back to leading a normal life now.

OP
M

Matth3w

Cool, was wondering when this was coming to android. Thanks for the heads up.

The app has a link to let you sign up for the Matt Cooke Fan Club direct!

Actually, as a lifelong PENS fan, I can't and won't defend that hit. Regardless of whether there was a rule in place or not, there are hits you just don't take. And that was one of them. Hopefully, Savard makes it back quicker than it looks now. And more importanly, hopefully he has no lingering effects and gets back to leading a normal life now.
I agree, but it was still a legal hit. I was at that game and I even tweeted (you can go back and look if you don't believe me) "Cooke will be suspended for that hit" as soon as it happened.

That being said, that one hit doesn't make the Penguins a dirty organization.