DF Members Working on Root Access Project for Droid X and more - Need Driver Devs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
open_padlock.jpg

The impressive work of some of our own members here at DroidForums has not gone unnoticed and could use your assistance if you are a driver developer on Android. AliasXerog and some of his team, PalmerCurling and Jaxidian, are 'hard-at-work' developing an ambitious kexec module for the Droid X. This Mod will allow someone to boot a new custom kernel over a currently running stock one, which will give us full unlocked root access to the device. This capability has so far eluded the best in the Android community.

They recently released RC2 for the kexec project, but are still missing driver support for some functions. This mod is pretty hard-core stuff, so consider 'testing' it with caution.

Here's a statement from Jaxidian,
...AliasXerog (from our own DroidForums) released RC2 of his kexec module for the Droid X. This is by no means workable right now but is good progress in the right direction. This isn't for the light of heart to work with. It does, however, successfully load custom kernels on the Droid X (however, without radio and other functionality due to the lack of drivers).

Currently, he is desperately needing driver devs to help with the cause. We just recently got a site up that we'll be using to post information and links to files until this heats up a bit more. An interesting note: Monitoring the Google Analytics stats, it also seems that there is quite a bit of Chinese interest in this project since they recently got the ME811. Their Android boards are beginning to reference the website as they're very interested in doing the same thing.

Since the time of the above quote, they have made some progress and Jaxidian had this to add,
...we actually got our first driver, for the WiFi radio, working on custom kernels and are now systematically going down the list of other drivers. However, we will REALLY need some serious help when we get to the CDMA radio driver.

There's even more! They are also working on another pretty ingenious project. It is an Android app that will, "...help install our releases so that the average Android user (well, average DroidForums user) might be able to install the releases since it's all still VERY low-level and difficult to do. That would be very useful, and I can envision a ported version of this app could do amazingly well for other situations as well." - Jaxidian

Here are some useful links if you want to try out their stuff or offer assistance with their projects:

Project Bootloader Freedom - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
freemymoto.com -- Home of Project Bootloader Freedom : View Blog
freemymoto.com -- Home of Project Bootloader Freedom : Downloads : freemymoto.com -- Home of Project Bootloader Freedom
Twitter

As always, be very careful, because like the man said, "This isn't for the light of heart to work with," but their hard work is much appreciated, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final 'product'. Help get the word out so we can come together and make these amazing projects happen!

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Awesome bunch of guys and AWESOME idea for a project. Let's get this off the ground and finally get the full potential out of our Motorola phones! :)

HelpeRX

Reaction score
RE

It would be funny the day that this project is finished Motorola decides to give the key to unlock it ha-ha. Nah I am kidding but great work AliasXerog you are a great developer leading a great cause.

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It would be funny the day that this project is finished Motorola decides to give the key to unlock it ha-ha. Nah I am kidding but great work AliasXerog you are a great developer leading a great cause.

Thanks :). I would really love it if moto did unlock the bootloader. Thats would make me terribly happy.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
All I can offer is a hearty Good Luck...I have absolutely "0" abilty in writing anything...:)

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
All I can offer is a hearty Good Luck...I have absolutely "0" abilty in writing anything...:)

That's the funny thing - you can still help! The person who found our wifi drivers wasn't a dev. Check out the forum in the story's links.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

That's the funny thing - you can still help! The person who found our wifi drivers wasn't a dev. Check out the forum in the story's links.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
thats funny lol...hopefully i can help in some way but i have a droid 2 not a droid x

jdm627

Reaction score
it´s my hope for not change my X for HTC Incredible!!!