Atrix bootloader officially unlocked!!! what does this mean for the Global?

rusty815

Reaction score
for a while now, atrix owners have known that a GB update was eminent, now someone leaked gingerbread for the Atrix, and it has the lockable/unlockable bootloader of the Xoom! which means people can unlock it and to what they please to the phone now!!!

this raises up a big question for us D2G owners, since we havent seen an update yet, but we know that its coming sometime soon, does this mean we will be seeing the unlockable bootloader as well? im just speculating, any thoughts on this?

heres the engadget blog on it:

Atrix 4G bootloader unlocked: you can hack it up today or wait for official Gingerbread update -- Engadget

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
It means nothing.

Atrix is on AT&T.
Global is on Verizon.

Whether Verizon will agree to unlock the bootloader or not is a completely different story.

OP
R

rusty815

Reaction score
regardless of the carriers it proves that motorola is actually going to keep their promise of unlocking some bootloaders, im going to be optimistic and say that this means that we may very well see the same thing happen to the global.

kevdliu

Reaction score
verizon has approved the activation of unlocked bootloader phones on their network. I have seen it some where but forgot where.

so YES!!!

OP
R

rusty815

Reaction score
verizon has approved the activation of unlocked bootloader phones on their network. I have seen it some where but forgot where.

so YES!!!

i swear i dont think im exaggerating when i say that the droid dev world might explode of the current line of droids all get unlocked, however unlikely that sounds.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Please learn to investigate and to read. This topic was already discussed here. What Verizon stated is that they allow activation of phones with unlocked boot loaders on their network.

That's it.

However, you can't even tell — from the carrier's side — if the boot loader is unlocked or not.

They did not state they will unlock anything. They said that phones — namely by HTC in that reply they provided — with unlocked boot loaders will work on their network.

kevdliu

Reaction score
Please learn to investigate and to read. This topic was already discussed here. What Verizon stated is that they allow activation of phones with unlocked boot loaders on their network.

That's it.

However, you can't even tell — from the carrier's side — if the boot loader is unlocked or not.

They did not state they will unlock anything. They said that phones — namely by HTC in that reply they provided — with unlocked boot loaders will work on their network.

isnt that the exact same thing as what i said?
"What Verizon stated is that they allow activation of phones with unlocked boot loaders on their network." and "verizon has approved the activation of unlocked bootloader phones on their network."

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
This topic was not at all about whether phones with UBL will be allowed on VZW or not.

It's about whether VZW will allow Motorola to unlock boot loaders on their phones.

ExodusC

Reaction score
This topic was not at all about whether phones with UBL will be allowed on VZW or not.

It's about whether VZW will allow Motorola to unlock boot loaders on their phones.
Aren't pretty much all HTC phones sold without a locked bootloader?

I don't see why Verizon would refuse Motorola the right to unlock theirs on Verizon phones, other than, well, just being jerks.

OP
R

rusty815

Reaction score

I don't see why Verizon would refuse Motorola the right to unlock theirs on Verizon phones, other than, well, just being jerks.

well if you know verizon, you know that theyre a bunch of jerks. im still staying optimistic and saying that we will see our bootloader unlocked, it would certainly be a good explanation for why motorola is taking so long to roll out their update.

ExodusC

Reaction score

well if you know verizon, you know that theyre a bunch of jerks. im still staying optimistic and saying that we will see our bootloader unlocked, it would certainly be a good explanation for why motorola is taking so long to roll out their update.
I personally speculate that the update delay doesn't have to do with any potential bootloader unlocking, but who knows, I would love for that to be true.

I don't think Verizon would have contractually forced Motorola to keep their bootloaders locked, as HTC is allowed to sell phones with unlocked bootloaders, as well as the fact that Motorola's bootloader locking was their own internal policy (post original Droid), correct?

All we can do is speculate, really, but I do really want to see the bootloader unlocked on the Droid 2 Global. If the Droid 3 launches unlocked, I really may consider selling my Droid 2 Global and paying the difference... Though I think when I signed with Verizon they told me I couldn't do that. I actually kind of miss AT&T's flexibility in that regard.

Asphyx

Reaction score
The only thing the Atrix situations shows is that Moto could and would unlock a bootloader for a phone that had one locked.

Doesn't mean it's going to happen for D2G or that VZW will let them put one in an OTA anytime soon.

It doesn't matter what VZW allows for HTC since the HTC phones are available at other carriers. If you can unlock a Sprint HTC model then it would work on a VZW HTC as well.

So even if they said no the HTC phones would get unlocked!

VZWs comments were basically about HTC phone that were never locked and sold through VZW.

So don't read much into it especially in regards to the D2G and Moto.