Motorola to Offer an Atrix HD Developer Edition with Unlocked Bootloader

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
atrix-hd-dev-edition.jpeg

In keeping with tradition, AT&T's Motorola Atrix HD came with a locked bootloader. While this didn't surprise anyone, that didn't diminish frustrations any. Luckily, Motorola hears and understand our frustrations and have chosen to do something about it. Just yesterday they announced they will be releasing a Developer Edition of the Atrix HD that will come with an unlocked bootloader.

We don't have any pricing or availability, but we will share those details as they emerge.

Source: AtrixForums via Engadget

skennelly

Reaction score
Am I the only one that sees this as being bulls***. Let the phones be unlocked with a code that they email you. The non developer editions are still going to burn some folks. Someone that gets their first smartphone before even knowing what a bootloader is and then wants to read, learn, and then customize their phone. Everyone seems to want to kiss Motorola's butt for offering a dev edition. However, I still think they are P. O. Ses.

ricky0702

Reaction score
Developer editions are a horrible idea I hope never catches on. Sell the phone, offer a *complete* bootloader unlock service,

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that sees this as being bulls***. Let the phones be unlocked with a code that they email you. The non developer editions are still going to burn some folks. Someone that gets their first smartphone before even knowing what a bootloader is and then wants to read, learn, and then customize their phone. Everyone seems to want to kiss Motorola's butt for offering a dev edition. However, I still think they are P. O. Ses.

When did an encrypted bootloader ever stop one from customizing their phone?

It stops, gets in the way of custom ROMs...but customizing an Android phone is as easy as going to the Play Store and searching for themes, launchers, lock screens apps, keyboards, etc. Yea...I would like for thwem to just unlock them or offer it on the unlocking site. There are some phones on their unlock list.

BS would be them not doing anything at all....IMO. Its better than nothing...thats all I can say. Forget this...I am more irked at Moto for some of the phones on the list not getting ICS. And it has to be something about their relationship with Verizon. Every where else a regular Moto phone can be unlocked thats on the list. Only Verizon has dev editions.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87215/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MzA0ODUwMi9zaWQveVF6S3lvYmw%3