AT&T Announces Testing 5G that is 10-100 Times Faster Than LTE

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
5g.png

It looks like AT&T is working toward a higher speed 5G LTE network even though an actual 5G standard has not been settled by the 3GPP. We already know that both Verizon and Sprint are already testing 1Gbps Advanced LTE wireless internet capabilities, so it's no surprise that AT&T is joining the party. Here's a quick quote from their press release,

"Customers will see speeds measured in gigabits per second, not megabits. For reference, at one gigabit per second, you can download a TV show in less than 3 seconds. Customers will also see much lower latency with 5G. Latency, for example, is how long it takes after you press play on a video app for the video to start streaming on your device. We expect 5G latency in the range of 1 to 5 milliseconds."

A fully fleshed out roadmap is still in the works, but estimates predict it will take at least until 2020 for AT&T's 5G network to see a widespread rollout.

Source: AT&T

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
When this gets up and running, I think data limits HAVE to increase. We're talking something on the order of 50X the bandwidth, and making standard plans "only" 20GB is just a 10X increase.

But the more likely scenario might be offering 250GB home "broadband" plans to compete with cable providers, which would really be shafting wireless subscribers (maybe unless they offer good bundled deals).

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Faster for what? So you can hit your limit faster and they can drain your wallet faster?
I've seen you mention this a couple times now.

How do I hit my caps faster? They are providing more bandwidth. For you to hit your cap faster you'll be requesting data more.

For example watching a 2 hour movie at 20Mbps is the same as watching it at 100Mbps download speed.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeah, I remember those debates.

I assume he means because speeds are faster, he'll use his phone more. Faster speeds = more demand. Supply-side economics, I guess.
But that's not the phone companies fault. My usage hasn't changed since 3G.

I use between 4 to 6Gbps a month.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But that's not the phone companies fault. My usage hasn't changed since 3G.

I use between 4 to 6Gbps a month.
I don't understand the debate either. I used to use about a GB a month back with evdo (and 1x) and I use about a GB a month with LTE. I just don't have to wait for buffering and page loading anymore. Back when I had the vcast pack and my Dare phone I used to use over 5GB a month streaming radio over the Sonoma website but once I went to a smartphone I just don't use the data anymore, even when it was unlimited.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

hkwise01

Reaction score
But, streaming 4k content that is becoming the norm will easily eat more data. No point in a car having a faster top speed when the fuel tank runs out. How about they invest in expanding the network load for more customers so a data limit isn't needed?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But, streaming 4k content that is becoming the norm will easily eat more data. No point in a car having a faster top speed when the fuel tank runs out.

Well, there's really no point in 4K content for a phone or tablet.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have never once seen anything in 4k. I doubt I will for a few years. 4k is not the norm.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Wasn't AT&T the one who claimed 4g but was really just 3g at max speed lol. I'll wait for some proof of concept...

And yes giving ppl that kinda speed will cause limits to be hit...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't understand the debate either. I used to use about a GB a month back with evdo (and 1x) and I use about a GB a month with LTE. I just don't have to wait for buffering and page loading anymore. Back when I had the vcast pack and my Dare phone I used to use over 5GB a month streaming radio over the Sonoma website but once I went to a smartphone I just don't use the data anymore, even when it was unlimited.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

I don't get it either. How you equate faster speeds to using more data doesn't make sense. The media, music or movie you're streaming doesn't play faster just because your overall download speeds are faster. And if you're going with the "people will stream more 4K content" scenario, then 1: You obviously don't know that 4k already streams perfectly fine on 4G, so why aren't people going over their data caps now?
2: see option 1.

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What's att current 4g speed 1mbps? The 10-100x increase would make them comparable to vzw and tmo.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Wow. Did someone open a box of sour patch kids? Someone has to be the first to rollout 5G (whether its approved 5G standard or not...like 4G was at the beginning), who cares if its AT&T or Verizon or Sprint...or Cricket? Once it's up & running the other networks will fall in line quickly and then we all have it. I say bring it on...whomever that is!