AT&T Announces Testing 5G that is 10-100 Times Faster Than LTE

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I look forward to 5g, of course we may go through the battery issues again, but bring it on.

This means better viewing experience for watching movies and TV on the go (and I have to admit it is pretty amazing now).
Could you imagine back in 2003-2004 when we were watching TV on one of them held hand portable TVs (which was considered cool then) that we would not only be able to watch TV and movies on our phones but they would be much higher quality than a portable TV feeding off of radio signals?

As far as data yes higher speeds mean we can view content in better resolution, but that does not mean you have to watch every video in 4K. My data use (on average) has been about the same since the og droid (3g data) days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I still don't see what the point is ...nobody has a really good 4g lay out yet. Oh look..something new!! We don't have reliable 4g service in a large part of our network .but we're going to make bigger markets have even faster speeds...cause .we can!!! Yaaaaay

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I look forward to 5g, of course we may go through the battery issues again, but bring it on.

This means better viewing experience for watching movies and TV on the go (and I have to admit it is pretty amazing now).
Could you imagine back in 2003-2004 when we were watching TV on one of them held hand portable TVs (which was considered cool then) that we would not only be able to watch TV and movies on our phones but they would be much higher quality than a portable TV feeding off of radio signals?

As far as data yes higher speeds mean we can view content in better resolution, but that does not mean you have to watch every video in 4K. My data use (on average) has been about the same since the og droid (3g data) days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
back in 06-07 I was one of the few that took advantage of the media flo tv feature on my LG 2700. I got a 30 day free trial that someone at Verizon forgot to start charging me for for about a year and a half. When my youngest was first born when I got home from work each evening I'd hold her and we'd watch tv on the phone together. Her favorite show was Star Trek. I watched more tv on my phone back then than on an actual television.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still don't see what the point is ...nobody has a really good 4g lay out yet. Oh look..something new!! We don't have reliable 4g service in a large part of our network .but we're going to make bigger markets have even faster speeds...cause .we can!!! Yaaaaay

It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend huge amounts of money upgrading low traffic towers in sparsely populated areas when you know this 5G is just down the road.

VZW covered 90%+ of its subscribers with LTE pretty quickly. And it's densely populated urban areas where towers become overcrowded and signals don't do a great job of penetrating and going around tall buildings.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This is will be awesome if 5G happens to be in our phone.
I'm sure we'll have new radios for 5G and of course there will be new plans and new phones to accommodate it.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use my phone when I'm bored, and used to spend a lot of time waiting for sites to load. There is virtually no wait time now, so while my surfing pattern is the same, I find other sites to visit causing my data usage to increase. I understand it's my fault, but I'm positive companies will see a usage increase at higher speed.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll have new radios for 5G and of course there will be new plans and new phones to accommodate it.

I wonder if this time VZW won't deny unlimited users (which I'd be fine with, 4G is plenty fast for me)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wonder if this time VZW won't deny unlimited users (which I'd be fine with, 4G is plenty fast for me)
What were you denied? I went from 3G with a DX to 4G on a thunderbolt without issues.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend huge amounts of money upgrading low traffic towers in sparsely populated areas when you know this 5G is just down the road.

VZW covered 90%+ of its subscribers with LTE pretty quickly. And it's densely populated urban areas where towers become overcrowded and signals don't do a great job of penetrating and going around tall buildings.
I guess for me ...it makes more sense to have a solid base from which to build off of..towers and other structures.... There are areas in Houston that are poorly covered and have 4g drops all the time..so..for me...I'd want to assure my customers of a quality of service ..before i go tipping my coin purse to further spread my resources..which are apparently not being greatly managed. But ..as i said..that's just me..

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
It would seem to me that faster speeds are to their advantage as the download that used to take 20 sec and now takes 2 sec frees the network for 18 seconds for other traffic Quicker in/out of their towers should reduce congestion by tons.