Verizon Announces 5G Roadmap; Field Trials Start in 2016

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Why am I not liking this idea???

Yes, me too! A little uneasy about it. Have to wonder if it's Verizon making an attempt to hang onto their customers that are wanting to leave. And then I have to wonder if it's Verizon finding another reason to raise rates. But the biggest fear I have is that right now, finally, Verizon has some stiff competition which is better for us in hoping they will start being more competitive in their pricing. But with this upping the ante, they now have another reason to push our wallets even more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Sorry, I just don't see it happening. Everyone said the very same thing when 4G was rolling out and that never happened. Just because you have faster speeds, that doesn't mean you're going to watch a movie or listen to a song 10 times faster. The only people who will benefit from this are those who abuse the system by downloading pirated material. Everyone else will continue using their devices exactly the same.
Those aren't the only people who would benefit. Businesses like ours will be helped by higher/better speeds. Better speeds means larger faster file transfers to guys in the field. Better options for "live" support with video calls and transfers.

Yes those who steal music, software, and movies will get them a little faster but that will never change. But to say that faster speeds wouldn't greatly benefit many many others is really accurate...

I do feel your average "everyday" user will not notice much of a difference. Videos on 4G for the most part don't buffer or stall as well as music.

Note 4tified

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That's what we pay for, and that's why VZW costs more. If you want yesterday's service available in less places, that's when you go bargain hunting at TMo or Sprint.
Actually, I would opt for 3g or 4g speeds at a lower price over 5g with no question, especially given that I use wifi most often. The only thing that keeps me from switching is coverage in my area is lacking.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see it happening. Everyone said the very same thing when 4G was rolling out and that never happened. Just because you have faster speeds, that doesn't mean you're going to watch a movie or listen to a song 10 times faster. The only people who will benefit from this are those who abuse the system by downloading pirated material. Everyone else will continue using their devices exactly the same.
I'm not getting into this only those who abuse blah blah argument again.

you'll be able to download games faster, games can be larger... etc etc... period. there's more than just pirating software to consume data

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They won't allow grandfathered unlimited plans on 5g..call it a hunch.

How fast is 4g in Europe again?? And how fast is it here?? So 5g in America will be like European 4g??

Why am I not liking this idea???
I was just thinking that. I'm curious about whether that is true 5G or 4.5 G. Our own DF fact checker @FoxKat will probably have a write up on that.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm not getting into this only those who abuse blah blah argument again.

you'll be able to download games faster, games can be larger... etc etc... period. there's more than just pirating software to consume data

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I completely agree, but your original argument was that people would burn through their data faster. That isn't going to happen. Just because you have faster speeds doesn't mean you're going to download (or play) anymore games than you already download (or play) under your current 4G connection.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I completely agree, but your original argument was that people would burn through their data faster. That isn't going to happen. Just because you have faster speeds doesn't mean you're going to download (or play) anymore games than you already download (or play) under your current 4G connection.

my statement was not an argument but an anecdotal statement not meant to be taken seriously.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Here you go...

4G network speeds ranked by fastest to slowest. But no, you won't have 4G in Spain even coming close to 5G here in the USA, IMHO. They're talking 50 times 4G, but even if it's only 10 times faster it will still outpace Spain by 1.5 times.

4g-lte-download-speeds-by-country-speed_chartbuilder.png

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That graph seems severely outdated. Even my worst 4G speeds 2 years ago I got better than 6.82mbps up.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Having traveled extensively throughout the Northwest, Midwest and Southeast over the past year, my average was 25 mbps. Still seems low from my experience.
Current speed in my apartment
wO3x0tg.png
which I might add is much lower than being outside or around town.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I was just thinking that. I'm curious about whether that is true 5G or 4.5 G. Our own DF fact checker @FoxKat will probably have a write up on that.
I'm thinking here it will probably be 4.5g because we don't have a solid 4g build out..

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Having traveled extensively throughout the Northwest, Midwest and Southeast over the past year, my average was 25 mbps. Still seems low from my experience.
Current speed in my apartment
wO3x0tg.png
which I might add is much lower than being outside or around town.
lucky you... I get this and sometimes 15 in Oregon and Washington

693e1a9aac8d3d55cc92d0888261a436.jpg

I haven't got over 20megs in a very long time... it used to be 30+ all the time.