Verizon Announces 5G Roadmap; Field Trials Start in 2016

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon-Logo-AH-5.jpg

Verizon is moving fast to take us to a whole new level of wireless speed. They just issued a press statement (and a video which you can watch in the thread below), detailing their roadmap network evolution to 5G in the coming few years.

The new network is about to roll out strong and fast, as they will commence field trials starting next year. In fact, Big Red could have an initial consumer deployment as soon as 2017. Verizon didn't give specific details on the capabilities or specs of the new 5G standard, but they had this to say,

The expected benefits of 5G, as described during Verizon’s inaugural forum, include about 50 times the throughput of current 4G LTE, latency in the single milliseconds, and the ability to handle exponentially more Internet-connected devices to accommodate the expected explosion of the Internet of Everything.

Check out the full press release at the source link for all the nitty gritty: Verizon sets roadmap to 5G technology in U.S.; Field trials to start in 2016 | Verizon News

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's that video from Verizon:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's a beautiful thing! Verizon continues to lead the pack by consistently updating their infrastructure.
I don't imagine we'll hear any wise cracks from John T-Mo Legere today. He's probably sitting in his office with the door locked sobbing uncontrollably.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I wish they would focus a little more on some of the dead zones they have. I think once someone can advertise TRUE coast to coast coverage they will take a huge share of the market with people who travel for work like myself...

Not to mention NATIVE wifi calling and messaging....

Note 4tified

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This will either kill remaining unlimited plans for sure, or their plans for everyone will get really, really good.

50X the bandwidth would allow them to easily give 10X current plans for everyone, with no concerns about capacity. The one caveat would be 4k video, but there's really no need to be viewing that on phones or tablets.

Otherwise, the fact remains once you allow unlimited data with tethering - especially at those speeds - people will cancel home broadband and routinely start using well over 150GB a month (only millions of users instead of several hundred).

Still an exciting development, for sure.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am getting more dropped calls on LTE than I ever did before.
I'm also seeing quality issues where I need to hang up and call the other party. Also on Verizon LTE.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish they would focus a little more on some of the dead zones they have. I think once someone can advertise TRUE coast to coast coverage they will take a huge share of the market with people who travel for work like myself...

When SkyNet becomes self aware you are going to wish you never made that statement! :p

nalgon

Reaction score
Hopefully I can keep my unlimited data plan when I switch to 5G lol!!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They won't allow grandfathered unlimited plans on 5g..call it a hunch.

How fast is 4g in Europe again?? And how fast is it here?? So 5g in America will be like European 4g??

Why am I not liking this idea???

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When SkyNet becomes self aware you are going to wish you never made that statement! :p
The Terminator future won't occur because once SkyNet becomes self aware, so will Siri, Cortana, and Alexa. At that point, they will have a big party, and he'll be too happy to want to kill all the humans. :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The Terminator future won't occur because once SkyNet becomes self aware, so will Siri, Cortana, and Alexa. At that point, they will have a big party, and he'll be too happy to want to kill all the humans. :D
Or will it be a naggy competition.. Oh..siri just killed half of Denver in 2.5 seconds, Alexa just killed the other half and 30%of its outlying areas in 2.2 seconds..but cortana just wiped out las Vegas....coming up after we take a break...we'll switch to higher yield bunker busters...to really dig out that human infection...sponsored by Intel....
Be sure to stay with us ...while ya can..baaahahahahahahahahaha

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
now you can burn through your monthly data allowance in 1 day.

have fun.
Sorry, I just don't see it happening. Everyone said the very same thing when 4G was rolling out and that never happened. Just because you have faster speeds, that doesn't mean you're going to watch a movie or listen to a song 10 times faster. The only people who will benefit from this are those who abuse the system by downloading pirated material. Everyone else will continue using their devices exactly the same.