Asus Nexus 7 Question

Anomander

Reaction score
First I know this is Phone site, but It's my favorite site and I like a lot of the people on here. I figure most of us that have a Android phone probably have an Android tablet as well. I am hoping someone can help me with this. My wife's Nexus 7 was working one minute then showed this on the screen. Judging by how unresponsive it has been when trying to do a hard reboot it seems like it is dead. Sometimes I can get a picture and get to settings, but it is not responsive at all. Any ideas on what I should do?
Nexus7b.jpg

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Since it's a nexus I have to ask, have you or your wife modified it at all?

Have you tried booting into recovery and considered wiping data? Or considered flashing the stock firmware again?

From the image it appears the screen or digitizer may be bad.

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Have you tried booting into recovery and considered wiping data? Or considered flashing the stock firmware again?

Sent from my Note 4
I had started responding to this last night, but ironically fell asleep halfway thru, lol. There is a possibility that the digitizer has gone bad, or that there is a ribbon cable that has come loose inside, or that a surface mount chip has broken free and is making intermittent contact with the board, or perhaps a chip that's overheating and so, works well at cooler temperatures but then fails to work once it's reached a certain critical point in temperature. The fact that the screen does come on sometimes would tend to suggest the above, or could still very well be just a software problem.

The data that's being sent to the screen could be getting corrupted as a result of a failed software application or firmware, and just one bit of data information corruption could cause the entire stream of data that goes to the screen to be completely obliterated which could result in the apparently random color dot screen that we see there.

I'm going to lean towards a software or firmware problem for the moment. Especially since the OP seems to have a problem getting into the proper mode on the phone. Of course however, the fact that the screen is unresponsive when he gets it to certain screens such as the settings, it could still come back to point towards a failed digitizer.

I would follow the suggestions above to wipe and flash the stock ROM.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. I can't offer any better advice than what's already been shared here. Just wanted to poke my head in and see how this turns out. We've got 2 N7's in our house.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score

Sent from my Note 4
Running stock on the tablet (It's the wives so she didn't want me touching it since it was hers) so I tried to get into recovery mode, but with the screen I was unable to get anywhere on a reboot. I did manage to get the tablet apart and all the connections looked good until I moved the white cover on one connection (see picture). I believe that connections itself is solid . Tried charging the unit over night and I know it was taking a charge since I did briefly get the screen to show right one time, but it still mostly shows like on my original pic.

Attachments

• Nexus7C.jpg
    Nexus7C.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Nexus7D.jpg
    Nexus7D.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 168

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like parts just going bad. Could probably get it repaired, but as a fellow stock Nexus 7 owner on Lollipop....why? Could grab a 2nd generation Nexus 7 for pretty cheap.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
Sounds like parts just going bad. Could probably get it repaired, but as a fellow stock Nexus 7 owner on Lollipop....why? Could grab a 2nd generation Nexus 7 for pretty cheap.
Yea, I think so too. My wife used it quite a bit. I think I'll go with the Samsung Tablet 7. I know it only has 8GB for memory, but it does have that expansion slot for more space. I have had good results with Samsung phones, so I feel the Tablets should be pretty good as well. Amazon has it for $139 right now.