Apps

thomas1984

Reaction score
Alright so my razr in in the mail and it happens to be my first ever smart phone. I am wanting to know witch apps I should install to make my phone more functional. The best weather app is what? The best flashlight app is what? The best file manager app is what? now keep in mind Id like to stick to free apps if I can. Any other app recommendations you have for me?

AlexSB

Reaction score
The best weather app is The Weather Channel App, although GO Weather has some nice visiuals

The best file manager app is Astro File Manager

As for other apps, Go Launcher/ADW are good "home replacement apps", incase you want a little more customization.

Google Music is really nice for handling your music.

Yp is really useful when you're about (yellow pages)

Ill let you know when I think of some more apps lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Reaction score
I think ES file explorer is better than astro. Handcent is a really good and customizable messaging app, dolphin HD is a good browser.

Olmanrivah

Reaction score
It's going to come with several pre-installed Apps. Some nice, some not.

Some must haves:

Antivirus - Obvious
Superbox - good stuff
Netmemo - Audio notes that are emailed to you - Netmemo+ worth the price
Songbird - music
Atrackdog - keep Apps up to date
Audioguru - control sound
Quickpic - View pics
Esfileexplorer - file stuff
Shazam - music
iheartradio - listen to radio
Evernote - cloud stuff
Screen Ghost - my favorite - screen timeout stopper
:icon_ lala:

Deron

Reaction score
Although not a free app, "App Protector Pro" is one of the best overall apps on the Android Market. It allows you to lock specific apps without locking your entire phone. Now you can lock down text messages and email apps while leaving your web browser open. Also, in the event your phone is left somewhere, a person who finds it can open your contacts and call someone to tell them you lost your phone, but the sensitive parts of the phone are still inaccessible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Deron

Reaction score
It's going to come with several pre-installed Apps. Some nice, some not.

Some must haves:

Antivirus - Obvious

I'm not sure you want or need antiviral software on an Android phone. It will run in the background and use up resources. As long as you keep the default setting to only allow Android Market apps to be installed, there is no reason (IMO) to use a supposed "antivirus" App. I've used a Droid X for a year and my new Razr since launch and never had any malicious program install itself on my phone. I don't think the Android operating system works like Windows.

Here's a discussion i found about it

www.androidforums.com/android-lounge/76783-do-you-need-anti-virus-spyware-app.html

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not sure you want or need antiviral software on an Android phone. It will run in the background and use up resources. As long as you keep the default setting to only allow Android Market apps to be installed, there is no reason (IMO) to use a supposed "antivirus" App. I've used a Droid X for a year and my new Razr since launch and never had any malicious program install itself on my phone. I don't think the Android operating system works like Windows.

I think this is good advice. I can not tell you how many times in the past two years that someone's phone has been fixed when I suggested the uninstall an anti-virus app. These things can and have caused some weird problems. YMMV!!

On-the-other-hand, it is your phone and if you simply do not feel right unless you have an anti-virus app installed, then do it. But do keep in mind that if you encounter difficulties that the anti-virus app should be your first suspect.

good luck.

Deron

Reaction score
I think this is good advice. I can not tell you how many times in the past two years that someone's phone has been fixed when I suggested the uninstall an anti-virus app. These things can and have caused some weird problems.

good luck.

I've seen the same thing happen with those Task Killer apps. Task killers almost always make things worse for the phone. Also, a task killer can get your phone stuck in an endless loop if you install a new Android version from your phone manufacturer. I've personally seen that and had to do a complete factory reset on some girl's phone just to get the damn task killer off her phone and put the phone back to working status.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although I have The Weather Channel app, I also have WeatherBug and Rainy Days. The latter mainly shows a map where the clouds are and movement via time lapse. The others have something like that.

For news I suggest Taptu. I use Astro for file manager, but there are others. For the flashlight, I use Tesla LED (flashlight, strobe, Morse Code and police), but mainly because it's designed to work with their Widget Locker. That allows you to put stuff like a flashlight and camera launcher on your lock screen so you have instant access. You can put other items there, but that's what I have.

Another nifty widget is Beautiful Widgets. You have instant access with it for weather, calendar, alarm and timer. Plus you can change the skin to customize it.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've used antivirus apps, they do not take up much CPU as some would have you to believe. It only runs when you install a new app or a scheduled run.
I would have the app running and run top from the command line and the antivirus app was always near the bottom of the list with regard to CPU usage.

LukeH

Reaction score
Alright so my razr in in the mail and it happens to be my first ever smart phone. I am wanting to know witch apps I should install to make my phone more functional. The best weather app is what? The best flashlight app is what? The best file manager app is what? now keep in mind Id like to stick to free apps if I can. Any other app recommendations you have for me?

All the apps I suggest below are free.

Go Launcher EX - If you would like a more customizable home screen other than the stock one, I suggest Go Launcher EX. Then, download the Black Chrome Go Launcher Theme, or any other that you would like. That's just what I like. If you don't like that one, another good option would be ADW Launcher.

Facebook, Twitter, other social media - Totally your preference. Download what you would like. Just make sure you change your settings so they send updates every 15 minutes and not constant push. That will drain your battery like crazy.

ASTRO File Manager - Good file manager, if you don't like it there are plenty other free ones on the market to choose from.

Wheres My Droid - In case you ever lose your phone, this is a good app to locate it.

YoubTue - Another personal preference app. Download at your convenience.

The Weather Channel - This is the weather app I use, but you may prefer a different one. Try some out and choose the one you like the most.

Go Switch Widget - Put it on your homescreen. You can control when you want 4g/3g, wifi, airplane mode, battery life, etc.

Handscent SMS - Great messaging application. Use this is Go SMS. Both are great. Personal preference.

Tiny Flashlight + LED - Best flashlight app. Tons of settings.

Words with Friends, Angry Birds - Games; download whatever you would like.

hiimjered

Reaction score
A couple of additions:

If you have a Netflix account, download their app. It is really cool to watch movies and TV shows from the web on your phone.

Pandora is a great app for listening to music. It is a little like a radio station that you select the genre.

Cardio Trainer is an awesome workout app. I use it every time I work out. It uses the GPS to track your distance and time, plays your music while you work out, has options to race against your previous times, and integrates all kinds of other features. The basic version is free, but I liked this one so much I bought the pay version just to support the developer.

Battery Wallpaper is a pretty cool app. It is a live wallpaper that changes color to indicate your battery level.

Most businesses have their own app now. Some are very useful, some are worthless, but it is usually worth trying each one out to see if it is handy. I like the Best Buy app because it makes it easy to look up reviews. The Newegg app is good for the same reason. A few bank apps are useful, but most are more awkward than just hitting their website through the browser.

Overall every time you think "It sure would be handy if my phone could. . . " check the market, it probably can.

wkayl

Reaction score
Not Call Log

Deron

Reaction score
Netflix and Youtube come preinstalled on the Droid Razr.

dillont

Reaction score
Pulse is a good app for news, sports, music, etc- b/c you have all the sources you read all in one app. I use gentle alarm instead if the stock alarm app- more options and i like it better. Tango is a good app for doing video calls on the razr