Apps to SD

Discussion in 'Team D1-MIUI' started by DROOIID, May 21, 2011.

1. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Why can't I move all of my apps to SD card? It says failed not enough space but I have no songs pics or anything really on it. Please help

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI
  2. kamisan

kamisan New Member

if your using the built in app2sd it only partially moves the app. Instead partition your SD card with something like mini tool partition manager (its free) and you do not have to format, it partitions on the fly, make a 300mb or 500mb fat 32 partition after your main fat32 partition, then install link2sd it will let you move all but core system apps to the sd partition and it fully moves them. You can then set it to auto move any future app as well and updates. It works well, small overhead and it frees ALOT of memory that you need to run GB roms.
    P.S. after you install it, you need to move all the froyo app2sd moved apps back to internal before it can move them to the partition section.

my .02 worth
  3. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Thanks man

4. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Will you post a link for that mini tool partition manager app

5. kamisan

kamisan New Member

6. Droidlovinyogi

Droidlovinyogi New Member

Hey Kamisan,

Thanks for this info and explaining the process. I saw that you mentioned this set up in the V6 SuperCharger Script thread you started and was going to ask you how to go about setting it up.

Thanks Drooiid for posting the question.
  7. kamisan

kamisan New Member

setting it up,

I am an APP WHORE ;-) Thus I run out of space and the froyo way of handling apps2sd is only halfway and still cumbersome and after a while gets alot of junk in the folder it uses on the SD card (you dont see it unless you plug the micro sd into a pc) So I did some digging (same way I stumbled upon zepplinrox script) So I downloaded the mini tool wizard, put my micro sd card into a USB adapter and ran the software.

I know if you add muti partitions you have a few issues to deal with. One is that your PC will not see more than one partition on a USB style memory device (at least the mini tool claimed as much) I made my primary partition smaller first from 16GB down to 14. something (almost 15GB). (16 is not really 16 but real darn close)

Then after that I created two more partitions on the free space at the end. The first I did as FAT32 at 500MB (which is easy to work with and there are alot of utils that can get to it to repair, extract etc ) The last partition I made ext2 for a swap partition at 500MB that I don't care if I can get to or not.

Then I installed link2sd opened it and it first asks what partition you have ext2, ext3, fat, fat32 I chose FAT32 and it adds a startup script and after a phone reboot you have access to both the FAT32 and ext2 partition.

mmcblk02 should be your FAT32 partition
    mmcblk03 should be you ext2 partition

Open up the Link2SD app and now you can see your apps, if you choose a filter and filter to user apps it will show you all the apps it can move.

CAVEAT- If you already did the old froyo way of moving apps you will have to move them back first. It has the option to manage the app from withing the link2sd app.

When you set it up you want to go to settings you can tell it to auto move apps, this works pretty well. The only app it did not work well with that I use is google maps. If you move that one you will get FC's

After you move a pile of apps you will notice you have more free memory since you free up phone internal storage. I have 281 apps install and have 131mb internal free and average now about 61 running memory free.

If your interested in the swap partition install swapper2 when you run it go to settings and advanced and tell it to use the swap partition. It should use the last partition mmcblk03 by default. I choose 64mb of swap and 30% swappiness. It seems to work well.

Hope this helps.
  8. linkboy

linkboy New Member

I (finally) got this working yesterday, but I'm having one problem.

I can't access my SD card in windows via my phone. If I take the card out and put it in a card reader (so its not a partition issue), it works perfectly fine. It also works under OS X.

Anyone have any idea as to what could cause a Droid not to mount the SD card, but a card reader can?
  9. kamisan

kamisan New Member

access SD card through phone

turn off USB debugging while you access the card. Its a bug. this will get you around it. After you get the transfer done you can turn it back on.
  10. PARick

PARick New Member

I have found app swap to be really good for moving apps to the SD. It costs $1.99 (I think) but well worth it.
  11. linkboy

linkboy New Member

I got it figured out, thanks.

Although I don't recommend using Paragon Partition Manager, it messed up my MBR (I have a MacBook Pro which uses GUID to boot).

Needless to say I had to wipe my entire HDD and reinstall both OS X and Windows.

:mad:
  12. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

Thanks for all the help guys. This turned into a good and helpful thread.

13. rafiki1

rafiki1 New Member

If I were to change roms would I have to do the partitioning and everything again? What will happen to the apps already moved to sd using links2sd?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. rafiki1

rafiki1 New Member

Anyone know?

15. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, I think you would have to move all your apps back to internal storage, backup everything, swap roms, then restore...THEN...move them back to SD. I don't think Roms scan the SD card for apps and relink them to the Homescreen automatically.
  16. rafiki1

rafiki1 New Member

I installed new rom and partitions were still there but had to install all apps back and move to partition. Pretty much what you said. Thanks

17. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I use Titanium Backup to batch move ALL my apps to my SD, then I use another batch process on TB again to move the ones I need on my phone back to my phone (like widgets and certain apps).
  18. Genasus

Genasus New Member

Tried, and failed.

Hi,

I have a Droud X2, and am loving it. I synced my mail, callander and music, and tried to dl a ringtone and it said i was out of internal memory. Your solution seams like the best, but when i tried it, it didnt work. On a 16G card, i created a 500MB Primary partition, but link2sd says that there is not one there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Genasus dancedroid
  19. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

To do this do you need the paid version.
  20. Droidlovinyogi

Droidlovinyogi New Member

icculusX,

Thanks for the heads up about this feature in TiBu. I’ve had TiBu ever since I rooted – long before being on Miui. I bought the Pro version so I’d have all the premium features and updates, and up until now I’ve only used it for scheduled batch back up ups, but never used it to restore.

I just used it to batch move the apps that work from the SD over. It worked fine and freed up about 69MB of internal memory!

This latest build seemed to be a real memory hog. It’s the first Gingerbread build where not being able to easily move apps to SD became a real problem. It was getting so bad that I couldn’t even update my apps because of low memory. The phone was beginning to slow down, even while using Chevy’s 1.0Ghz-lowV kernel, which is high as I could go and still run cool.

Now the snap is back and it's super-quick, updates and all. It’s pretty amazing. I always knew that investing in TiBu Pro would pay off, just didn’t know it’d be now.
Search tags for this page
failed to move application not enough memory
how do i move apps to sd card on samsung axiom
how do you move apps to a sd card on a samsung axiam
how do you move apps to sd card on axiom
how to move apps from phone to sd card samsung axiom
how to move apps to sd card on axiom

how to move apps to sd card on galaxy axiom

how to move apps to sd card on samsung axiom

how to move apps to sd card samsung axiom
miui v5 how to move applications on sd card

samsung axiom move apps to sd card