Apple May Get To Remove Obvious Features From Android

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I'm looking at an email or text of any type, if I see a phone number I expect to be able to call it directly from tapping it, or at least be able to see it in the dialer. This has been the case since before I've had a smartphone. Even dumbphones are capable of this and have been for awhile. Granted, on a dumbphone it was a menu option rather than directly tapping the number, but it's still been a common and obvious feature for years.

*edit: This was even before the iPhone.

right and Apple has owned this patent since 1996. You missed my point entirely, my point was that at the time of invention it was NOT an obvious feature that everyone used, in fact not a single person ever used it before it was invented which at the time made it an extremely unique feature that now has become the standard. That was my only point, whether or not Apple should be able to use this patent in the courts is another story entirely.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is always obvious....funny how that always works huh. The truth is if it was so obvious it would have been done far sooner then when it was. Of course it's obvious now....

BraddahBoi808

Reaction score
So when does Google sue apple for the pull down notification rights?

EXACTLY.! I'm wondering the same thing. Apple is acting wayy too stupid. Their devices never change anyway. Thats why I went with the Bionic instead of the 4S. ANDROID FTW.!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
right and Apple has owned this patent since 1996. You missed my point entirely, my point was that at the time of invention it was NOT an obvious feature that everyone used, in fact not a single person ever used it before it was invented which at the time made it an extremely unique feature that now has become the standard. That was my only point, whether or not Apple should be able to use this patent in the courts is another story entirely.

What phone did Apple patent it for, back in 1996?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
As I have said before, I am completely ok with the court process and I think in the end Apple will lose this case because of the broadness of the patent in question. It may seem like Apple is "winning" when they are granted injunctions but really that is just giving the courts time to breakdown and understand the patents in question, hence Samsung now starting to come out on top in their battle with Apple.

chewy74

Reaction score
does it really matter what they remove or leave? Whatever they take away, root will give back

jseah

Reaction score
it's not a phone patent, it's used for both mobile and computing applications. I don't have the link to the actual patent in question but I have seen the page and it applies to both.

I believe the engadget article also stated that the way the patent was worded, someone would have to copy everything in the patent itself in order to be found guilty of violating the patent. Just having app switching per se would not be deemed a patent violation.

kptphalkon

Reaction score

First off, I am an idiot so take my lack of understanding into account please. From what I read in the "what they claim" section, it sounds like Apple can sue anyone for using text highlighting or selection, any type of auto-selection through clicking or screen tapping, and pretty much anything that relates to the system defining individual words/data strings and through user interaction performing another action related to that data. (Crap I'm turning into a lawyer with all this jargon-speak)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I believe the engadget article also stated that the way the patent was worded, someone would have to copy everything in the patent itself in order to be found guilty of violating the patent. Just having app switching per se would not be deemed a patent violation.

That's how things are supposed to work. You're not supposed to be able to patent obvious functionality (where the patent office is failing miserably, IMO), but you CAN patent the coding/hardware/architecture to do it (which I agree with). For the most part, Apple is suing with regard to the obvious functionality/design that they shouldn't have rights to (although they have a few valid claims against Samsung as far as software architecture).

I mentioned in the other thread their latest patents for fuel cell technology in mobile devices. That is just flat wrong on multiple levels. The way those two patents are worded (albeit going off a summary on a tech site, which may or may not be inaccurate and incomplete) any company incorporating fuel cell tech into a mobile device would violate Apple's patent, apparently even if Apple never actually develops a working software/hardware to accomplish this.

Apple is just working the system, but the patent process is horribly screwed-up. If you come to me with a great idea, but no working solution the idea is worth something, but not that much (especially if the idea isn't exactly earth shattering or unique). Hey look! I just patented automobiles that use cold fusion! Now I just need to sit back, wait for someone else to create the tech, and then troll for my rewards.

EDIT: let's make that use of cold fusion in vehicles designed to transport people between two points. Whew, almost screwed myself out of big bucks there restricting it to autos.