Apple Wins ITC Ban of HTC Phones in U.S.; HTC Responds with a Workaround & No Worries

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
apple-vs-htc-and-android.png

This is the first of a few update stories we have for you today. Previously, we reported that a big court case between Apple and HTC would be decided near the end of this month that could dramatically affect the entire Android ecosystem. Unluckily, the International Trade Commission ruled in favor of Apple, and has banned the importing of HTC devices that infringe Apple's patents. Luckily, the ultimate consequences turned out to be not nearly as dire as was possible.

First, the ITC banned the import and sale of HTC devices running the Android 1.6 and 2.2 OS. It was within these devices that Apple's patent '647 was being infringed upon. Supposedly, this still leaves a window for Apple to crawl through in which they could go after other manufacturers of Android products.

Ironically, the victory for Apple at the ITC will probably turn out to be a non-issue as HTC has issued a couple of statements indicating that they have already developed a workaround. This indicates that Google could also develop a workaround as well, and then share it with any other manufacturer so that Apple won't be able to go after anyone else. Here are some statements from HTC regarding the issue,

We are gratified that the commission affirmed the judge’s determination on the ‘721 and ‘983 patents, and reversed its decision on the ‘263 patent and partially on the ‘647 patent. While disappointed that a finding of violation was still found on two claims of the ‘647 patent, we are well prepared for this decision, and our designers have created alternate solutions for the ‘647 patent.

They further elaborated in a separate statement,

“We are very pleased with the determination and we respect it. However, the ‘647 patent is a small UI experience and HTC will completely remove it from all of our phones soon.”

Apple's retort was, "We think competition is healthy but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours." This is a truly hypocritical statement, and I must give props to the guys at DroidMatters for adding the following video to their article on this subject, shown below.

[video=youtube;CW0DUg63lqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CW0DUg63lqU[/video]​

Source: DroidMatters and BGR

Last edited:

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
Does apple see this as a big win??? Wen HTC (and probably Google) already have a work around.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Does apple see this as a big win??? Wen HTC (and probably Google) already have a work around.

The problem I see is it only applies to Android 1.6 and 2.2 With every phone now being on Gingerbread or beyond, are there any phones for sale still below Gingerbread?

ufcfan72

Reaction score
The problem I see is it only applies to Android 1.6 and 2.2 With every phone now being on Gingerbread or beyond, are there any phones for sale still below Gingerbread?

Yes some regional carriers still sale phones below gingerbread. Cspire is one of them

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

TheTyler0013

Reaction score

But if they have a work around fix, why is it a big deal???

redwood

Reaction score
Didn't Palm come up with that specific feature (recognizing phone numbers, urls, etc in unstructured data) in the first place, before the iPhone came out?

bigaaron84

Reaction score
Apple is just being a little ***** because Android is dominating them in every way shape and form

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
HTC also has four months (April 19, 2012) until the ban goes into effect, so I'm sure they'll disseminate a patch to address the issue before then.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Apple is just being a little ***** because Android is dominating them in every way shape and form

And apple themselves have been spanked for infringing also. (When is someone gonig to sue them over that "siri" nonsense, since basic voice recognition is part of the technology, something Android has already had?)

I don't drink their Kool-Aid and never will. Ever since it leaked out that apple is sitting on mountains of cash, all they've seen fit to do is sue anyone that they don't like, part of it fueled by that arrogant stevejobs' sick and misguided personal vendetta against Android. Can't handle competition, can they? Time for them to grow up and start innovating again.

With their Pariah long gone, the Kool-Aid Drinkers will soon watch that company implode under its own weight. IMHO they are 14:46 into their 15:00 of fame...

HTC also has four months (April 19, 2012) until the ban goes into effect, so I'm sure they'll disseminate a patch to address the issue before then.

Yep, and the funny thing is that it is on Android versions that most phones are no longer using. Bump those up to 2.3, and it's a dead issue (going by the letter of the law).

redwood

Reaction score
Nah they do make nice stuff...they just shouldn't act all high and mighty about it, since they are the new Microsoft.

Seems that old 1984 Mac commercial now has more than a bit of irony....Android is throwing the hammer now ;)

jseah

Reaction score
With their Pariah long gone, the Kool-Aid Drinkers will soon watch that company implode under its own weight. IMHO they are 14:46 into their 15:00 of fame...

This is exactly why Apple is suing, to slow down Android. In the third quarter of 2011, Android phone sales accounted for 56% of all phone sales, up from 25% for the same period in 2010. In that same time frame, Apple phone sales dropped from over 16% down to 15%. And if Apple can't slow or stop Android, then it will be just a matter of time before they're overtaken in the tablet market as well.

jseah

Reaction score

From what I read, the workaround is pretty simple. When clicking on a phone number in an email or text message, you will no longer be given a menu with options to call the number, save the number as a contact, or send the number a text message. Now you will only be able to call the number.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Didn't Palm come up with that specific feature (recognizing phone numbers, urls, etc in unstructured data) in the first place, before the iPhone came out?

There's a lot of stuff Palm started, but they most likely didn't file anything for it.