Apple Wins ITC Ban of HTC Phones in U.S.; HTC Responds with a Workaround & No Worries

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
People ask me why I hate Apple, why I hate a company.... This is why. I am glad that Jobs is in the ground, the guy was an absolute jerk. He may have been brilliant, but they say Hitler was a genius too. Doesn't make you a good person.

The more resources that Apple wastes trying to slow Android, the faster they will lose ground because those resources would have been better spent trying to innovate new phones that people want to buy.

Their strategery is simple... Instead of making better phones that people want to buy, they are simply trying to make it so that you can't buy anyone else's phone so that they become the only game in town.

F that.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
What confuses me is why they sued HTC over the operating system's supposed patent infringement. This is like Apple suing Dell because Windows 7 supposedly violates some Apple patents. I understand HTC is the largest of the Android phone manufacturers, but if Apple's case is so strong, why not sue Google and get a ban on ALL Android phones in the US?

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Probably because they felt it was easier to go after one manufacturer, win the case and then use that precedent against Google or the other manufacturers, rather than just go after Google directly. If you go up against Google directly and lose, you lose the entire war. If you select one maker and go after them, you might win, and you can then use that win to build your case against the bigger players, etc...

dja1980

Reaction score
Probably because they felt it was easier to go after one manufacturer, win the case and then use that precedent against Google or the other manufacturers, rather than just go after Google directly. If you go up against Google directly and lose, you lose the entire war. If you select one maker and go after them, you might win, and you can then use that win to build your case against the bigger players, etc...
Yep, it looks like they are going after "multitasking" next...

Apple awarded a patent for in-call app switching, starts drafting next lawsuit -- Engadget

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

jseah

Reaction score
What confuses me is why they sued HTC over the operating system's supposed patent infringement. This is like Apple suing Dell because Windows 7 supposedly violates some Apple patents. I understand HTC is the largest of the Android phone manufacturers, but if Apple's case is so strong, why not sue Google and get a ban on ALL Android phones in the US?

Apple is suing the handset manufacturers rather than Google because of a couple of reasons:

1. The offending features are part of the UI (Sense in the case of HTC and TouchWiz in the case of Samsung), which was created by the handset manufacturers, not Google, and most importantly,

2. When it comes to patent infringement lawsuits, one of the basic requirements is to be able to show that the offending party has profited from the theft of the intellectual property, and that is usually measured by the revenues as a result of the theft. Google doesn't sell Android, they give it away. If they are not making a dime from the Android OS itself, then it would be difficult for damages to be assessed.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure not profiting from a patent infringement would make that much of a difference in court. I could steal the Coca-Cola formula, make "Narsil's Cola" using the Coca-Cola formula and I don't think Coca Cola would have any problem winning a lawsuit against me for damages when I was giving away 700,000 bottles a day for free.

I'm further not sure the patent infringement is a Sense issue. My OG Droid running Stock Froyo would allow me to click phone numbers, addresses, and the like and have it open the appropriate app and enter the data automatically.

You guys do make excellent points that I had not considered; thank you!

gunit34328

Reaction score
From what I read, the workaround is pretty simple. When clicking on a phone number in an email or text message, you will no longer be given a menu with options to call the number, save the number as a contact, or send the number a text message. Now you will only be able to call the number.

WOW, that really sucks! hopefully this doesn't affect all android phones. Dam apple!

Last edited by a moderator: