Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you off of the top of your head without googling name me one device with a touch screen that used slide to unlock in it's UI prior to an Apple product? Where it was actually intuitive what to do to unlock the device?
Actually, yes. This was posted by Mujibar over at our GalaxyForums.net in response to this same article. Here's a quote from Mujibar,
I won't comment on how I feel about this. I think you guys know my position well enough, by now. Instead, let me direct your attention to this video which shows the very same feature on the Neonode N1m (a Windows CE device) in 2005. (Well before this feature existed on any idevice.) The part we're all interested in is at the 4:00 mark:
[video=youtube;Tj-KS2kfIr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tj-KS2kfIr0[/video]​
Source: Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

Jimbop

Reaction score
I'm not a frequent poster on these forums by any stretch of the mind, but I check them on a daily basis. Seeing this post however seriously makes me shake my head. I'm not sure who I hate more: Apple for stealing an idea and placing a patent on it or the patent system allowing a company like Apple to steal an idea. Let's only hope that if Apple does try to use this newly granted patent in court, the judge throws the case out the window based on theft of an idea.

Jimbop

Reaction score
Just remember Jobs' quote from an old interview he gave: "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Wonder which group he saw himself in?

According to the new iOS with the "new" notification bar, we already know where Jobs placed himself at. Lol.

sb1831

Reaction score
Actually, yes. This was posted by Mujibar over at our GalaxyForums.net in response to this same article. Here's a quote from Mujibar,

Source: Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

1. If that vid hadn't been posted would you have been able to? Honestly?
2. That method of unlocking isn't intuitive at all. It has a touch screen yes. Apple patented the idea because of the whole "slide this tab this direction to unlock your device" Saying that that is even remotely close to the slide to unlock on iOS, is like saying the IBM Simon's on screen dial pad patent should be used to sue every company that's ever used a touch screen dial pad. Is it used the same way? Yes. It it nearly as intuitive as in iOS? Not even remotely close.

jbdavies

Reaction score
2. That method of unlocking isn't intuitive at all. It has a touch screen yes. Apple patented the idea because of the whole "slide this tab this direction to unlock your device" Saying that that is even remotely close to the slide to unlock on iOS, is like saying the IBM Simon's on screen dial pad patent should be used to sue every company that's ever used a touch screen dial pad. Is it used the same way? Yes. It it nearly as intuitive as in iOS? Not even remotely close.
Don't you know you're supposed to just agree with everything against Apple/Steve Jobs and not question anything?! Quit acting like you have a voice/opinion of your own. ;)

*total sarcasm*

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

How does that Apple kool-aid taste?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

What makes something intuitive? I hear that word tossed around alot. Some ppl claim iOS is so intuitive...yet it was alot easier for me to use Android than iOS the first coming from the old Win Mo. That one button setup so many ppl rave is so intuitive had me lost, seriously. And how is the way its done on Neonode any less intuitive than locking and unlocking the iPhone? Its just on a smaller scale... Dont you have to push a button on the iPhone also to get the unlock screen to show up?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay guys this is starting to get out of hand. Can we please get back on topic about the Apple patent and not go at each other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm sure the mods will agree that this has gone on far enough.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I have typically been avoiding Apple threads on here as of late since I appreciate and own both Android and Apple. The childishness that usually develops out of these threads is typically incomprehensible. Since this was brought to my attention and the turn on the thread, I had to stick my head in. At this point, I will say this. Bring the discussion back on point. Stop the childish posts and personal attacks. There is no call for any of that. Should it continue, this thread won't simply be closed, but there will be vacations issued also. Now please go back to having an adult discussion or debate, but stop the personal attacks and stupid posts.

sb1831

Reaction score
Okay guys this is starting to get out of hand. Can we please get back on topic about the Apple patent and not go at each other. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I'm sure the mods will agree that this has gone on far enough.

OK
This is my bottom line. Some companies have had people patenting the code their little helper monkeys knocked out for years. They had the fore site to say "Hey this is good. Someone else might try to use it so I need to protect my IP and patent it." Good for them they put the money in the R&D and SHOULD protect their creations. If your product is good enough sooner or later someone will mimic it or blatantly try to rip it off

I'm a bit older and have a seen quite a few cell phones in my days. I honestly could not think of a single phone that had a touch screen which was used extensively let alone to unlock the phone prior to iOS. It's not the fact that they're unlocking a phone with their finger. It's the fact that the UI is intuitive. My 6 year old nephew can pick up my sisters cell phone and because he can read unlock and access that phone. Almost anyone whether or not they knew how to before hand walk into a store pick up that phone and unlock it. A person that can read but has never used a cell phone before can unlock the phone. It's that simple. But it's also so simple that it can't be done while it's inside your pants pocket. That sounds pretty genius and patent worthy IMO.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK
This is my bottom line. Some companies have had people patenting the code their little helper monkeys knocked out for years. They had the fore site to say "Hey this is good. Someone else might try to use it so I need to protect my IP and patent it." Good for them they put the money in the R&D and SHOULD protect their creations. If your product is good enough sooner or later someone will mimic it or blatantly try to rip it off

I'm a bit older and have a seen quite a few cell phones in my days. I honestly could not think of a single phone that had a touch screen which was used extensively let alone to unlock the phone prior to iOS. It's not the fact that they're unlocking a phone with their finger. It's the fact that the UI is intuitive. My 6 year old nephew can pick up my sisters cell phone and because he can read unlock and access that phone. Almost anyone whether or not they knew how to before hand walk into a store pick up that phone and unlock it. A person that can read but has never used a cell phone before can unlock the phone. It's that simple. But it's also so simple that it can't be done while it's inside your pants pocket. That sounds pretty genius and patent worthy IMO.

Which is why the patent should not have been award to Apple, and rather given it to the company that invented it. :)

As for this conversation getting out of hand... Is it? I didn't see any cursing, over the top name calling, etc... So some people disagree, so what? It was civil, so threatening to lock the conversation or ban people because we want to create this illusion that this is only a place for positive discussions seems sorta silly. It would be a pretty lame forum if all it was were a few threads with someone saying something and a bunch of "+1" or "I agree" responses, no?