Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

So it seems like you should be mad at the patent office, not Apple. The patent office doesn't just hand these out. Either the other company didn't have a patent, or the patent office ruled Apple's significantly different.
  2. jkhonea

Not being sarcastic, legitimate question, are you familiar with the patent process and what needs to be done to achieve the patent? There has to be a full patent research and review by patent attorneys, the patent office reviews all patents similar, qualifies them and then offers the patents. It's a very in depth and costly process.
  3. Jimbop

Jimbop New Member

I'm not familiar with the patent process, as it is something I have never had to study, but I have a legitimate question. Does the patent process that you describe also take into account technologies similar to it already in place but without patents? This is really what the problem boils down to. If the swipe to unlock feature was not initially patented, are patent lawyers legally obligated to document similar non-patented uses of their patent application?
  4. akhi216

akhi216 Member

So you're saying that maybe designers of the Neonode N1m didn't patent slide-to-unlock either because they didn't have the money to do so or they considered it as generic (which IMO it is) thus feeling that it was unncessary to do so, and Apple took advantage of this and applied for the patent the first day that the Neonode N1m was released and went on to get HTC and Motorola tied up in legal disputes that involve them having this would-be ill-gotten patent pending. That would make this...

...somewhat invalid since no likes a corporate bully,

OR you're saying maybe the designers of the Neonode N1m did in fact patent a slide-to-unlock technique and Apple got their slide-to-unlock patent deemed not similar to the one that the designers of the Neonode N1m patented; the improbability of this happening is extremely high considering this...

...unless Apple managed to pull some strings with money, which would make this...

...again somewhat invalid since no one likes a corporate bully

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  5. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

That issue had already been argued earlier in this thread and others. Regardless of the patent system, for Apple to try and take advantage of a situation that they knew to be questionable is still not okay. I think that we would likely all agree that though what many of the banks and real estate companies did before the financial collapse was legal, it wasn't ethical. This may in no way be to that level, but Apples lawsuits over the years have become commonplace and often unjustified.
  6. jkhonea

If Apple's lawsuits are unethical, so are all of the other hundreds running currently between all the corporations of the world. Again, quite simply, Apple ain't the only one. This is commonplace for all corporations. It's just the "in" thing of the media to target Apple's exposure now.

As far as the patent process, for technology it is definitely broken. But again, Apple isn't the only one taking advantage of it, all corporations are. You are just seeing Apple's more than others because they are in the media eye.
  7. jkhonea

I absolutely can't wait to try the facial unlock. That is cool. And the more I watch and videos are released, it seems like it is actually rather fast.​
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  8. Jerrod6

Jerrod6 New Member

I haven't read all of the nine screens of this thread so pardon me if I am repeating something. After seeing demos of ICS all that seems to be needed is to change slide to unlock to PUSH to unlock. Google needs to keep and patent the "slide to use the Camera" and the facial recognition to unlock.
  9. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to be interested in every unethical business decision made. We're all interested in this because it deals with a product that we enjoy the use of. Just the nature of the beast.
  10. akhi216

akhi216 Member

This.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

apples touch slide gesture patent versus neonode