Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Apparently, the US Patent & Trademark Office recently granted the "slide-to-unlock" patent to Apple. This could potentially portend a slew of new lawsuits from Apple against Android manufacturers, especially since so many Android devices use this type of unlock system. It's important to note that this patent was actually applied for back in 2005, so it's not something Apple was being a sneaky about. Here's a tidbit from the patent,
    The folks credited for the invention are iOS chief, Scott Forstall and Apple engineers Imran Chaudhri, Bas Ording, Freddy Allen Anzures, Marcel Van Os, Stephen O. Lemay and Greg Christie. At this point, it is unknown as to whether the new unlock mechanism in Android 4.0/ICS will be impacted by this, but we will keep you informed as things develop.

Source: Android.net via 9to5Mac
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Heywood

Heywood New Member

Bummer:(
  3. dlcramer

dlcramer New Member

I dont slide to "unlock". I slide to access my keypad to unlock ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Since ICS implemented the new Facial unlock i don't think this is a big deal for Andy.. :icon_ lala:
  5. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 Member

This is complete BS. I just say WTF!!! Reading the description would leave me to believe Pattern unlock would be separate.
  6. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Except it was invented back in 2002 not by Apple.

From Appleinsider and also Android Central:

Despite ordering a preliminary injunction against sales of three Samsung smartphones on this week, a Dutch judge dismissed Apple’s "slide-to-unlock" patent as "not inventive," and therefore likely invalid.

Samsung's Galaxy S II, the Galaxy S and the Galaxy S Ace were found this week in a preliminary ruling to have infringed on a patent related to "flicking" or "bouncing" of photos. But that's just one patent out of the ten patents asserted by Apple against Samsung in the Netherlands trial.

Out of these unsuccessful infringement allegations, one stand-out is U.S. Patent No. 7,657,849, or the "slide-to-unlock" patent. That very same invention happens to be part of other Apple legal disputes with HTC and Motorola.

But the European counterpart of the slide-to-unlock patent has been found to be "obvious (as compared to prior art presented by Samsung) and therefore invalid," according to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents.

Samsung showed the court a previous European Windows CE handset design, the Neonode N1m, manufactured by a Swedish company in 2005 before Dec. 23, which is date when Apple filed for the slide-to-unlock patent. In light of this evidence. the Dutch judge concluded that Apple's patent claims are "not inventive," as in this case as the Neonode N1m “already implemented the entirety of Apple’s claimed invention,” Mueller said
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  7. akhi216

akhi216 Member

That's CrApple for you: borrow someone else's idea then patent it with the screwed up patent system.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  8. GuiltyBreak

GuiltyBreak Member

wow whats next ... some how apple will have some patent out there for flip open phones
  9. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

This has to be one of the most frivolous lawsuits I ever heard of. It's like trying to patent 'opening a door'.
  10. akhi216

akhi216 Member

Yeah the next thing you know they'll be trying to trademark use of the word Apple.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  11. ezizzle95

ezizzle95 New Member

This is a perfect example of a company thats aware of its future and is doing everything they can to hold on. I wish these "patent" battles were more mainstream so everyday apple users could see how pathetic their beloved electronics company is, they can't compete so there going to make problems where they can.
  12. lonndoggie

lonndoggie New Member

13. SoDroid

SoDroid Member

I don't understand how Apple can sue based on an arbitrary finger gesture and Google isn't suing Apple for stealing the notification bar. That seems like a much more specific UI aesthetic. Google or Samsung needs to patent the facial recognition to unlock, and unlock pattern if possible and the fingerprint to unlock from the Atrix. This is getting beyond ridiculous. And someone please sue Apple for theft of the notification bar!
  14. sparty569

sparty569 New Member

If forced to, cant Android switch to the Pull down to unlock, like MIUI uses? Or the, what I think is stupid, fit the puzzle piece into it's place to unlock?
  15. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

i believe RIM invented that

remember steve jobs did say this is the year of the copy cat except if anybody copies apple im gonna rip their face off
  16. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

I'm sorry but how is it Apple's fault for being rewarded a patent?????? There is such a complete lack of understanding of how the patent system works here, it's really not even funny.
  17. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

im not saying its apples fault it is the us patent system and the board who approves such ingenious ideas for patents apple is being rewarded for it kinda makes me think about applying for a few patents maybe i will get lucky
  18. OneTenderRebel

Exactly! The tech patent system is so royally screwed up that patents are given all the time for incredibly stupid things. Apple is smart enough to take advantage and make money off of their stupidity. Android is not above this reproach, hence Google buying Moto, when that finally goes through you can guarantee Google will shell out some lawsuits of their own, and rightfully so.
  19. OneTenderRebel

I will say this, reading some of the excerpts from the Jobs biography it was clear he had a pretty unhealthy hatred of Android and Bill Gates, I wonder if the lawsuits will die down after the current ones are settled. Be interesting to see if Apple moves on or carries on business as usual.
  20. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

Maybe because they took someone else's invention and patented it as their own. Isn't Jobs' hatred of Android the fact that he claims it is "stolen"? Apart from it being hard to steal a free open source OS... isn't taking someone else's invention and patenting it as your own considered stealing?

Sort of like me patenting the right mouse click and then trying to sue everyone, using the legal system for a revenue stream...
Search tags for this page

apples touch slide gesture patent versus neonode