Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Beardface

Beardface Member

It would be an issue with previous designs of Android, and possibly still an issue with Blur, but with some of the other makers, I'm not sure its an issue. With facial recognition unlock, fingerprint unlock, and the HTC Sense 3.0 disk, this shouldn't be that big a deal going forward.

Nothing to really freak out over. Put down the gun and step away from the edge.
  2. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Well they trademarked the phrase (which I have to change or I could get sued) there's um... an... um app... um for... um that...
    :r_c:
  3. cturcotte224

cturcotte224 New Member

Apple tried something like that already. Remember the App Store trademark fight?

Did Apple just become a patent troll?- MSN Money
  4. akhi216

akhi216 Member

I guess that's what happens when a tyrant (Knob Jobs) is on his deathbed and can sense that he only has so many months/years to live. The one that got me was the Amazon legal battle over use of the generic term Appstore. I can only imagine that Apple felt that the App in Apple was used unfairly after having one too many drinks...pathetic.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  5. jseah

jseah New Member

Like how Apple sued Microsoft for stealing the GUI when Apple stole it themselves from Xerox.
  6. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

Bingo. It just irritates me the way Apple fans spent years berating Microsoft for things, and now fight tooth and nail to the death to defend Apple doing all the things that they claimed they were against.

It just comes down to someone finally beating Jobs at his own game, and Jobs being arrogant and insecure, couldn't deal with it.
  7. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

What's next? Patenting which finger you can use to make that unlocking gesture? Not to speak ill of the dead, but Jobs always got so bent over Android "stealing" his technologies after building his empire based on a large part of technology he stole from other people. What a hypocrite!
  8. SquireSCA

I wonder what technologies did Android steal from Apple? Smartphones were already on the market before Apple... Internet, multimedia, etc... Touch screens... The only thing that Apple really added was the app store. Ok, so a centralized location to get apps, rather than Windows mobile phones or blackberry's just downloading a file from the web and installing it.

But the notion of an app store wasn't new, it was just the first time it was used in a mobile device. On the desktop, Linspire had an app store built into the Linux OS that they sold, where you could download apps, search, basically exactly what the Appstore and App Market are, click to install, and it would download and install the packages for you. Apple just did it on a smart phone, but it wasn't a new concept to distribute software that he invented.

And now, iOS 5 has copied most of Android's features... So who is stealing from who?
  9. g_what

g_what Member

How were they granted this patent? Its intuitive and widely used already. Both of those facts should prevent them from receiving this.
  10. SquireSCA

Especially when they were denied a European patent because someone else had already invented it and used it before Apple. I would audit the judge and see what computers he owns, or who contributed to his last election. LOL
  11. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

All the other companies have to do is prove this simple gesture was used before Apple "invented" it and the patent becomes invalid. I really don't see this being an issue at all.
  12. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

What's "flicking" or "bouncing" of photos? Sounds like fun.
  13. steveninspokane

steveninspokane Member

If fruits could sue, Apple would be in big trouble.
  14. SquireSCA

The issue is that Saint Apple even does this stuff and wastes tax payer dollars tying up courts with this nonsense. If they took the tens of millions that they allocate to their Legal Stormtrooper division and invested it in R&D, they might retake some of the lost ground in the phone market...
  15. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Like I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where Apple goes from here with the new CEO, will he carry on Jobs' vendetta or move on. I don't think all the lawsuits are just Jobs being pissed but after reading some of the Isaacson book on Jobs, it is a bit clearer how much he hated Android and most competition.
  16. SquireSCA

He loved competition so long as he was winning. As soon as the scale tips and he starts losing, he is a man that cannot handle it.

Without that lunatic at the helm, it will be interesting to see where they go. Maybe they will get back to making new exciting products again...
  17. sb1831

sb1831 Member

It appears the hypocrisy of this forum knows no bounds. Really? Complain because a company had the fore site to protect their IP 6 years ago? It's totally justified to complain if someone take a rom themes it and calls it their own, but it's not ok to complain if they only use a small part of your UI? Which is it?
  18. SquireSCA

Apple patented SOMEONE ELSE'S IP. Another handset already had this feature on a phone. Apple took someone else's feature, and filled out a patent application for it and submitted it as their own.

It wasn't about protecting their IP six years ago, it was about them using the flawed patent laws to "legally" steal someone else's IP six years ago.

Big difference.
  19. akhi216

akhi216 Member

This.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  20. Insidious

Insidious New Member

I feel that this patent is too vague and should be revoked. Just ridiculous how companies have to rely on patents to get ahead instead true innovation. This is why I switched from iOS!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

apples touch slide gesture patent versus neonode