Apple Granted Slide-to-Unlock Screen Patent; Potentially Grim News for Android

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SoDroid

SoDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand how Apple can sue based on an arbitrary finger gesture and Google isn't suing Apple for stealing the notification bar. That seems like a much more specific UI aesthetic. Google or Samsung needs to patent the facial recognition to unlock, and unlock pattern if possible and the fingerprint to unlock from the Atrix. This is getting beyond ridiculous. And someone please sue Apple for theft of the notification bar!

2. sparty569

sparty569 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If forced to, cant Android switch to the Pull down to unlock, like MIUI uses? Or the, what I think is stupid, fit the puzzle piece into it's place to unlock?

3. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +6
    i believe RIM invented that

remember steve jobs did say this is the year of the copy cat except if anybody copies apple im gonna rip their face off

4. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel Silver Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I'm sorry but how is it Apple's fault for being rewarded a patent?????? There is such a complete lack of understanding of how the patent system works here, it's really not even funny.

5. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +6
    im not saying its apples fault it is the us patent system and the board who approves such ingenious ideas for patents apple is being rewarded for it kinda makes me think about applying for a few patents maybe i will get lucky

6. OneTenderRebel

Ratings:
    +64
    Exactly! The tech patent system is so royally screwed up that patents are given all the time for incredibly stupid things. Apple is smart enough to take advantage and make money off of their stupidity. Android is not above this reproach, hence Google buying Moto, when that finally goes through you can guarantee Google will shell out some lawsuits of their own, and rightfully so.

7. OneTenderRebel

Ratings:
    +64
    I will say this, reading some of the excerpts from the Jobs biography it was clear he had a pretty unhealthy hatred of Android and Bill Gates, I wonder if the lawsuits will die down after the current ones are settled. Be interesting to see if Apple moves on or carries on business as usual.

8. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Silver Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Maybe because they took someone else's invention and patented it as their own. Isn't Jobs' hatred of Android the fact that he claims it is "stolen"? Apart from it being hard to steal a free open source OS... isn't taking someone else's invention and patenting it as your own considered stealing?

Sort of like me patenting the right mouse click and then trying to sue everyone, using the legal system for a revenue stream...

9. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +61
    It would be an issue with previous designs of Android, and possibly still an issue with Blur, but with some of the other makers, I'm not sure its an issue. With facial recognition unlock, fingerprint unlock, and the HTC Sense 3.0 disk, this shouldn't be that big a deal going forward.

Nothing to really freak out over. Put down the gun and step away from the edge.

10. debdroid1a

debdroid1a Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Well they trademarked the phrase (which I have to change or I could get sued) there's um... an... um app... um for... um that...
    :r_c:

11. cturcotte224

cturcotte224 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Apple tried something like that already. Remember the App Store trademark fight?

Did Apple just become a patent troll?- MSN Money

12. akhi216

akhi216 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess that's what happens when a tyrant (Knob Jobs) is on his deathbed and can sense that he only has so many months/years to live. The one that got me was the Amazon legal battle over use of the generic term Appstore. I can only imagine that Apple felt that the App in Apple was used unfairly after having one too many drinks...pathetic.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Search tags for this page

apples touch slide gesture patent versus neonode