1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

App. that can control light switches in your house?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by BlumpkinsFasho, Mar 23, 2010.

1. BlumpkinsFasho

BlumpkinsFasho New Member

I saw that the Iphone has an app. for that on a commercial, does the droid or will the droid come out with an app. like that?
    :icon_ banana:
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

that would be pretty sweet. idk how it would control the lights though?
    whats the iphone app called?
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

iphone has been advertising that alot; That would be cool to get it on the droid.
  4. BlumpkinsFasho

BlumpkinsFasho New Member

im not sure, but its in a commercial for the iphone, it looks pretty sick
  5. HermitObserver

HermitObserver New Member

You have to have your light wired to an outlet,not a switch, unless your a beast at wiring. Then a wireless receiver goes between the outlet and the light plug. When you hit the control on your phone, the receiver cuts off the connection between plug and outlet.
  6. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

I've seen the commercial and it does look cool, but like Hermit said, I would have to imagine it'd be way more complicated than just installing an app.
  7. Technoman

Technoman New Member

This is a system that you have to purchase and attached 110V devices to. That would include lamp modules, small appliances, and such.

I believe that there is an app that does this, if I remember correctly.
  8. codemonkey2k5

codemonkey2k5 New Member

Hi folks so let me explain how that works. I install home automation systems. The tech that you are looking for is Insteon, Zwave, UPB or X10 (please do not use x10 unless you have to as it is crap!

I recommend Insteon. www.smarthome.com
    You can buy plug in modules or hard wired switches. There is sofware out there that can control those modules. Some of these programs have a web portal.
    There is your way in! Check out the link above. There is much to see!!!

Enjoy!
  9. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

nice, whats the cheapest one of these would go for? And could it be used through a web browser alone, since there is no app for android as of yet
  10. codemonkey2k5

codemonkey2k5 New Member

Prices very quite a bit. Software and hardware you are looking at a couple hundred bucks initially. If the software has a web portal then you can use the web browser alone. I do that right now with my software. I use www.automatedliving.com HAL software to control my house. The web portal isnt pefect but it works. My System can control every light in the house, sprinklers, garagedoor, HVAC and Multimedia. I probably have about 3k invested. But it is soooo worth it.

I stronly recommend that you go to:
    www.smarthome.com (Look in the Insteon section)
    and www.automatedliving.com (make sure to look through the forums You will see me in there) and do a lot of reading.

CM
  11. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

Fwiw, I read somewhere that the app shown in the commercial is tied into a security company (I don't recall the name). I know that multiple home security companies can control your homes lights, stove, etc... If someone has one of these systems have they looked into it? Maybe from ADT or Brinks? Just a thought
  12. takeshi

takeshi New Member

13. ipawd1

ipawd1 New Member

People are getting too lazy. People think they live like the Jetsons lol
  14. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

I saw an app commercial for iphone yeterday that lets you turn on your bath to a certain temp and stop at a certain level.. seems like alot of installation work would have to be done just to do this lol
  15. acturbo

acturbo New Member

We got a pair of plug in modules and a controller on clearance just last year for around $40. This was a steal because I cant even buy another module for less than that currently. Its all RF and works really well, I use it only in the family room to dim the lights for movies and turn lights on/off in family room. I cant remember the brand but I know its not X10, I wanna say its Zwave. Would be cool to have controls through the phone =).
  16. mpenda

mpenda New Member

There's another control system called "z-wave". It works differently than Insteon, and is more reliable. You can use a controller like Vera (from micasaverde.com) to control the devices. Its a wireless router/controller (very low power consumption). Vera can control lights, locks, heat, A/C, blinds, etc. and there's an iPhone app and a Droid app (Home Buddy).
  17. codemonkey2k5

codemonkey2k5 New Member

Yep theres Zwave, but unfortunatly it's creater Zigby is not doing so well. Insteon now has the same Mesh network as Zwave and it is less than half the cost. It also has about 30 times as many different modules to choose from including wireless occupancy sensors (to turn lights on and off when you enter a room or trigger events like "I See you are home, let me play your voice messages for you").

Check this out: SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller - Smarthome Yah it shows an Iphone but it is for web enabled phones.

I don't use this, I use HAL by Automated Living, there is also HomeSeer but I am not a fan of that software.

Regards,
    CM
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  18. DavesDroid

DavesDroid New Member

There was a post that stated x-10 was crap. I would like to refute that claim. I have been using x-10 very successfully for about 15 years. I'm using a home base controller and yes, I may have a off / on failure once every 3-4 months but I'm very happy with it. Insteon may be it's successor but it's extremely expensive in my opinion. For what the post is worth.
  19. lhfarm

lhfarm New Member

I am a fan of and user of HomeSeer (www.homeseer.com) since the early 90s. There is an app in the Marketplace called DroidSeer that works through HomeSeer directly (i.e. not through the Web). But as codemonkey2k5 points out, there are lots of hardware and software options out there. You can spend a few hundred bucks or thousands.

I've use home automation to run/monitor a weekend home since the late 80s. Sort of like having a Droid - you don't know how you ever lived without it.

Barry
  20. codemonkey2k5

codemonkey2k5 New Member

X10 works fine for some. I used it for years, but when it starts to go bad, it goes really bad. The bigest problem is that it is way more suseptable to environmental issues or your neighbor using x10 (yes filters can fix that issue).

The best advice is to do your homework. Different things work for different people.
    The few false on/offs depending on what they contol can be a real problem. Say for instance your garage door. The newer tech doesnt have that issue.

Hey Berry, I totally agree! Life would now seem empty and quite primitive without my automation. I didnt know that HomeSeer had a droid app out. Thats cool. The Automated living folks are working on one for Hal now.

CM
Search tags for this page
android app to control ceiling fan
android controlled outlet
android controlled receptacle
control light switch with phone
control lights from android phone

control lights with android phone

control lights with phone

control outlet with android
control outlets with android
how to control lights from phone