App. that can control light switches in your house?

BlumpkinsFasho

Reaction score
I saw that the Iphone has an app. for that on a commercial, does the droid or will the droid come out with an app. like that?
:icon_ banana:

tktouch12

Reaction score
that would be pretty sweet. idk how it would control the lights though?
whats the iphone app called?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
iphone has been advertising that alot; That would be cool to get it on the droid.

OP
BlumpkinsFasho

BlumpkinsFasho

Reaction score
im not sure, but its in a commercial for the iphone, it looks pretty sick

Reaction score
You have to have your light wired to an outlet,not a switch, unless your a beast at wiring. Then a wireless receiver goes between the outlet and the light plug. When you hit the control on your phone, the receiver cuts off the connection between plug and outlet.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I've seen the commercial and it does look cool, but like Hermit said, I would have to imagine it'd be way more complicated than just installing an app.

Technoman

Reaction score
I've seen the commercial and it does look cool, but like Hermit said, I would have to imagine it'd be way more complicated than just installing an app.

This is a system that you have to purchase and attached 110V devices to. That would include lamp modules, small appliances, and such.

I believe that there is an app that does this, if I remember correctly.

codemonkey2k5

Reaction score
Hi folks so let me explain how that works. I install home automation systems. The tech that you are looking for is Insteon, Zwave, UPB or X10 (please do not use x10 unless you have to as it is crap!

I recommend Insteon. www.smarthome.com
You can buy plug in modules or hard wired switches. There is sofware out there that can control those modules. Some of these programs have a web portal.
There is your way in! Check out the link above. There is much to see!!!

Enjoy!

pyro6128

Reaction score
nice, whats the cheapest one of these would go for? And could it be used through a web browser alone, since there is no app for android as of yet

codemonkey2k5

Reaction score
Prices very quite a bit. Software and hardware you are looking at a couple hundred bucks initially. If the software has a web portal then you can use the web browser alone. I do that right now with my software. I use www.automatedliving.com HAL software to control my house. The web portal isnt pefect but it works. My System can control every light in the house, sprinklers, garagedoor, HVAC and Multimedia. I probably have about 3k invested. But it is soooo worth it.

I stronly recommend that you go to:
www.smarthome.com (Look in the Insteon section)
and www.automatedliving.com (make sure to look through the forums You will see me in there) and do a lot of reading.

CM

kaboyd

Reaction score
Fwiw, I read somewhere that the app shown in the commercial is tied into a security company (I don't recall the name). I know that multiple home security companies can control your homes lights, stove, etc... If someone has one of these systems have they looked into it? Maybe from ADT or Brinks? Just a thought

ipawd1

Reaction score
People are getting too lazy. People think they live like the Jetsons lol

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I saw an app commercial for iphone yeterday that lets you turn on your bath to a certain temp and stop at a certain level.. seems like alot of installation work would have to be done just to do this lol

acturbo

Reaction score
nice, whats the cheapest one of these would go for? And could it be used through a web browser alone, since there is no app for android as of yet

We got a pair of plug in modules and a controller on clearance just last year for around $40. This was a steal because I cant even buy another module for less than that currently. Its all RF and works really well, I use it only in the family room to dim the lights for movies and turn lights on/off in family room. I cant remember the brand but I know its not X10, I wanna say its Zwave. Would be cool to have controls through the phone =).