App size/complexity question

shane1v

Reaction score
I read that the Droid can only have apps of up to a certain size and therefore complexity due to only having 256MB to use for this purpose where the iPhone can have much more complex(better?) apps because it can use it's entire memory for an app...
Can someone that knows plz elaborate on this?
Why would the Droid limit itself this way? Pros and cons for this design, etc...

LordKastle

Reaction score
People will begin to think you are a troll if all your posts continuously seem to have a negative tone to them. Remember this with an iPhone the internal storage is larger but there is no way for any external storage and swapping of data.

It will be irrelevant for most apps as you can't name me on a hand apps for a phone that should take up so much data space. I think it would effect games more so then regular apps (and very few at that). It is true that that the Droid is limited in its internal storage. It has the SD storage card that allows you to store other things though. Sooner or later there will be a way to have Apps 2 SD which will allow for the few, rare, huge programs to run without any problems. It makes the coding a little bit more complex now but developers can handle it fine.

Like I said, an iPhone cannot swap out memory. You are stuck just with the internal memory. With a Droid you can store movies on a SD and other HUGE data files and still be able to swap it out with another SD so you will never be at a shortage. With an iPhone you are limited. So both sides have their negatives and positives.

For me I can see myself taking advantage more of the SD storage rather than needing a larger amount of internal storage. For the reasons I just said.

Last edited:
OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
People will begin to think you are a troll if all your posts continuously seem to have a negative tone to them. Remember this with an iPhone the internal storage is larger but there is no way for any external storage and swapping of data.

It will be irrelevant for most apps as you can't name me on a hand apps for a phone that should take up so much data space. I think it would effect games more so then regular apps (and very few at that). It is true that that the Droid is limited in its internal storage. It has the SD storage card that allows you to store other things though. Sooner or later there will be a way to have Apps 2 SD which will allow for the few, rare, huge programs to run without any problems. It makes the coding a little bit more complex now but developers can handle it fine.

Like I said, an iPhone cannot swap out memory. You are stuck just with the internal memory. With a Droid you can store movies on a SD and other HUGE data files and still be able to swap it out with another SD so you will never be at a shortage. With an iPhone you are limited. So both sides have their negatives and positives.

For me I can see myself taking advantage more of the SD storage rather than needing a lager amount of internal storage. For the reasons I just said.

Troll? What the hell are you talking about?
I like my Droid a lot but I have questions. I air them here. Do I need to post the things I love FIRST? I wasn't bashing so don't be so sensitive. Thanks for the info.

LordKastle

Reaction score
LOL If I thought you were really a troll would I have posted a response? No.

OP
S

shane1v

Reaction score
LOL If I thought you were really a troll would I have posted a response? No.

How would I know?- I don't know you at all. and I'm really not versed on troll protocol.

Anyhoo... Lets be bestest friends now!

Any more info or opinions on the this subject are welcome.
Thanks!

Evie

Reaction score
So what exactly do you use the SD card for??

Please don't crucify me here...just a girl with a question... :]

I am not really a techie person or anything remotely close to qualify me to know **** about these things. I would like to buy the Droid for the holiday this year and when I read about the storage space it kind of bummed me out. How is this possible? I thought the apps and storage for apps was a huge part of competing with the iphone, no?

I was browsing this page that I guess acts as a preview or something of the Android Market and I saw an app that claims it allows you to back up apps along with other info like contacts, etc. onto the sd card...
Android Market
http://www.rerware.com/MyBackup/default.aspx

So you see I'm confused. Can you or can you not back apps onto the sd card? Is somebody lying? lol

Anyway...so if the apps cannot be stored onto the sd card then what the hell is it for?? Specifically?
:confused:
I guess I Wouldn't mind swapping sd cards (even though that is kind of annoying) if I knew the internal memory wouldn't be affected and that I could somehow separate apps from memory storage for other things...does that make sense?

Please...help me. :)

Last edited:

Evie

Reaction score
I really don't want to have to wait until they add more internal memory. My plan runs out very soon and I need a new one in December!! :\

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really don't want to have to wait until they add more internal memory. My plan runs out very soon and I need a new one in December!! :\

Ok the main app storage space is 256MB, this is more then enough space for most people. Most apps are in the range of 100-750KB. So you could roughly put 256 apps on there, because there are some that are over 1MB. What some people are saying is that you can't make complex apps because there isn't enough space. There is a 16GB data card inside the droid. App developers can take advantage of that, big and fancy apps don't have to have their data residing on the same storage space, while the main part of the app does require to stay on that 256MB, the data does not.

They won't be adding more internal memory. You can however buy a bigger micro SD card once they come out. That will double the amount of space available for data to be stored for apps.

evie said:
I guess I Wouldn't mind swapping sd cards (even though that is kind of annoying) if I knew the internal memory wouldn't be affected and that I could somehow separate apps from memory storage for other things...does that make sense?

This however is not possible. Because you cannot fully install apps to the SD, swapping the cards would make those programs installed with data on the sd card to not operate correctly. They are however in the works of getting "apps2sd" working correcrtly and in the way that google / verizon or whoever else is involved, wants it to be. (They just don't want to have alot of piracy issues)

Last edited: