Google Now Has Evolved Further; Can Now Answer Even More Complex Questions

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-app-search-upgrade.jpg

"The system goes online August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug." ~ Arnold Schwarzeneggar as The Terminator in the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day

While the above quote is a gloom and doom scenario from an entertaining sci-fi movie, the reality is that our current "AI" systems are a far cry from self awareness. Despite that, the most used "digital assistants" keep getting better. Siri, Cortana, Alexa and Google Now are constantly improved by their respective designers.

For the most part Google Now still remains the top dog as far as usability and capabilities area concerned. It might not have the same lively personality as its competitors, but it is much more effective at offering up the information and data that we crave. With Google's latest improvement/enhancement, it has become even better.

According to the latest reveal straight from Google's engineers, the Google Search app can now understand and respond to complex questions that it couldn't before. It is even beginning to understand the intent of the person asking the question, as well as the meaning behind the question. This includes some of the following complex linguistics examples:
  • Superlatives (tallest, largest, etc.)
  • Ordered items (“Who are the tallest Mavericks players?”)
  • Points in time (“What songs did Taylor Swift record in 2014?”)
  • Complex combinations (“What was the U.S. population when Bernie Sanders was born?”)
With each new improvement, Google Now gets that much closer to being able to understand questions as if we were asking another human being instead of just a machine. Who knows if any of the various AI digital assistants will ever truly achieve sentience, but one thing is for sure: they keep getting more and more useful as they continue to evolve. For now, Google Now is still the top dog in capabilities and language comprehension, and it has only pulled further ahead of the competition.

Source: GoogleBlog

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I wonder if skynet will get apple users with extreme prejudice... Lol..will it spare Android users?? Lol

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Skynet will only spare Windows Phone users, as it will see no threat.

:p

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wasn't aware Google now could turn off/on WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wasn't aware Google now could turn off/on WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.
It can't seem to do so from my watch though. I get search results for wifi when I try it from my watch. Maybe I'm not saying it right, but that'd be handy to not have to take the phone out to toggle it.

I used Wear Mini Launcher for a while and that had wifi and volume toggles, but that's pretty much all I used that app for, so I abandoned it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Resistance is futile...hmm..cybernetic chip transplants for all!!! Who needs a phone!! Wait..what happens when your processor burns out?? Do we have to buy our own warranty?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It can't seem to do so from my watch though. I get search results for wifi when I try it from my watch. Maybe I'm not saying it right, but that'd be handy to not have to take the phone out to toggle it.

I used Wear Mini Launcher for a while and that had wifi and volume toggles, but that's pretty much all I used that app for, so I abandoned it.
From my home screen:

OK Google turn on WiFi
OK Google turn off wifi

OK Google turn on Bluetooth
OK Google turn off Bluetooth

Works like a charm.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
From my home screen:

OK Google turn on WiFi
OK Google turn off wifi

OK Google turn on Bluetooth
OK Google turn off Bluetooth

Works like a charm.
That works on my phone, but when I say those things into my watch, no dice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
and suddenly my navigate to command isn't working anymore... I used to be able to say, navigate home navigate to work, navigate to school and BAM it would... now I have to click on the maps tab after telling it to.

maybe something is just messed up.