App/Data/Configs Migration from Bionic to Other New Android?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Hi. I will say right off the top that I am sorry that I have not even done a bit of searching yet.
So, I will take whatever lecture you want to give me on that. I am guilty and I deserve it.

However, I'm just about to go to sleep, have very little time before I have to do this, and if there's anyone that's willing to help, I would appreciate it...

I currently have a Bionic. I don't hate it, but since I have the option to return it and get something different, and since there are at least two other options (Nexus and Razr) available to me right now, I figure I might as well give it a shot (given the fact that I have had some problems, some of which continue, with my Bionic, and I don't feel bad about moving on to a different device if that should happen).

Now, I know that I won't be able to get EVERYTHING, but I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to help point out how to do whatever is the most I could do in the area of transferring things, the way they are, from my Bionic to whichever new phone I end up with.

I know about a few different app backup tools, and have tried them. I know about a couple other tools for backing up and restoring txt msg history and phone call history, etc.

I also know there are some tools available to rooted users (I'm not rooted yet, but would do that if it would make what I' looking to do here possible) that enable a more complete type of backup.

Can you suggest a route that you think I should take to transfer stuff from my Bionic to the new phone?
Again, I know that I won't be able to do this fully with everything. I will still have to reconfigure a number of things, etc. I'm just looking to get a plan in place to migrate whatever I can migrate (I mean, where it can be done automatically/programatically instead of having to reenter it all manually).

Any ideas?

p.s. Oh....could you also point me to a thread that you think will help push me over the edge on either getting the Nexus or the Razr? I have read all kinds of review on them, comparing them with the Bionic and the iPhone, etc, but I'm still not sure. I know....I just need to make up my mind and choose one and see how it goes. I will......I'm just open to your input about it too...

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
I do not need help with my e-mail, contacts or calendar data.
I'm only talking about apps, app data, system configuration settings, etc (to whatever degree possible...even if you say none is possible...just trying to get a feel for what I can do here).

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I do not need help with my e-mail, contacts or calendar data.
I'm only talking about apps, app data, system configuration settings, etc (to whatever degree possible...even if you say none is possible...just trying to get a feel for what I can do here).

well you're actually talking about 2 separate issues...
first as far as apps and days go ,"my backup" for free for 30 days...
system data can be rather tricky especially if you're flipping ROM's and I'd probably best avoided.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
well you're actually talking about 2 separate issues...
first as far as apps and days go ,"my backup" for free for 30 days...
system data can be rather tricky especially if you're flipping ROM's and I'd probably best avoided.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thank you.
I will download My Backup and give it a try.

As for the rest, if it's not too complex, I could handle it. Even though I'm a noob to Android, I'm actually an IT person, and somewhat familiar with Linux.
Is there any chance for me on that part?

I guess....I should ask this as well...
So, IF I were to go the route of getting more complex with this migration idea than jus tthe 'My Backup' route, would that mean that I would need to root my phone first? If so, I have no problem with that. I'm just trying to get a sense for what's all involved in this kind of migration process.

Sorry to ask so many questions.
Is there a thread here regarding migrating (fully....or, I mean, as fully as possible) from one late-model Android to another?

Last edited: