migrating from droid to droid 2

cheers007

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am a very happy owner of the Droid 1, but am now interested in purchasing the Droid 2 R2D2 edition (even though I'm more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars fan, but that's another story). I keep reading of this Motoblur thing that is nested into these phones (which correct me if I'm wrong but it has to do with all social networking updates in one place) and I don't do the social networking thing.

My couple of questions:

1. Is the phone still usable without using Motoblur or does it really get in the way?

2. Is there an easy migration path from Droid 1 to Droid 2? What I mean by migration is all apps, settings, text, etc.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motoblur is the user interface and the motorola widgets. The Droid has vanilla android with no added UI present. Where as the X and the 2 have motoblur.
You could get the D2 and root it with z4root in the market, which is a free one click rooting app and then in stall a Blur-less rom.

All of your contacts, callender events and snails are synced with google. As for app settings and text messages I am not sure if there is an app that will let you backup the settings on one phone and restore them on another. I believe that apps like titanium backup, which requires root access, save the backedup app info to the sdcard. So a sdcard swap and rooting the Droid 2 would be required if that is the case.
FYI : Rooting Voids your Warrenty. But unrooting is easy when using z4root. If you root and unroot it is not detectable.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
cheers007

cheers007

Reaction score
I appreciate the info quicksilver. While I'm in the tech industry very heavily, I actually don't want to root my phone just to keep things simple for myself. The reason I say that is because there is SOO much one can do with a rooted phone that I'll just spend so much time testing and trying things out. I want to just "stay in the box".

Basically, I'm looking for migration solution (if there is any) out of the box.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info quicksilver. While I'm in the tech industry very heavily, I actually don't want to root my phone just to keep things simple for myself. The reason I say that is because there is SOO much one can do with a rooted phone that I'll just spend so much time testing and trying things out. I want to just "stay in the box".

Basically, I'm looking for migration solution (if there is any) out of the box.

No problem, it works great out of the box with the blur. What I did was delete the widgets from the blur and customized my phone the way I wanted it. I didn't actually delete the blur.

One thing you do want to remember is to take the 16gb SD card off your old Droid and put it in the new D2 for added storage. Clear up what you don't want on the 16gb card then make a copy to your desktop. Just in case.

OP
cheers007

cheers007

Reaction score
Hi Hook. Yes that's sound advice to backup the SD stick before moving across. I guess I might be lost on what the blur thing really is. Am I able to remove blur all-together "out of the box" or am I stuck with it?

The widgets shouldn't be a problem to remove because I don't care much for it.