Aosp

bonesjones

Reaction score
Now that were root, is anyone working on a pure android experience yet?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Doubt it. A recovery needs to be made first, and an .sbf needs to be leaked in case an "attempt" at AOSP creates a brick.

Gingerbread source could already be pulled and they may be looking at the proprietaries needed to be pulled from the phone.....but nothing more than that I suspect.

No recovery...no way to flash a new ROM

No .sbf....no way to test, re-test and re-test a ROM before releasing it.

technogeek00

Reaction score
Doubt it. A recovery needs to be made first, and an .sbf needs to be leaked in case an "attempt" at AOSP creates a brick.

Gingerbread source could already be pulled and they may be looking at the proprietaries needed to be pulled from the phone.....but nothing more than that I suspect.

No recovery...no way to flash a new ROM

No .sbf....no way to test, re-test and re-test a ROM before releasing it.

Well technically there has been a leaked SBF though its from china. (see XDA forums)

But yes we are out of luck until we can access the bootloader. We can try and give a vanilla look to the D3, but it may be more of a hassle than waiting until we can flash a vanilla rom.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Don't get me wrong....I would LOVE an AOSP ROM for the Droid 3.

And the leaked .sbf is signed by test keys instead of release keys, so even if it was English it would be of no use.

I just want to make sure that everyone is aware of how much effort it will take and that not all the pieces are in place (or even developed) to allow for an AOSP ROM to be compiled.

Recovery (for installing) and an .sbf (for recovering....LOL) are going to be required before we see ROMs. On top of that...either an unlocked bootloader or a 2nd-init method will need to be found.

Once those are accomplished we can look at pulling the proprietary files from the stock ROM and figuring out how to properly overlay those on a pull of the AOSP Gingerbread branch from Google/Android.

It's going to be a while....and everyone needs to relax and enjoy the phone.....clean it up (bloatware), start looking at replacing some of the stock apps with AOSP versions, etc...

We may see a few edits (where someone creates a script to re-theme the framework and pull stock/push aosp apps to the phone via ADB and such......relatively soon.