AOKP Rom and Maps issue

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by ntrddragn, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I am not sure if its related to the rom or maps but since i flashed the rom (when it came out) I havent gotten a chance to use the map feature until today. When i navigate, it showed me the correct way even the turn by turn movement on the map BUT the voice was telling me something else. And it got stuck, repeating the same thing over and over. I exit the app and restarted it again and its does the same thing. any ideas?

2. GalaxyFlatulence

Ratings:
    +10
    why use Aokp? they've been on build 1 forever. flash jb sourcery, cna, or xenon. much better at this point. more features and no map probs with either.

#2 GalaxyFlatulence, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

AOKP is a great ROM, been running it since release too. Stable, quick, and everything else expected of AOKP.

4. ohioDroid

ohioDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this same problem with Jelly Belly. Go to your Settings, Apps, and clear the cache and Data for Maps. You'll lose your settings but it tends to fix this issue with Maps Navigation.

5. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    thanks fellas...map seems to be fixed now.

6. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    didnt want to start another thread so..
    Dezymod, is your nexus running hot? mine is running pretty hot. I have it set at 1.3 MHZ max and 1.2min, governor = performance, IO scheduler cfq (not sure what is does), and everything else is default from the rom. i tried to set it to 1.2 max but it run hot also.

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    How hot is pretty hot? There are tons of things that could come into play here. Radio issues, app issues, settings issues, issues with ROM/kernel, ambient temperatures....etc

Given the information you have given, I would start with settings. The performance governor locks your device into the max speed at all times. Use a less demanding governor, interactive perhaps, and lower the minimum clock speed and your temperatures should go down and your battery life should go up.

Edit: Ideally you want to use as conservative of a governor as you can stand to use, as it will help save battery. Some governors are a little too conservative for a lot of usage. Interactive is probably the default on most kernels, and is kind of in the middle, leaning more toward performance than battery savings. Kernel devs have made their own tweaks to governors (which I discuss in the thread I linked below), so this may not be entirely true for all kernels. Generally, I think most people would be best with interactive. If you don't care at all about battery life, and your device isn't getting dangerously hot, then performance is fine choice as well.

Your scheduler shouldn't be a problem here, unless the kernel dev has modified it somehow and made it unstable.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-kernels/221485-kernels-cm10.html <-- I made a couple posts there giving a general overview of some of the terminology of kernels, and linked to a couple threads that went into detail about governors and I/O schedulers. If interested those threads (not so much my ramblings) are decent reads, even though they are for another device.

Of course it could be one of many other things too, or perhaps a combination of things.

#7 cupfulloflol, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Nope, never had an issue with my Nexus running hot.

Right now still on AOKP with Franco kernel on 1.3Mhz max and 234mhz min on lazy governor. I'm been doing alot of testing of kernels, governors, and speeds lately and found this to be the best so far (in terms of battery life), though I only made these settings last night. So far it's provided the best battery life and no issues with lag or anything.

And as Cup said, your Nexus running hot may be due to other issues.What kernel are you running? I've had bad luck with Franco in the other times I used it, but so far so good.

9. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    thanks guys. when i say hot is around 123* surfing the web or talking, when its plugged in at night its around 79*, in my pocket its 90ish. I am using the kernel that came with the AOKP rom, i think. I dont remember flashing a separate kernel.

#9 ntrddragn, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  10. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    You're pretty close or even at the temp where there should be some concern, I forget if it's 120 or 125, either way you're close. How long are you surfing the web for and how "heavy" are these sites?

11. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Why do you have your min set so high?...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

12. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    +1

This could be the reason why your phone is running hot. If it's idle state is 1.2ghz that'll drain your battery fast and warm up your pocket quite fast as well.

Search tags for this page
aokp google map issue

aokp google maps gps