Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NOT YET

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

JDOG KINGZ

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
i know they made it really hard to root but anything is possible so has anyone found a way or a exploit that works

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not yet, and not likely any time soon.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I've never rooted. I've heard many people talk about it. What are the advantages? (Even though I do know it is way above my skill set)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've never rooted. I've heard many people talk about it. What are the advantages? (Even though I do know it is way above my skill set)

I'm far from a rooting expert... But most of the time, now days.. It isn't that big of a deal..

I never rooted because I didn't want to mess stuff up.. But rooting now is typically as simple as downloading the file, making sure your pc has the drivers for your device.. Plug in the phone.. Run the software... Watch to make sure the device accepts the software.. Then installing some apps like sqlite... And tibu..thia isn't always though..

Rooting years ago was way more involved...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The main reasons people rooted back in the day were so they could receive OS updates quicker, remove bloat, WiFi tether options and the ability to remove all those and pesky ads. Of course installing a custom rom was always a plus, which often gave you the ability to overclock your device to make it faster, and undervolt it to improve battery life.
Rooting has gotten much easier over the years, but nowadays rooting isn't as popular since phones have gotten faster, battery life has improved and you no longer need root in order to freeze & hide bloatware.
We have so many more customization options available to us without needing to root your device.

S5 tap'n

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Makes sense. I am loving my turbo. I have disabled much of the bloatware. And the battery life works for me.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
FoxKat, would you root if you could? Just wondering.

I would root if I could, mainly so I could gain wireless tether (hotspot hack), if it's even able to be done now. If not, it would be to be able to use a third party root only app to accomplish the same thing.

But there are other reasons as well. Having root access let's various apps change system level functions and make the phone do things that can't be done without root. It also may allow a custom boot loader which can let you install custom ROMs. I'm not saying I'm into custom ROMs anymore, but it would certainly be interesting to see what developers could come up with.

For instance, developers have incorporated Linaro into a ROM for the Nexus 6 (Nexus 6 Lollipop Dream Rom Compiled With Linaro Android Forum at DroidForums.net ) and based on my limited knowledge of Linaro, it could offer significant increase in operating speed. Android KitKat, and even Lollipop are not using the ARM architecture instruction set to it's greatest advantage by far, and just the demonstrations I saw of Linaro side by side with stock Android I'm convinced of that fact.

(Linaro Android is up to twice as fast as stock Android - Android Authority )

Other ways you can benefit from root are for instance being able to run a full backup with Nandtoid or TIBU, and then at any later date being able to completely restore the device to the way it was in that backup. This is a huge advantage, since it's portable from device to device, so if yours breaks, you can restore to another one and be fully back in business. It also allows you to play with different skins, launchers, etc., and be able to revert to what's familiar in a snap.

And everyone knows about bloat... Fortunately for us, the manufacturers and carriers have listened to their customers (mostly), with respect to some brands, Motorola in particular, and have removed nearly all bloat to give us as pure an Android experience as they could bring themselves to stomach. Even still, there is a good number of built in apps and functions that I can do without and so removing (rather than disabling), those bloatware would be yet another valuable advantage in increased RAM and app storage. I don't need Verizon Navigation, I use Google or Waze, and even playing around with the Nokia one (forgot it's name). There are plenty of other things I'd remove as well.

In a sentence, the versions of Android we're blessed with as of late are great, lean, fast, powerful and fun, however there is plenty of room for improvement, and at the core of Android is customization so why not have complete control?

MarBearCat

Reaction score
I would root if I could, mainly so I could gain wireless tether (hotspot hack), if it's even able to be done now. If not, it would be to be able to use a third party root only app to accomplish the same thing.

But there are other reasons as well. Having root access let's various apps change system level functions and make the phone do things that can't be done without root. It also may allow a custom boot loader which can let you install custom ROMs. I'm not saying I'm into custom ROMs anymore, but it would certainly be interesting to see what developers could come up with.

For instance, developers have incorporated Linaro into a ROM for the Nexus 6 (Nexus 6 Lollipop Dream Rom Compiled With Linaro Android Forum at DroidForums.net ) and based on my limited knowledge of Linaro, it could offer significant increase in operating speed. Android KitKat, and even Lollipop are not using the ARM architecture instruction set to it's greatest advantage by far, and just the demonstrations I saw of Linaro side by side with stock Android I'm convinced of that fact.

(Linaro Android is up to twice as fast as stock Android - Android Authority )

Other ways you can benefit from root are for instance being able to run a full backup with Nandtoid or TIBU, and then at any later date being able to completely restore the device to the way it was in that backup. This is a huge advantage, since it's portable from device to device, so if yours breaks, you can restore to another one and be fully back in business. It also allows you to play with different skins, launchers, etc., and be able to revert to what's familiar in a snap.

And everyone knows about bloat... Fortunately for us, the manufacturers and carriers have listened to their customers (mostly), with respect to some brands, Motorola in particular, and have removed nearly all bloat to give us as pure an Android experience as they could bring themselves to stomach. Even still, there is a good number of built in apps and functions that I can do without and so removing (rather than disabling), those bloatware would be yet another valuable advantage in increased RAM and app storage. I don't need Verizon Navigation, I use Google or Waze, and even playing around with the Nokia one (forgot it's name). There are plenty of other things I'd remove as well.

In a sentence, the versions of Android we're blessed with as of late are great, lean, fast, powerful and fun, however there is plenty of room for improvement, and at the core of Android is customization so why not have complete control?

Chief: Did you get that cat?
Cat: All but one part.
Chief: What part didn't you get?
Cat: The part after "I would root if I could"

=^.".^=

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
My last two phones were rooted. I would root this turbo in a heartbeat, if I could. Besides being able to "play" with it, the one thing I miss is a good ad blocker. The ad blockers out there for non rooted phones don't hold a candle to the one blocker I used.

It's really too bad that, Verizon/Motorola won't let us root it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Another good reason... Thanks for the input, @gimpy1

hegemonyworld

Reaction score
New to the forum here as I finally upgraded to the droid turbo. As for the hotspot requiring root , I was under the impression we all had hotspot available due to the lawsuit Verizon lost.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
New to the forum here as I finally upgraded to the droid turbo. As for the hotspot requiring root , I was under the impression we all had hotspot available due to the lawsuit Verizon lost.

Welcome the forum! The hotspot service is now included in the "More Everything" plans, but not on those still grand-fathered in to unlimited data plans, so that's a reason someone might want to hide the fact that they're tethering to their phone. I was under the impression that Foxfi/pdanet accomplished this without root, but I could be wrong in that assumption, or maybe I've just been lucky enough to have phones that supported it. Either way, I switched to a More Everything plan, so I've got hotspot service the legal way.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Welcome the forum! The hotspot service is now included in the "More Everything" plans, but not on those still grand-fathered in to unlimited data plans, so that's a reason someone might want to hide the fact that they're tethering to their phone. I was under the impression that Foxfi/pdanet accomplished this without root, but I could be wrong in that assumption, or maybe I've just been lucky enough to have phones that supported it. Either way, I switched to a More Everything plan, so I've got hotspot service the legal way.

Apparently Foxfi/PDANET does work, or so I'm told, but not for Wireless Tether, only wired, USB. Neither WIFI nor Bluetooth work since they require activating the radios, and that is apparently locked down in the ROOT system. I am not totally sure why or how they are able to bypass it for wired tether, but apparently it does work. Perhaps since WIFI or Bluetooth requires the radios, and there are FCC requirements and protections afforded the carriers thereof, this allows them to block wireless communication where they don't have the same luxury with hard wires.