Anyone Need Math Help???

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
been taking it for years and I know how hard it is to wrap your head around a new topic or idea so I figured I'd throw this up and see if anyone needs assistance with some problems

I saw this thread at another forum so thought id try it out here and see how it went :)

(math majors, please dont post questions, i dont know the answers lol :icon_ banana:)

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Are you Asian? I heard they are good in math. If not then nope. :D

PS: im just kidding. Im Asian. :D

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
haha surprisingly no im not asian :)

NeoNeo

Reaction score
What formula will tell me on day n how much product has been used to date?

Hi Abe21599,

Glad you asked! Here goes...

I used to get straight A's in algebra in high school and still use some of the basics but this problem eludes me. I need to find out how many mg. of product has been used to date? The amount increased per day remains constant at 2.14 mg. I know the numbers don't matter but this is what I'm dealing with:

day 1 2.14 mg.
day 2 4.28 mg.
day 3 6.42 mg.
day 3 8.56 mg.
etc.

For example, how much product (a powdered medicine, in this case) has been used by day 30? I have a constant (2.14 mg/day) and a variable (in this case, 30). Using simple addition, I can "inch" my way up to day 30 or if I knew the amount for day 29, I could simply add the constant (2.14) to it. But there's gotta be some type of equation that simply provides the accumulated total. Whaddaya think, Abe21599?

Paul

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How are you at math word problems?

A party of three is traveling together and they stop for the night and want a single room because they have a limited budget. The manager tells them the night will cost them thirty bucks. Each member of the party coughs up a ten spot and they go to the room. The manager realizes it is Thursday and the three should have only been charged twenty-five dollars, instead of the weekend rate of thirty dollars. So, the manager calls over the bellhop and gives him five singles to return to the three men. On the way back he realizes that five singles can't be split up three ways. He knows the travelers don't know the actual room rate so he stuffs two bills into his pocket and gives one dollar back to each of the three travelers. Now that each traveler has been given one dollar back they each have paid nine dollars for the room. Nine times three is twenty-seven. The bellhop has two dollars. That brings the total to twenty-nine. Where is the missing dollar?

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi Abe21599,

I used to get straight A's in algebra in high school and still use some of the basics but this problem eludes me. I need to find out how many mg. of product has been used to date? The amount increased per day remains constant at 2.14 mg. I know the numbers don't matter but this is what I'm dealing with:

day 1 2.14 mg.
day 2 4.28 mg.
day 3 6.42 mg.
day 3 8.56 mg.
etc.

For example, how much product (a powdered medicine, in this case) has been used by day 30? I have a constant (2.14 mg/day) and a variable (in this case, 30). Using simple addition, I can "inch" my way up to day 30 or if I knew the amount for day 29, I could simply add the constant (2.14) to it. But there's gotta be some type of equation that simply provides the accumulated total. Whaddaya think, Abe21599?

Paul

its in increments on 2.14 so its just P=2.14X

where p is total product and x is the current day its on

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

A party of three is traveling together and they stop for the night and want a single room because they have a limited budget. The manager tells them the night will cost them thirty bucks. Each member of the party coughs up a ten spot and they go to the room. The manager realizes it is Thursday and the three should have only been charged twenty-five dollars, instead of the weekend rate of thirty dollars. So, the manager calls over the bellhop and gives him five singles to return to the three men. On the way back he realizes that five singles can't be split up three ways. He knows the travelers don't know the actual room rate so he stuffs two bills into his pocket and gives one dollar back to each of the three travelers. Now that each traveler has been given one dollar back they each have paid nine dollars for the room. Nine times three is twenty-seven. The bellhop has two dollars. That brings the total to twenty-nine. Where is the missing dollar?

too many words lol i gotta go eat dinner gimme 30 min :)

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Hi Abe21599,

day 1 2.14 mg.
day 2 4.28 mg.
day 3 6.42 mg.
day 3 8.56 mg.
etc.

Paul

Would that give the total though? If I read the original problem correctly, on day 1, you have 2.14, on day 2 you have 4.28, but combined it is 6.42. It's been too long since my math days LOL.

Mobile post from Droid land

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
they paid 25 for the room (or at least should have). they were returned 3 dollars, bellhop kept 2. thats 30. 25 does not split evenly 3 ways so they paid 8 and come change (8.3333). they each paid this amount (x3 will equal 25) so it adds to 30.

come on if ur gonna mess with me, its gonna have to be harder than that :)

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi Abe21599,

day 1 2.14 mg.
day 2 4.28 mg.
day 3 6.42 mg.
day 3 8.56 mg.
etc.

Paul

Would that give the total though? If I read the original problem correctly, on day 1, you have 2.14, on day 2 you have 4.28, but combined it is 6.42. It's been too long since my math days LOL.

Mobile post from Droid land

lol oh sorry skimmed it when i shouldnt have :icon_ banana:

its been a while since series and sequences gimme a second.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
2.14(n(n+1))/2 with n being the day you want

ParalyzingKings

Reaction score

LoL at googling hardest math word problem ever. And then using the first result...

But, I will play along.

This was on a take home test...

Let P be a point inside the triangle ABC. The lines AP, BP and CP intersect the
circumcircle Γ of triangle ABC again at the points K, L and M respectively. The tangent to Γ at C intersects the line AB at S. Suppose that SC = SP. Prove that MK = ML.

Holla!:icon_eek:

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
uhhh i forgot to mention no proofs :)

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thats googles answer for teh hardest word problem? wow.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
they paid 25 for the room (or at least should have). they were returned 3 dollars, bellhop kept 2. thats 30. 25 does not split evenly 3 ways so they paid 8 and come change (8.3333). they each paid this amount (x3 will equal 25) so it adds to 30.

come on if ur gonna mess with me, its gonna have to be harder than that :)

Lol, ok, that makes you the resident math wiz until someone comes along to knock you off the hill!

Most people I run that by are perplexed for a long time.