Anyone know how to stop ota update and reminder?

Dante2011

Reaction score
I dont mind the ota to a point, but I prefer to wait a month or two to let all the bugs get worked out. This will also give time for a proper re-root method. No mess with forever root, or a new untested root method etc...

Anway, For the moment I am just looking for two good methods for the bionic.

1. How to prevent the phone from automatically downloading any updates. I want to control that manually.

2. Since I did not have step one in place I now have .902 downloaded, but not installed. I need a way to disable the phone reminder about the update.

Anyone know these methods?

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
BlurUpdater_VZW.apk looks like the file that probably checks for updates. found in the system/apps root folder. maybe it can be frozen?

Edit- Its not listed in Titanium Backup so can't be frozen that way. changing the .apk to .bak should work also

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
Reaction score
I need a way to disable the phone reminder about the update.

Did you ever resolve this? I also want the reminder to stop. I have a RAZR, and it's a different update, but if you found a way to stop the reminder, the method might be the same.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Make a backup copy of your build.prop file (like build.prop.orig) and edit the build.prop file by changing the following lines:

ro.build.description=cdma_targa-user 2.3.4 5.5.1_84_DBN-71 120106 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/targa_vzw/cdma_targa:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_DBN-71/120106:user/release-keys

This tells the system you already have .902. It may still give you a notification about the update because you have already downloaded it. I was in a similar situation and fixed it by going into cw recovery through bootstrap and wiping cache and wiping dalvik. Do make sure the update isn't on your sdcard-ext or internal first. After a re-boot, the notification was gone. When you want to take the update, replace build.prop with the one you backed up and you will get the OTA notification and can take it then. I can't absolutely be sure this will work on the bionic, but I did this all the time on my original droid to keep ota's from messing with my custom rom. As long as you have a copy of your original build.prop, it can't hurt anything.

Reaction score
Actually, I just used the Bloatware Freezer to freeze Updater (com.motorola.blur.updater). That was several hours ago and I haven't been reminded to update since.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Actually, I just used the Bloatware Freezer to freeze Updater (com.motorola.blur.updater). That was several hours ago and I haven't been reminded to update since.

Nice, glad it worked! Now enjoy the silence lol

Sent from my Rooted ICS'd VTAB1008 using DroidForums

gmflyer23

Reaction score
Yea I just used a freezer app to stop the ota reminder and have not seen it in days. This works nice.

pascal333

Reaction score
Possible to stop OTA update nags without root?

Yea I just used a freezer app to stop the ota reminder and have not seen it in days. This works nice.

Is there a way to block the update nagging if the phone is not rooted?